2004 Elections: Democratic Party Contenders

Tartarin

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:13 pm
Welcome Heywood! and thanks for that feel-good post!

If we could all be just observers and not participants in the upcoming mess, the next twelve to eighteen months might be pure entertainment. There are a lot of subplots not yet being explored.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:10 pm
More of the way the military treats sexual assault:Raped while on deployment

Quote:
Female U.S. Soldier Alleges Rape in Kuwait

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - A female soldier reported she was raped at a desert post in Kuwait where her unit was preparing for its mission in Iraq, a military official said Sunday.

Maj. Vic Harris, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kuwait, confirmed that the female soldier was with the Stryker battalion at Camp Udairi, where the rape allegedly occurred Saturday.

``We can't give any specifics because the incident is under investigation,'' he said.

Detectives with the Army's Criminal Investigation Division cordoned off the area around a cargo container next to the shower trailer where the alleged assault occurred, the Tacoma News Tribune reported in Sunday's editions. The Stryker brigade, also known as the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, was trained at Fort Lewis, Wash.

``The soldier is being provided with medical care and emotional support,'' brigade spokesman Lt. Col. Joseph Piek said in a statement released Saturday in Kuwait.

Agents from Camp Arifjan, another Army post near Kuwait City, are handling the investigation. It wasn't immediately clear Sunday if the investigators had detained anyone in the case or had any suspects.

``This brigade's overall focus is getting ready for Iraq,'' Piek told The News Tribune. ``That does not diminish the seriousness of the alleged crime ... But it's not the kind of thing we need to be dealing with just a short time before we go north.''

Female soldiers said they were exercising caution in the camp after dark. There are about 310 women in the brigade of about 5,000 soldiers.

``It's sad. You can't trust your own people,'' said Staff Sgt. Theresa Spicer, a supply sergeant with the brigade headquarters.

Camp Udairi, 10 miles south of the Iraq border, also includes about 2,000 troops who are not part of the brigade and several hundred civilian contract employees.

11/30/03 14:06

What can one expect from an environment where women are referred to as "split tails?"
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:22 pm
hobitbob wrote:

No, I advocate punishment of those who participated in an offensive act.

They weren't participants, unless you classify the whole convention as :an offensive act". Just what is "an offensive act"? Does it require a crime? Or is it sufficient to offend you? Do you advocate punishment in the absence of a crime? Do you believe Clinton's pardon of Mark Rich was "an offensive act"?

hobitbob wrote:
Oh, please! Rolling Eyes What an intellectually shallow response!

Well I'll concede your expertise in this aspect of intellectual activity, but I lived in Cherry Creek for a few years and know the Post well.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:45 pm
Ahhh ... Cheerless Creek, Swamp Lagoon ... them was the days. The froglegs at The Whistlin' Pig Drive-In were delightful. So were the carhops' legs.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
Howard Dean is being interviewed on the Diane Rehm show this morning. I haven't heard him for a while and am very impressed by his ability to answer questions quickly and thoroughly. Above all, he doesn't couch his answers in Washington fuzz (as when a politician refers to the "Amurrican people" who always seem to agree with whatever he has to say). He's very straightforward, very well-informed, very able to articulate his points of view, masterly at distinguishing himself from the other candidates without rancor, all without resorting to jargon or newspeak. You can get the audio later, if you're interested, at wamu.org.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:51 am
tah, doll
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
georgeob quote:

Clinton violated Federal law and written Executive Department policy by engaging in a sexual act with a subordinate in the workplace, and, at least in the eyes of one Federal Judge, committed perjury in a deposition involving another case. In addition there was the matter of reckless behavior and a serious lapse of judgement on the part of a senior official,

Unquote

You, of course, have proof of the Federal law, the Executive department policy and the fact that the Federal Judge actually called the misleading testimony "perjury."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:09 am
I don't know about anyone else, but I find tremendous weakness -- intellectual and moral -- in these arguments which rely on slamming Clinton. If you can't find a way to justify your side's behaviors without doing this, you're in poor shape. I don't know if any others, sitting staring at their monitors, do this when coming across stuff like the Mark Rich comment above -- but I snort and giggle. It's all so... neener neener....!
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:10 am
Tartarin wrote:
Howard Dean is being interviewed on the Diane Rehm show this morning. I haven't heard him for a while and am very impressed by his ability to answer questions quickly and thoroughly. Above all, he doesn't couch his answers in Washington fuzz (as when a politician refers to the "Amurrican people" who always seem to agree with whatever he has to say). He's very straightforward, very well-informed, very able to articulate his points of view, masterly at distinguishing himself from the other candidates without rancor, all without resorting to jargon or newspeak. You can get the audio later, if you're interested, at wamu.org.

I'll see if I can check it out later.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think that Dean would make for a good race against Bush. That's not to suggest that I think Dean would have a chance, but if your critique of his style is accurate, his voice might make for a more meaningful debate of the issues during the campaigns.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:25 am
It's all going to boil down on not whether Dean has a chance but if Bush has a chance of reelection. They have one year as a window to boast about a recovering economy, a positive direction with the war and occupation of Iraq, and a more concrete structuring of Social Security and Medicare. Right now, he's not doing great on those subjects and that's not discounting environmental and other measures that will not bode well with the majority of voters. If Nader or some other insurgent candidate likes Dean and decides not to run will obviously have some influence on the outcome.
There's certainly no Perot on the horizon!

Thanks for trying to get back to the subject -- all this Tailgate and Clinton "controversy" is flaying at windmills.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
You put it in the correct context, LW. Dean is the challenger -- Bush has to defend himself. And he's got an uphill battle. The election will be yet another measure of the effectiveness of too much money and PR. It didn't work for him in 2000 -- maybe it won't work in 2004.

As Dys has posted in another thread, the Colorado Supreme Court has turned down the Republicans on redistricting. Here's a quick summary from the Washington Post -- relevant here for its effect on the attempt by Republicans to create a stronger base by strong-arming:

Quote:
Colorado Supreme Court Throws Out Redistricting Plan

GOP-Led Legislature Redrew Congressional Map This Year

The Associated Press
Monday, December 1, 2003; 9:55 AM

DENVER -- In a decision that could have national implications, the Colorado Supreme Court threw out the state's new congressional districts Monday because the GOP-led Legislature redrew the maps in violation of the constitution.
The General Assembly is required to redraw the maps only after each census and before the ensuing general election -- not at any other time, the court said in a closely watched decision. A similar court battle is being waged in Texas.
Under the ruling, Colorado's seven congressional districts revert to boundaries drawn up by a Denver judge last year after lawmakers failed to agree.
The issue before the court was whether the redistricting map pushed through the Legislature by Republicans this year was illegal. Colorado's constitution calls for redistricting only once a decade and Democrats contended the task was completed by the judge.
Republicans said the map drawn by the judge was temporary and the law requires redistricting work to be done by the Legislature.
Republicans now hold five of the state's seven congressional seats. Democrats hope to pick up two of those seats if they win the court fight.
State GOP Chairman Ted Halaby had said the case could end up in the U.S. Supreme Court if there are conflicting decisions in Colorado and Texas, which also has a pending court challenge.
"This is the whole ball of wax," said Tom Downey, an attorney for Colorado Democrats who challenged the Republican-drawn maps
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A25091-2003Dec1.html
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:08 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It's all going to boil down on not whether Dean has a chance but if Bush has a chance of reelection.

I do NOT mean this as an insult, but I can't help thinking that to make this argument is to indicate that you are utterly out of touch with the reality of the political climate going into next year's election.

Of course, my making the above statement might suggest to you how out of touch I am with that reality. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:41 am
The Wasington Post, cited by Tart, wrote:
The issue before the court was whether the redistricting map pushed through the Legislature by Republicans this year was illegal. Colorado's constitution calls for redistricting only once a decade and Democrats contended the task was completed by the judge.
Republicans said the map drawn by the judge was temporary and the law requires redistricting work to be done by the Legislature.

There's the fly in the Democrat ointment. The Supremes are tired of Democrat attempts to accomplish through judicial fiat that which clearly is required of the legislative process. In any dispute over gameplay revolving around rules, its the rulebook which rules.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:45 am
Information question: Is the practice of fishy redistricting a predominantly Republican practice? I'm asking because as I currently understand it, it's a common if corrupt practice followed by all incumbents -- Democratic or Republican.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:47 am
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:47 am
Timber said
Quote:
"In any dispute over gameplay revolving around rules, its the rulebook which rules"

and it appears the Supremes said the rules were broken by the repubs
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:10 pm
neener neerer

There's always flys in the ointment.

I don't know the details in Colorado. Did the Republicans want the legislature to decide before or after they had the votes to draw the map in their favor? Let me guess...............
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:29 pm
Thomas -- I think redistricting has been a political football for years but not the political grenade the Republicans have turned it into. How many times have there been off-year redistrictings in past years? Anyone know the history of this? With any luck the mess the Reps have made in Colorado and Texas (there's a court action pending in Texas too, of course) may stimulate reform. One can only hope!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:35 pm
Quote:
Gerrymandering
Every decade, following the decennial census, the state legislatures of the United States are told how many representatives their state will send to the House of Representatives. Representation is based on state population and there are a total of 435 representatives, so some states may gain representatives while others loose them. It is the responsibility of each state legislature to redistrict their state into the appropriate numbers of congressional districts.
Since a single party usually controls each state legislature, it is in the best interest of the party in power to redistrict their state so that their party will have more seats in Congress than the opposition party. This manipulation of electoral districts is known as gerrymandering. Although illegal, gerrymandering is the process of modifying congressional districts to benefit the party in power.

The term gerrymandering is derived from Elbridge Gerry (1744-1814), the governor of Massachusetts from 1810 to 1812. In 1812, Governor Gerry signed a bill into law that redistricted his state to overwhelmingly benefit his party, the Republican Party. The opposition party, the Federalists, were quite upset. One of the congressional districts was shaped very strangely and, as the story goes, one Federalist remarked that the district looked like a salamander. No, said another Federalist, it's a gerrymander. The Boston Weekly Messenger brought the term gerrymander into common usage when it subsequently printed an editorial cartoon that showed the district in question with a monster's head, arms, and tail and named the creature a gerrymander.

Governor Gerry went on to become vice president under James Madison from 1813 until his death a year later. Gerry was the second vice president to die in office.

Gerrymandering, which had taken place prior to the coinage of the name and continued for many decades thereafter, has been challenged many times in federal courts and has been legislated against. In 1842, the Reapportionment Act required that congressional districts be contiguous and compact. In 1962, the Supreme Court ruled that districts must follow the principle of "one man, one vote" and have fair borders and an appropriate population mixture. Most recently, the Supreme Court ruled in 1985 that manipulating district borders to give an advantage to one political party was unconstitutional.

There are three techniques used to gerrymander districts. All involve creating districts that have a goal of encompassing a certain percentage of voters from one political party.

The first method is called the "excess vote." It is an attempt to concentrate the voting power of the opposition into just a few districts, to dilute the power of the opposition party outside of those districts that contain an overwhelming majority of the opposition's voters.

The second method is know as the "wasted vote." This method of gerrymandering involves diluting the voting power of the opposition across many districts, preventing the opposition from having a majority vote in as many districts as possible.

Finally, the "stacked" method involves drawing bizarre boundaries to concentrate the power of the majority party by linking distant areas into specific, party-in-power districts.

The process of reapportionment (to divide the 435 seats in the House of Representatives into the fifty states) will take place soon after the April 1, 2000 Census. Since the primary purpose of the census is to count the number of residents of the United States for purposes of representation, the Census Bureau's highest priority is to provide data for redistricting. Basic data must be provided to the states within one year of the Census - April 1, 2001.

Computers and GIS were utilized in the 1990 Census by the states to make redistricting as fair as possible. Despite the use of computers, politics does get in the way and many redistricting plans are challenged in the courts. We certainly won't expect accusations of gerrymandering to vanish anytime soon.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa030199.htm
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Timber said
Quote:
"In any dispute over gameplay revolving around rules, its the rulebook which rules"

and it appears the Supremes said the rules were broken by the repubs

In point of fact, they argued that the state didn't play by rules foisted upon them by federal judges. (Right?) So you have some judges arguing that the Republicans didn't adequately follow the instructions of other judges in creating the map. All of this could be avoided if judges stopped trying to create solutions. That is not their role. If the law or current method doesn't pass muster, they are welcome to strike it down, but they should not be in the business of coming up with a replacement or solution; that is the job of the legislature.
0 Replies