Looking for the meaning of a few idioms

Pixie

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:42 am
If you could tell me the meaning of these tree idioms and expressions, you could really help me out.

Having a stick in the cupboard
Tiger economy
To top up
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,171 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Wy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:03 am
Only one I've ever heard is "top up" -- the way I've heard it used, it means to add a little gasoline to your tank to make it completely full; you might top up your tank before leaving on a long trip so you could go as far as possible without having to stop for gas.

The other two are unfamiliar to me. The first one might mean that you have a weapon or an argument available to you that you're choosing not to use right now, but that gives you confidence... The second one, maybe, is a strong economy? Both of these are just guesses...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:17 am
Wy--

I agree with your "top up" and with your educated guesses for the other terms.

Pixie--

Welcome to A2K. I hope you'll stick around.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:33 am
Welcome Pixie! I wish I knew what those idioms meant Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:10 am
There was a phase when a number of Asian countries - such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia - were booming - they were referred to as the Asian Tiger economies.

The boom went bust most 'orribly.

Late eighties, early nineties this was?
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:29 pm
"stick in the cupboard" means a power that is hidden or kept in reserve - one imagines that it is the same stick as in the expression "walk/speak softly and carry a big stick". Say, Invite your opponents to the table, but have a stick in the cupboard.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:24 pm
dlowan wrote:
There was a phase when a number of Asian countries - such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia - were booming - they were referred to as the Asian Tiger economies.
Quote:

They were also known as the 'Dragons' at that point. After their economies went into terminal spin they were known as the 'Rabbits', lacking purpose, direction, fiscal prudence, afflicted with halitosis, chronic flatuence, unsightly skin conditions, and a disturbing habit of biting the geniunely afflicted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:43 pm
<snicker>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:50 pm
I still say you're lying about more than a FISH, Roger.

Snicker yerself.

Pondy - you want some trauma therapy over that bite?

I charge $200 an hour.
0 Replies

Pixie

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:18 am
I need to know the meaning to understand a few English texts.

I'll put up the full phrases here:

Lord Currie likened this to "the regulator having a stick in the cupboard and everyone - the regulator included - hoping that's where it stays".

South Korea was a tiger economy.

Why we shouldn't just be topping up the number of graduates.

I hope this will help out and the meaning might be clear for some now. I really appreciate any help on this.
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:25 am
South Korea was a tiger economy. The original tiger economies were the Four Tigers of Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea. :wink:
World Wide Words
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:31 am
Good,Peter. Smile
0 Replies

Pixie

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:20 am
Thank you.

If someone could find the explanation for the two other ones, I would appreciate it.
0 Replies