PC Gaming

Beedlesquoink

Sun 16 Feb, 2003 10:50 pm
Chess Vs. Go--regarding computers
Now what I find interesting is this: recent breakthroughs (over the last ten years) in processing and programming have changed the landscape in regard to computers versus people in the game of chess. The best chess players are being regularly walloped by processors; at the same time, chess players are employing computers as a kind of study crutch. It's causing a lot of controversy in professional chess.

At the same time, the ancient and venerable Sino/Japanese game of go (not to be confused with its poorer sister go-moku) has proven to be as yet too complex for a processor to master. Average go players can beat the fastest and best programmed go computers easily. I'm a third Dan (middle level of mastery) and I recently played the top go program... I found it no challenge to outguess the computer and three times in a row. It's not that I'm good... I've played twelve year old Japanese players who sent me crying for mama. It's just that the game is way too open ended and has far too complex a heuristic tree for any processor to master to date.

I know of three lifelong chess players who have switched to go upon learning about this.

I'm predicting a rather large go revival in the next decade, since it constitutes a real challenge to the gaming mind.

Idea
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 17 Feb, 2003 12:23 am
I haven't seen any programs for a PC that are hard to beat. I used to play chessmaster 7000 and would beat the grand master level at least 25% of the time.

I've never played go. I must give it a try.
0 Replies

quinn1

Tue 18 Feb, 2003 06:42 pm
go sounds interesting, thanks for giving a background.
Ive found the same thing, easy, quickly bored, not challenging. Fun for a while, then the funs over, really. Well, until you want to take the whole thing apart and see what you can do, after that though, yeah, onto something else.
0 Replies

Sugar

Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:53 am
Has anyone played any of the Elder Scrolls games? I do stink at any 'killing' games, but it looks too good to pass up.
0 Replies

CountZero

Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:42 am
Never played any of the Elder Scroll games - can recommend some other good RPGs though.
0 Replies

quinn1

Wed 19 Feb, 2003 11:54 am
Never played them, thanks for the link though..look interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 23 Feb, 2003 05:45 pm
Oh dear. My brother gave me Morrowind III last week and I've spend alooooooot of hours this weekend enrapt. Anyone know this game?
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:15 pm
I think I saw it but, dont know it first hand there k...
is that where you've been?
Wink
Hope its a great deal of fun!
0 Replies

Sugar

Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:56 pm
littlek - that's part of the Elder Scrolls I asked about. How is it? A lot of killing or....?
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 23 Feb, 2003 08:54 pm
Thats where I saw it!
doh!
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:50 pm
Iplayed that damn game for like 15 hours sunday - blows my mind.

Sug, it's awsome (obviously). You can design your character, some are better at killing, some are better at persuading, some are better at stealing..... Me, I do a lot of killing, but I try out other means first most of the time. I'm only on the thrid level. I could go on and on..... And will if you want to know more. What are the other Elder Scrolls games called?
0 Replies

quinn1

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:37 am
http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php

link previously provided by Sugar
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
I've been totally addicted to "Age of Empires II," the "Conquerors" expansion lately. Haven't been playing my RPG's. Fortunately, the girls will stand around Amn with their weapons at the ready for eternity, if necessary, until i return to direct them at the destruction of some form of evil.
0 Replies

quinn1

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:07 pm
How do you like the Conquerors expansion?
After the AOE #1, I had enough...might be interested if there was more to offer
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:23 pm
Well, fer one thing, they got wimmins (when you click on for a peasant at the town center, it randomly gives you a male or a female, which means that you will get a different image, and a different voice response when you click on). They have introduced a host of different "civilizations," Huns, Goths, Franks, Vikings, Mayans, Aztecs, Byzantines -- and when you click on a villager or a soldier, they respond in an appropriate language. There are new technologies and new military unit types. Each civilization has a unique type of fighter which is produced in the castle, such as samurai for the Japanese, or Jaguar warrior for the Mayans. The maps are great, though. There are random map types, such as "Black Forest," "Baltic," and there are "real world" maps, such as Sea of Japan, Scandanavia, Britain, Central America, Texas (yes, that's right, Texas). On the real world map, your people are not to scale, of course, but when you've explored the map, you see a faithful outline of the area in question. For example, when i "did" Britain, i was randomly assigned Ireland as a starting point--but the entire island just managed to hold my town when it was built up to max. I love it. I'm hooked . . . listen, i gotta run, i'm trying to survive level three in the Black Forest . . .

This is way better than AOE I.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:25 pm
Oh, an' i fergot . . . you gotta have AOE II installed before you can use the expansion. But i bought both AOE II and the expansion in a single package--cost me $30.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:25 pm
Oh, Oh . . . an' they got "historical" campaigns and scenarios, too . . . You can do Joan of Arc, Attila the Hun . . . last night, i did El Cid . . . i really gotta run . . .
0 Replies

quinn1

Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:08 pm
Laughing
wimmins??!! E X C E L L E N T

sounds great!!!
0 Replies

Sugar

Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:34 pm
So I'm a little slow on the uptake....found another game that looks a bit like ELder Scolls Morrowind, here's a review of NeverWinter Nights. Guess it's been around since mid-2002.
0 Replies

quinn1

Thu 27 Feb, 2003 04:30 pm
If you want to look at games, feedback, possible demos a good place is
www.happypuppy.com
Ive been going there for years, and although I find it not as interesting as previously, new games get losts of feedback, info, etc

More games

Love games! Smile
0 Replies