Regarding "Shell"

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:04 pm
What is your first reaction to the word as you eyes touch the headline below?

U.S. shells insurgency stronghold

(1)Shell = To defeat decisively.
(2) Shell = To fire shells at; bombard.

http://www.cnn.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 595 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:06 pm
Number 2

(Because it is the only possible one)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:11 pm
Number 2 also.

Very interesting and worthwhile info about the supposed "wedding massacre" too.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:03 am
I don't think #1 is an option.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:34 am
Sofia wrote:
I don't think #1 is an option.

I'd like to know the why. Very Happy
How could you know al Sadr has not been defeated decisively?

Thank you all.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:45 am
I can't think of any context where the verb shell implies defeating decisively. It certainly means to bombard in this context. It doesn't say anyting about the success of the bombardment.

The word "Shelled" can be used informally in baseball to refer to a pitcher who isn't doing very well. But this is a very specific idiom and doesn't apply here.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:37 pm
Thanks Ebrown_P, but my question was that without context what was your first reaction to the headline if your eyes touched it.
Yes, I wondered why could you figure out the word shell in "U.S. shells insurgency stronghold" just meant "to bombard", because we all know the US military forces are way stronger and modernized than the cleric militia. So in my view, I thought it was possible that the US troops has decisively defeated the cleric militia.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:43 pm
All its says, based on the words used is The US drops bombs on an pretty well-held fortification of people fighting the local power.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 09:32 pm
Sofia and the other respondents are right. 'Shell' never means to defeat decisively. Every native English speaker read that headline and understood immediately that it meant that US forces had used shells (artillery projectiles containing explosive charges) against a fortified position held by members of an insurgency.
It is possible that shelling can mean a decisive defeat - but you cannot assume that from this headline. If, for instance, the headline had read "US Shells Lemonade Stand", you could reasonably assume that the lemonade stand and any participants in the running of that stand were likely blown to smithereens. But what if this insurgency has many strongholds? And what if this particular stronghold is so strongly fortified that shelling would not destroy it?
So believe us when we say, 2.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:07 am
Yes Eos. The most important thing is that I should know what is you native English speakers' first reaction to the word "shell".
Thanks.
0 Replies