cavfancier

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:43 pm
perception wrote:
Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

See?
0 Replies

kickycan

Cav, why are you explaining yourself to yourself?
0 Replies

kickycan

Okay, now I get it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:55 pm
Yes kicky, it's hard for me being such a deep thinker. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:07 pm
Re: It's official… Bush has my vote and that's final. This's
joefromchicago wrote:
That death penalty discussion really got your goat, didn't it?

It did. It is also the finest example of a man, "masterfully debating the wrong side of right", I have ever seen. And frankly Joe, that argument makes a perfect example of your words, "uniquely idiotic reasons", too.

kickycan wrote:
There ain't enough money in the world to stop people from being brutal to each other. If you believe the best solution is to invade, then how many other countries should be on the invasion list?.

True enough kicky, we can't stop it all. I do believe, however, we can stop the STATE abusers in there tracks. The list of potential candidates would be quite long, but as we start crossing off names "Bad guys" will start scrambling to get their names removed. Think Pakistan. Think Libya… Libya for crying out loud. Everyone knows we have the strength. No one knows if we have the will. If we prove we have the will, they'd have little choice but to pay heed to our strength. Starting with economic pressure, but if that doesn't work in something less than a decade, with a dozens warnings, then yes! We use the military option.

kickycan wrote:
So you are saying that anyone who doesn't agree that invading and occupying a whole country is the only way to stop state-sponsored atrocities is advocating state-sponsored atrocities? Interesting take.

Kicky, I have enough words in my mouth without you adding new ones... Though there is some truth in your statement. Nothing short of invasion would have stopped Saddam, his sons, and goon squads from raping and murdering children in front of their parents, for the high crime of dissention. Like it or not, that's the cold hard truth. As for occupation: it still remains to be seen how long it will take to restore security and return full sovereign rights to Iraq. Speculate all you wish, but nobody knows.

theollady: I think we understand each other as well as we are going to, too.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:11 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Yes kicky, it's hard for me being such a deep thinker. Laughing

Mercy--mercy: And to think that I ever took you seriously????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:02 pm
Bookmarking for later discussion.

One small point - are you gonna invade the US and Britain and Oz too, Bill?

Selling kids happens everywhere.

More so in poor countries, of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:04 pm
I haven't answered your poll.

Perhaps one might consider differentiating sentencing for a starving teenage parent in some slum, and a rich businessman running a string of underage brothels?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:13 pm
Bill, Bush doesn't have an altruistic bone in his body. If you think that greedy piece of garbage has any concern for the children of the world, think again.

It's all about the money, baby. All about the money.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:16 pm
dlowan wrote:

Perhaps one might consider differentiating sentencing for a starving teenage parent in some slum, and a rich businessman running a string of underage brothels?

I couldn't fing newer satistics, but these are as old as some others ...:

Girls involved in prostitution are increasingly getting younger, dropping from 14, to 13 and 12 years of age. Child prostitution in the United States began to escalate in the late 1980's after new laws made it more difficult for officials to detain runaway children. (Lois Lee, founder of Children of the Night, Brad Knickerbocker, "Prostitution's Pernicious Reach Grows in the US," Christian Science Monitor, 23 October 1996)

In Ohio, over the past seven years, the average age when a girl enters prostitution has decreased from 16 to 14. The demand for prostituted children is increasing, as men feel safer from AIDS with younger girls. 75 to 95% of all prostitutes were sexually abused as children. Many prostitutes are high school dropouts, come from poor and abusive homes, move from place to place and are alcoholics or drug addicts. (Debra Boyer, U. Washington, Susan Breault of the Paul & Lisa Program, "Danger for prostitutes increasing, most starting younger," Beacon Journal, 21 September 1997)

2,632 youths were reported missing, more than 60% of them are listed as endangered runaways, who often end up as prostitutes in Ohio in 1996. Attacks against prostitutes were increasing as of September 1997. (State Attorney General, "Danger for prostitutes increasing, most starting younger," Beacon Journal, 21 September 1997)

16.9 is the average age of entry into prostitution for girls. (Delancey Street Foundation, San Francisco, "The lost boys," Sarah McNaught, The Boston Phoenix, 23-30 October 1997)

14 years is the average age of entry into prostitution for boys, 25 years of age is the average age that men leave prostitution. Male prostitutes usually do not have pimps. (Sean Haley, Director, Adolescent Services, JRI Health, Boston, "The lost boys," Sarah McNaught, The Boston Phoenix, 23-30 October 1997)
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:21 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bill, Bush doesn't have an altruistic bone in his body. If you think that greedy piece of garbage has any concern for the children of the world, think again.

It's all about the money, baby. All about the money.

What POSSIBLE 'money' could be gained by prosecuting child molesters gust?

If anything, it will cost the taxpayers more money to track down these scumbags and prosecute them (Money well spent I believe)

Just another example of a raging, foaming-at-the-mouth Bush hater that can't see anything clearly through his 'Moveon.org' tinted glasses.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:32 pm
He has to create some kind of image, Fedral. It's important to keep the public clueless.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:55 pm
Gus - I think that is untrue. Bush is a human - I am sure, on a personal level, he feels as much compassion for those within his purview as anyone else. And the law Bill cites is a good one.

Aiustralia has had laws against its nationals abusing people sexually overseas for over a decade, I believe, but I am not sure if we have put the burden of proof on the "purchaser" - or abuser.

More honoured in the breach, though, I fear - since we have recently had an ex-diplomat kill himself in a Bali prison, after receiving a 14 year sentence for abusing boys - this man was a suspect for YEARS - and went about his business in Oz's foreign service for all too long. He was a teacher when finally convicted - but the thing is a national disgrace. If they had put effort into catching him sooner, I am sur ethey would have.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:19 pm
(Oooh, I love it when Gus talks straight...)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:30 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
That death penalty discussion really got your goat, didn't it?

It did.

Then my work is done.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:00 pm
Joe,

Getting someone's goat is an art form that far too many people don't understand. I applaud you sir.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:46 pm
Baaaaaaaa!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:12 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
There ain't enough money in the world to stop people from being brutal to each other. If you believe the best solution is to invade, then how many other countries should be on the invasion list?.

True enough kicky, we can't stop it all. I do believe, however, we can stop the STATE abusers in there tracks. The list of potential candidates would be quite long, but as we start crossing off names "Bad guys" will start scrambling to get their names removed. Think Pakistan. Think Libya… Libya for crying out loud. Everyone knows we have the strength. No one knows if we have the will. If we prove we have the will, they'd have little choice but to pay heed to our strength. Starting with economic pressure, but if that doesn't work in something less than a decade, with a dozens warnings, then yes! We use the military option.

I see what you are saying, and it does sound good if it worked as simply as that, but I just think that you are being overly optimistic. For instance, that "proving we have the will" part. The public will never get behind an idea like this right now, especially if we have to go to war to do it, which I believe we would. Most people don't like war. It makes them kind of jittery.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:20 am
Other than the bush factor mixed in kind of crazily with Iraq, I have to admit that I am with the right when it comes child prostitution and I don't see a difference between a poor person selling their child for food for their family and a man buying the child. I voted with execution.

There is a big difference between starvation and rape. I would rather my ftarve to death and everyone in my family to starve to death as well.

Having said that, I think the issue of the poor the world over should be addressed, there is no reason that with all the wealth in the world people should be starving and going with basic food and shelter and health care.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:24 am
please excuse my typos, having computer difficulties
0 Replies