2004 Elections: Democratic Party Contenders

PDiddie

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:20 am
(Will fishin' let us talk about the general? He hasn't declared yet...)

This guy is my pick today.

He'd also be my first choice for V.P., should he be found lacking by the electorate for the top job.

Lots of time, energy, and money still to be spent but any combination of Dean, Edwards, Graham, or Clark would be formidable.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:27 am
It's hard to discuss Clark at any length. He hasn't really disclosed his views on anything other than the Iraqi situation. While that issue may become a centerpiece of the Democratic Party platform in 2004 there are LOTS of other issues that are still out there where his positions are unknown. I don't think many people will see him as a push-over or a wimp but there is a big gap between that and winning the primaries.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:13 pm
Leiberman is in. Usually, the DNC and RNC like to stamp their guy early. Saves money.

Wonder who the DNC likes in the current pack?
I say Joltin' Joe, because of the immense respect he has in Congress, and his place on the Gore ticket. They got close, but Gore was the one who took the political hit by losing. Leiberman came out smelling like a rose.
It would be a toss up between him and Kerry, I think. (Not the vote, but the party support.)

Who is the behind the scenes power in the Dem party? Kennedy? Hillary? Who would they pick?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:06 pm
I'm hearing more talk about Clark. Some funny reactions to the Iraq situation. It seems to have made a lot of people aware of the military role, and so there's more attention being paid to Kerry and Clark - an unintentioned result of Bush's tries to work up enthusiasm for an Iraq war this past year.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:35 pm
A Democratic Candidate who happened to be a Retired 4-Star General would be an interesting thing to see. To acheive any viability as a candidate, Clark would have to begin arranging opportunities to bring his views on other domestic and foreign issues to the electorate. There is little reason to doubt he would have the administrative skills to handle the job, but I would like to know an awful lot more about his other sensibilities before putting him in The Oval Office. I doubt, however, that he will be among the frontrunners come sorting-out time.

timber
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 12:23 am
Hi All:

I can't talk about my favorite either, she hasn't declared and say's she won't! Fishin' is a bummer ... Crying or Very sad

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 12:25 am
This doesn't look good about Clark - any validity?
Clark Dirt
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 12:33 am
Hey littlek,

Don't you ever sleep for heavens sakes! What's more, Saturday night and you're here ... Shame !!!!

"Clark the dirt" makes one point which explains some of the dirt for sure. Clark is a "close friend" of Clinton. That fact alone should draw fire!

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 10:30 am
horrors!

I sleep, I just don't have a life.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:27 pm
littlek - I read the Clark link. Consider the sources.. Robert Novak doesn't like him. Another source is freerepublic, and the freepers are hardly an unbiased, look at the facts group. Another source is CounterPunch, which proudly announces itself as a muckraking newletter with a radical attitude. And, as Anon says, a friend of Bill Clinton.

I shouldn't think he'd be a serious contender now - too unknown - but the way I read it it seemed mostly the usual sour grapes thing. Whatever happens, it's an interesting thought. Not since Eisenhower have we had a military consideration.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 03:11 pm
I am enjoying the interaction among members. I hope you will stay around for the coming months.

I suspect the public would be willing to accept a new face. It depends on the events of recent history. President Carter met the need for someone with moral, high-minded behavior; as it turned out, IMO, he was not one of our more effective Presidents.

I wonder which Democrat would best meet the circumstances of the time. Would you select the same person for each situation?
...The war is over and the Muslim population fall behind the notion that we are pursuing world domination.
...The war is over. Iraqians appear to enjoy the opportunity to redefine themselves.
...The U.S. experiences two or three major terrorists attacks. Hundreds more die.
...The economy to slow down. The world economy relapses to a major depression.
...The economy makes a strong recovery.
...You define a situation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 03:20 pm
mamajuana - that's the way it seemed to me too.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:43 pm
Hmmm. This is rather brazen for someone who hasn't declared yet... Shocked

Graham: 'I am going to be president'
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:45 pm
wow, that's something else, huh?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 06:19 pm
Given the current penchant for "Dirty Politics", Negative Campaigning, and Attack Ads, the Dem's could generate a wide assortment of thoroughly besmirched candidates and find themselves unable to front an unsullied pitchman come crunch time. There is great evidence of divisiveness, disaray, and disorientation in The Party at the moment. I wonder if The Democratic Party might not have itself firmly by the tail.

timber
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 09:47 pm
Timber:

To say the Demos have themselves firmly by the tail would connotate some kind of control ... I think that's a reach right now. Smile

Anon
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 09:52 pm
LOL ... good point Anon. But then, I never underestimate an enemy .... Twisted Evil

timber
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 10:24 pm
Well who is the cutest that is what I need to know before I vote.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 10:27 pm
I like what I've seen of Howard Dean. He doesn't talk like the others, with one finger up, testing the wind to see what he should say. He was alone in not signing onto Bush's plan on Iraq, and he is very blunt in his opposition to the entirety of Bush's plans for the ecomony. Whoever is the nominee, the democrats need someone who is not afraid to take the fight to the opposition, full out.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 10:31 pm
Just vote for the front-runner when the time comes. General consensus is: Cuteness is the number #1 criteria for the Dems.

Maybe they could get Bon Jovi to make a run for it.

edit-- Edwards seems to do it for most. I like the older type. So far, Mark Clark would be my man. Tall, commanding, has uniforms...
0 Replies