When is a jack-knife a weapon?

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 02:55 pm
Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A son of rancher Cliven Bundy has withdrawn his children from Clark County schools after his daughter was barred from carrying a pocket knife on school grounds.

Ryan Bundy says that’s a violation of his children’s rights, and evidence of county school administrators’ ‘‘communistic mentality.’’

He told the Las Vegas Sun that he has decided to pursue education for his children elsewhere.

Virgin Valley High School Principal Cliff Hughes defended his decision to prohibit Bundy’s daughter from carrying a pocket knife, citing safety concerns.

He says that if the Mesquite school allowed one student to carry a knife, it would have to allow others to do so.

Cliven Bundy and his armed states’ rights supporters thwarted a roundup by the federal government of his cattle in southern Nevada in April.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/2014/08/31/bundy-son-pulls-kids-from-schools-over-knife/FiuNDEkHRInXq6l5r5XvCN/story.html

Now, I have absolutely no sympathy or even use for the Bundy bunch and their twisted wing-nut philosophy. But I see the man's point here, When we were kids, nearly all boys (and a number of girls) carried pocket knives as standard equipment, pretty much the same way that mobile phones and texting devices are toted today. They were used to cut apples in half for sharing with a friend, for sharpening pencils when not near a classroom pencil sharpener, for cleaning one's fingernails or for a dozen other mundane uses. It was extremely rare that anyone would think of using such a prosaic everyday tool as a weapon.

That's all changed in recent years. I remember that it's not so very long ago that I was able to board a commercial flight, carrying a Swiss Army knife in my jacket pocket. No one raised an eyebrow. Just a couple of months ago I checked into a hospital. I had a pocket-knife in my possession; it's something I customarily and habitually carry. The nurses got all upset and insisted that I surrender this extremely dangerous artefact to my wife to take away. They didn't want that kind of blade on hospital premises. (Wonder how they feel about all the scalpels in the ORs?)

What's going on here? And what do you think of this super-safety trend?

N
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,459 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 03:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
What's going on here? And what do you think of this super-safety trend?

The elite control state is exactly right that we can not be trusted with potentially dangerous things, including and especially a free mind. Drunk
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 03:34 pm
Quote:
Just a couple of months ago I checked into a hospital. I had a pocket-knife in my possession; it's something I customarily and habitually carry. The nurses got all upset and insisted that I surrender this extremely dangerous artefact to my wife to take away. They didn't want that kind of blade on hospital premises.

the medical profession minders get a special " **** you" from me....Madigan Hospital for instance forbids smoking anywhere ON CAMPUS and every time I go see a doc I get asked if I am being abused at home as if it is any of their business and as if I would be stupid enough to be honest with them if I was.

These guys should stick to their day jobs, and leave the rest of my life to me.

Just as one example of the day job not being done well: they put be on a drug three years ago that is well known to lower B12 levels in the body, but no one ever told me and even though I get labs done every 6 months no one ever tested my B12 levels. Then I start having problems, talk to a doc, he says " that sounds like B12 deficiency, when was the last time your levels were checked?" The computer has the answer...never.
0 Replies