Promise ring

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:29 pm
Do guys wear promise rings? I wanna get my man one, but wanna see how common it actually is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,474 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jacquie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:33 pm
Does your guy like to wear rings? (I have a point I promise.) :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Hmm....never experienced that myself, but popped up some cash for the engagement ring (custom-made to my specs, I might add) and the matching wedding rings.
0 Replies

Sofia

Do you have to get a 'promise' first?
What promise are you signifying?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:36 pm
jacquie wrote:
Does your guy like to wear rings? (I have a point I promise.) :wink:

Not as of yet, but he said he has no problem with wearing rings.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:36 pm
Sofia wrote:
Do you have to get a 'promise' first?
What promise are you signifying?

It's a commitment promise.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:37 pm
What if it were a promise ring that was, umm, 'hidden' somewhere....
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:37 pm
LOL...I doubt it.
0 Replies

jacquie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:02 pm
Good. Yes, absolutely men wear rings that signify a sentiment or "promise". My guy does not like to wear jewelry, so upon our marriage, I did some shopping ahead and choose a few different pieces that were simple and represented what I thought he might like. I made my jeweler fully aware that he was NOT a jewelry person and not to pressure him in any way the day I scheduled the appointment for "both" of us to come in and "look".
My jeweler was so good about the experience (he had chocolate and champagne waiting for us.) I made that day as fun as possible, I booked a romantic room at a seaside resort, we had breakfast, we walked along a beach side boardwalk and we eventually made our way to the jewelry shop. Interestingly enough, he picked a piece that I had not considered (this is key). I thought it added to our "history" together. The only thing I did, was made a tiny inscription inside the band (he was unaware of this) "With this ring, I thee wed. Love, Jacquie" (I think thats why he wears it always) :wink:
Go for it and Best of Luck. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:22 pm
I gave my hubby-to-be (but at the time just boyfriend of several months) a silver claddawhatever (you know, the hands and the heart) ring for Valentine's Day when we were separated by an ocean. He liked it. :-D
0 Replies

tigerprincess81

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:22 pm
I know you can get Irish commitment bands... I had a friend that proposed to her man because he was afraid of proposing to her while he was still at college. So she bit the bullet and did it herself.

He absoloutely loved it.

But are you thinking of actually proposing or just wanting to give a ring as a present...? cos i dont mean to be stereotypical but you could hurt a man's pride if you propose first...

But if you know him well enough then go for it.

I bought my man just a plain gold dress ring with three small diamonds in it that he wears on his forefinger as an anniversary present. we had been together for twelve months... and he has never taken it off since!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 10:41 pm
At the risk of appearing totally ignorant...whats a promise ring?
0 Replies

jacquie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:39 pm
mysteryman wrote:
At the risk of appearing totally ignorant...whats a promise ring?

In my day, it was a prelude to an engagement of marriage.
"A declaration of your intent" in a way. It means a special union/commitment between two people in love that does not have the contractual intent that an engagement ring has. It does often carry the emotional intent though.

Nowdays the "sentiment" between two people can vary, a father to a daughter, with the "promise" to be the man in her life until she marries etc.

Personally I think it's a highly romantic gesture and encourage those who want to give one, to do so - man or woman. Hope that clears it up for you. Smile
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:09 pm
tigerprincess81 wrote:

But are you thinking of actually proposing or just wanting to give a ring as a present...? cos i dont mean to be stereotypical but you could hurt a man's pride if you propose first...

Nope, not proposing, i'm leaving that up to him some day. I just want to give him a ring, was thinking about a white gold band or something to show him how much I love him.
0 Replies

tigerprincess81

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:08 pm
Oh thats easy then. There are so many guy rings out there... I think go have a look around, there are so many different ones. Talk to a Jeweller.

If you're thinking of a white gold band, i had a male friend that bought himself a really wide band. They look great, something that looks more masculine...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:46 pm
Great!! Thanks all!!!
0 Replies