Please proof read my essay. Nobody has had any suggestions so far

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 02:43 pm
Anonymous:
Would you Still Eat There?

As a society, we have the habit of complaining about trivial things. I remember when I started my first job that I thought it was just ridiculous that we had to sweep and pick up trash from the parking lot. I had never realized how minor the complaints we had were until my previous job at Verona’s. The head cook, Cole, came from Albania and is also the co-owner of the restaurant. Because he has such authority, and assuming because of his culture, Cole believes he has the right to act as he chooses. His complete lack of respect for Health Code, the inappropriate comments to female workers, and his sexist views are outrageous and must be corrected.
I have worked in the food industries for seven years, I understand and respect the importance of Health Code. I was astonished when I walked into the back kitchen on my first day to see a cigarette hanging out of Cole’s mouth while he was cooking. Being surprised by, this I asked our head waitress about the smoking policy. She informed me that, although both cooks smoke and drink in the kitchen, nobody is allowed to confront them. Germs are obviously not a concern for this restaurant. Many times pizza would slide off the pan and land on the floor, but if the appearance was not ruined they would send it out to the table. The main violation that concerned me was the reuse of bread. All tables would get a basket of rolls for their meals. When a table did not eat all of the bread, we were to take what remained and place them in a dry, clean dish tub so it was not wasted by being thrown away.
The head waitress was involved in my interview and hiring with Cole. When she called me to offer me a job, she said “Ya know, all Cole cares about is if the waitress is attractive and has a nice body, but I was impressed with your experience.” Even though this was completely uncalled for and offended me, I still started work. At least once a night, Cole will be touching or have his arms around one of the girls he finds attractive. The uncomfortableness that they feel is unacceptable. I’ve heard stories about a cook getting fired because of dating a girl Cole thought was attractive and Cole firing girls for not putting up with him. The issue for us “unattractive girls” is constantly being ignored or being yelled at.
Being treated like worthless trash because I am a girl is one of the most angering things I have experienced. I was told on my first day that I should never speak to Cole unless absolutely necessary. At first, I thought this was understandable since they are busy back in the kitchen most of the time and do not need distractions. One day when I said hello to Cole and asked how he was, I realized that was not the reason they told me not to talk to him. The look on his face showed that he was offended that I spoke to him, and he screamed “NO TALKING! WORK, WORK IS WORK. YOU DON’T SPEAK.” Remembering that my coworkers told me not to let anything he says to get to me, I brushed it off. It was not until the day he sent me home because he heard me humming that I began to let me affect me.
There are always other reasons to complain at work, but one should try to look at important issues. No person should have to work in an environment such as this. Serious changes must be made in this company. People should never questions their self-worth, especially the younger girls, because of the way someone treats them. Nor should customers served something of lesser quality with bacteria because the company wants to save money and ignore guidelines.

View best answer, chosen by Kaylaray90
Butrflynet

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 03:53 pm
@Kaylaray90,
It needs to be trimmed down by about 30%. There is a lot of unnecessary verbosity.

Once done, I'll take the time to proofread the revision.
ossobuco

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 04:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Also, some of us don't want to read text blocks, being used to the mode of skipping a line between paragraphs. Easy enough to fix, if you are willing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 04:05 pm
@Kaylaray90,
There are laws against sexual harassment. Also, I agree with butrflynet that you need to remove most of the verbosity.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 04:21 pm
@Kaylaray90,
Carriage return between paras also helps
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 05:03 pm
@Kaylaray90,
Quote:
Remembering that my coworkers told me not to let anything he says to get to me, I brushed it off. It was not until the day he sent me home because he heard me humming that I began to let me affect me.

Were you meaning to write,"...that I began to let it affect me" ?
Kaylaray90

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's for an English course and must be between 600-700. I know i rambled and put more informations than needed, but it was the only way I could make it the required length. I'm not very creative when it comes to Essay writing. Thank you for the feedback though.
Kaylaray90

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:36 pm
@giujohn,
Yes. Thank you. My mind just acts like the word is there when i read it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 09:46 pm
@Kaylaray90,
If you are trying to meet a required word count, add more strengthening depth to your story rather than weakening verbiage.

Think of your story like a watercolor painting. More paint and less water makes the colors vibrant and the subject interesting. It provides depth and contrast. Too much water mutes the colors and dulls the interest. Add a tree with a variety of vibrant autumn colors rather than yet another hundred blades of dull grass.

Also, read up on what is called the passive voice and how to correct it. That alone will give your story more interest.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 04:59 am
@Kaylaray90,
Kaylaray90 wrote:

It's for an English course and must be between 600-700. I know i rambled and put more informations than needed, but it was the only way I could make it the required length. I'm not very creative when it comes to Essay writing. Thank you for the feedback though.
Never say: "informations". Say: information.
OmSigDAVID
  Selected Answer

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:47 am
@Kaylaray90,
Kaylaray90 wrote:

Anonymous:
Would you Still Eat There?

As a society, we have the habit of complaining about trivial things.
I remember when I started my first job that I thought it was just ridiculous that we had to sweep and pick up trash from the parking lot. I had never realized how minor the complaints we had were until my previous job at Verona’s. The head cook, Cole, came from Albania and is he also the co-owner of the restaurant. Because he has such authority, and I assume because of his culture, Cole believes he has the right to act as he chooses. His complete lack of respect for the Health Code, his inappropriate comments to female workers, and his sexist views are outrageous and must be corrected.

I have worked in the food industry for seven years. I understand and respect the importance of the Health Code. I was astonished when I walked into the back kitchen on my first day to see a cigarette hanging out of Cole’s mouth while he was cooking. Being surprised by [no comma] this I asked our head waitress about the smoking policy. She informed me that, although both cooks smoke and drink in the kitchen, nobody is allowed to confront them. Germs are obviously not a concern for this restaurant. Many times pizza would slide off the pan and land on the floor, but if the appearance was not ruined they would send it out to the table. The main violation that concerned me was the re-use of bread. All tables would get a basket of rolls for their meals. When the customers at a table did not eat all of the bread, we were obligated to take what remained and place that bread in a dry, clean dish tub so that it was not wasted by being thrown away.

The head waitress was involved in my interview and hiring in addition to Cole. When she called me to offer me the job, she said “Ya know, all Cole cares about is if the waitress is attractive and has a nice body, but I was impressed with your experience.” Even though this was completely uncalled for and offended me, I still started work. At least once per night, Cole touches or has his arms around one of the girls he finds attractive. The discomfort that they feel is unacceptable.

I’ve heard stories about a cook getting fired because of dating a girl Cole thought was attractive and Cole firing girls for not putting up with him. The issue for us “unattractive girls” is constantly being ignored or being verbally abused.
Being treated like worthless trash because I am a girl is one of the most angering things I have experienced. I was told on my first day that I should never speak to Cole unless absolutely necessary. At first, I thought this was understandable since they are busy back in the kitchen most of the time and do not need distractions. One day when I said hello to Cole and asked how he was, I realized that was not the reason that they told me not to talk to him. The look on his face showed that he was offended that I spoke to him, and he screamed “NO TALKING! WORK, WORK IS WORK. YOU DON’T SPEAK.” Remembering that my co-workers told me not to let anything he says to get to me, I brushed it off. It was not until the day he sent me home because he heard me humming that I began to let it affect me.

There are always other reasons to complain at work, but one should try to look at important issues. No one should have to work in an environment such as this. Serious changes must be made in this company. People should never question [no s] their self-worth, especially not the younger girls, because of the way someone treats them, nor should customers be served something of lesser quality contaminated with bacteria because the company wants to save money by ignoring guidelines.
cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'd just add,
Quote:
People should never question [no s] their self-worth, especially not the younger girls, because of the way someone treats them, nor should customers be served something of lesser quality contaminated with bacteria because the company wants to save money by ignoring legal guidelines.
0 Replies

Kaylaray90

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I meant information, I promise I'm aware that infromations is incorrect lol
0 Replies

Kaylaray90

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you very much!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:54 pm
@Kaylaray90,
ERRATUM:
"The head cook, Cole, came from Albania
and is he also the co-owner of the restaurant"

Properly is rendered:
The head cook, Cole, came from Albania and he is
also the co-owner of the restaurant.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 01:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

ERRATUM:
"The head cook, Cole, came from Albania
and is he also the co-owner of the restaurant"

Properly is rendered:
The head cook, Cole, came from Albania and he is
also the co-owner of the restaurant.
Note that this mistake
originated in MY editing. It was not your fault.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Also, read up on what is called the passive voice and how to correct it. That alone will give your story more interest.

Before you go handing out advice, BFN, and pointing someone to bogus links, you really ought to understand what you are talking about. The websites you picked are terrible.

From your second "source":

Quote:
The sentence construction “(noun) (verb phrase) by (noun)” is known as passive voice or passive construction, ... .

Not so. Their first example is not the passive.

People are doing the Twist by Chubby Checker.
(Noun - verb phrase - by noun)

Not passive.

Again, your source:

Quote:
The actors in this little drama are the spam spenders — or, to be more active, the spam senders are the actors in this little drama.

Both sentences are examples of the active voice. You can't get more active than the active. This idiot you have chosen as one to help others correct their passive voice doesn't have the foggiest notion.

This nonsense about the passive voice is nothing more than Strunk & White bullshit; just one of the bullshit items that has plagued American students for
centuries.

And your first website is a god awful piece of crap that is riddled with the same errors that have "not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; [it] has significantly degraded it".

See,

50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice
By Geoffrey K. Pullum APRIL 17, 2009

http://m.chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497#sthash.OkHfhxjI.dpuf

Butrflynet

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:53 pm
@JTT,
Welcome back JTT. It is so nice to have your cheerful posts around here again. Been on vacation?
JTT

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
I love the a2k manner in which you have addressed this issue, BFN. Your mum would be proud.

You obviously didn't like what you heard. Do you think that deception is how it oughta be handled?

How about another source?

Quote:
Confusion over avoiding the passive

Many grammarians and commentators on usage and writing have delivered themselves of truly fantastic statements about the passive construction. Almost without exception, they recommend that you should try to avoid it. Some denigrate and deplore it in more extreme terms, treating it as unnatural, evasive, or unmanly, or even evil.

The passive is of course perfectly respectable, and there is no reason to try to avoid it. (To say that it shouldn't be over-used, or it shouldn't be used where it is inappropriate, doesn't distinguish it from any other construction or expression.) It would be quite peculiar for there to be a way of constructing clauses, well known to everyone, that was generally not appropriate for use. If everyone who understood how to use the language well could see that the passive was not fit to be used, its survival down the centuries would be almost inexplicable.

In truth, the passive is very often exactly the right way to frame a clause in a particular context, and all competent authors use passives frequently. The people who recommend against it use it themselves, even while talking about how you should not use it. For example, in the act of explaining that you should "Use the active voice" because it is "more direct and vigorous than the passive", William Strunk and E. B. White assert that "Many a tame sentence . . . can be made lively and emphatic by substituting a transitive in the active voice" (see section 14 of their book The Elements of Style). Their sentence defies their warning; it contains an instance of the passive voice itself (can be made lively and emphatic). They then proceed to give four examples together with illustrations of how to improve them "by substituting a transitive in the active voice", but only one illustrates the passive (it is not quite clear whether they thought all four were passives), and for one of them, At dawn the crowing of a rooster could be heard, they propose the replacement The cock's crow came with dawn, which (since came is intransitive) does not have a transitive in the active voice!

For an excellent example of the sort of misdirected grammar advice given in writing courses as a result of confusion about what the passive voice is, take a look at this page (kindly provided by Craig Russell) from a student paper as corrected in red by a teaching assistant at a top private university on the East Coast of the USA:

READ ON AT [and then go and sin no more Smile]

http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/grammar/passives.html
Butrflynet

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:14 pm
@JTT,
Actually, mom would be more proud of me telling you to go **** yourself. I'm afraid I disappoint her by paying notice to your return. It was a mistake and won't happen again. Carry on.