Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:22 pm

... were both readily available when i was growing up.

however these childhood favorites no longer make their way into my shopping cart... at some point i outgrew them, found something better, or realized they weren't very good for me.

what foods and/or beverages were you partial to as a youngster, but no longer enjoy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,124 • Replies: 28
No top replies

doglover

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:06 pm
This is such a neat topic RP!

When I was a kid, I used to love catsup on my hot dog, as an adult I only like mustard and onions. As a kid I loved macaroni and cheese, as an adult it isn't as tasty as it was when I was a kid, so I rarely if ever eat it anymore. As I kid I used to love those little dot candies on strips of paper, licorace, gummy bears, marshmallow peeps at Easter, Mallow cups and Sugar Daddies. As an adult, I love (but rarely eat) pecan logs, turtles and cadburry chocolate and caramel.

As a kid balogna and mayo was my favorite sandwich. Today, it's balogna and mustard.

As a kid my favorite snack combo was BBQ chips and cherry soda. As an adult that combo seems so terrible. LOL

My ice cream tastes have changed too. When I was a kid strawberry was my favorite. As an adult my favorite flavor is butter pecan.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:20 pm

let's see...
baloney & mayo on wonder bread
spaghettio's
hawaiian punch (the red stuff was awesome!)
yodels
frankenberry -- if they still sold it, i'd buy it Very Happy Embarrassed
hamburger

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:21 pm
growing up in germany there was a favourite for kids (both rich and poor). these were the sidepieces that the bakers would cut off the fancy cakes . we would stop at a fancy bakery after school and pick up a bag for the equivalent of a quarter and would get enough cake to feed four to five friends (in german we would ask for "kuchen abschnitt" - literally "cake cutoffs" - you could always be sure that they were really fresh). the problem would be that we would come home and say that we were not hungry, and wanted to to pass up supper. mothers of course were suspicious and usually wanted to know if their offspring had indulged in "kuchen abschnitt". the answer was always the same: "just not hungry right now !. i'm sure "kuchen abschnitt" has probably been outlawed by the european union's "kuchen polizei" - probably not an approved food anymore. hbg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:46 pm
as a kid,I was addicted to jelly beans,and those "pixie sticks" The candy filled straw things.
I am still addicted to jelly beans,but now I eat the "jelly belly" kind.
I also was hooked on a sandwich my grandfather turned me on to...peanut butter,pickles,and mayonaisse on black bread.
Now that I'm 42,those sandwiches just dont sound as good to me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:50 pm
Reagion, your very title made me feel. Good lord, there was even a backpacking a dozen years or so ago. Tang and vodka!?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:50 am
Lessee...

Campbells Scotch Broth soup. Cold, straight from the can.

Frozen Pizza

Stouffer's frozen Lasagna

Too much candy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:00 am
Fluffernutters

Jujubes

Jugyfruits

Spaghetti-Os -cold- right out of the can.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:27 am
I never had favorites like that. Besides, I saved all my money to buy comic books.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:32 am
Chef Boy R D ravioli and...anybody remember Fizzies?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:58 am
Cheese-Whiz and tomato sandwiches.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:08 pm
Popsicles - cherry and Grapette soda.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:18 pm
hamburger wrote:
i'm sure "kuchen abschnitt" has probably been outlawed by the european union's "kuchen polizei" - probably not an approved food anymore. hbg

Hm, I never heard about that, Hamburger. Kuchenabschnitt - sounds good! So maybe it is outlawed - or they didn't cut anything off the cakes in Swabia!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:33 pm
No longer on my favorites list -

Dennison's canned tamales
Hormel Vienna sausages
Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup or Chicken Noodle soup
Strawberry KoolAid with Baloney(sic) slice w/mayo on aerated white bread
Coca Cola in small green bottles
Wheat Thins

still on list but not succumbed to often -

thin salty greasy potato chips
buttered popcorn at the movies
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:37 pm
Great list...and I might add: ossobucco is off my list...lol
Used to love that dish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:43 pm
Ossobuco is off because you are a vegetarian, or don't eat veal, or what? I make it with beef, I say blithely, having done it two times now. (I picked the name for the sound of it, not the exact food.) A friend made some with lamb shanks, also very good. I approach being vegetarian, but still eat/cook meat once in a while.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:03 pm
As an adult my favorite is red licorice and popcorn for dinner or a pint of Jamoca Almond Fudge.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:11 pm
Panzade- I loved fizzies. A Catholic friend of mine got in trouble as a kid by slipping fizzies into the holy water in the font at church. Hey, Jesus turned water into wine, why not cherry drink? What's the big deal.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:14 pm
Ossbuco is off 'cause last two times I ordered it it reminded me of roadkill..Gotta stop eating at greasy spoons...lol.I don't relate you or your name to the food. I prefer veal a la frances
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:19 pm
LOL Equus!
0 Replies