ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:20 pm
Well, this brings up hot dogs. Connoisseurdom has struck again and I can't just buy a pack of hot dogs at the grocery store. I admit to ordering an offacart Vienna Dog just outside Home Depot in LA, back when they had carts in front of the store about a decade ago. One needed something to face that place on a Saturday..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:34 pm
Ahhh...hot dogs. I grew up on salchichas , blood sausage and chorizo. When I came to the states I didn't like hot dogs. Now I love 'em. Nathans and Heb Nat. ...yum
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:37 pm
Ok, ok, if I'm going to get a hot dog, Hebrew National it is. But then I would need potato chips too. And probably a coca cola to facilitate the transfer..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 02:21 pm
urs : re. kuchenabschnitt. i don't know if the sides are still trimmed off the "plattenkuchen" in germany. when we visit we can now afford to buy a nice piece of cake. the trimming of the sides reminds me of how the british army bakers/cooks trimmed the sides of the bread after the war. i got to know a cook from one of the british fire-fighter units stationed in hamburg after the war - i was 16 at the time and he might have been 18. he "fraternized" against army regulations and brought baskets of the bread trimmings for our rabbits. you want to guess who the rabbits were ? the fellow got quite upset when he found out that we were eating the crusts(really very good and fresh) . anyway, from thereon he made you sure we always had a good supply of fresh british army "white-bread"(and the rabbits did get the crusts thereafter). hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 02:58 pm
Cotton candy--and all the other fairground food.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:20 pm
Oy, used to eat lamb chops when I was a kid, but I haven't eaten lamb or beef since I was 13 and I don't intend to start up again.

But as for really junky food - we had Tang for a while and there was also grape Tang which was even more artificial-tasting. I also recall Hostess Snow balls, they were usually pink (although sometimes green)-colored (artifically), coconut covered cakes with some sort of dubious cream filling much like in a twinkie. When I was in elementary school, Mom would set out Snow balls and milk for me, and ask me how my day was, until she started working. My brother used to get Yodels and milk. After Mom started working, there was less junk around but it wasn't completely gone.

There was also Cap'n Crunch, with or without crunchberries, and occasionally Count Chocula. I know we had Frankenberry and Boo Berry at times.

My grandmother would give us Yankee Doodles, which always sounded interesting, pronounced with her heavy Austrian accent (yenkeh duddles).
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:37 am
Triscuits and Cheese Whiz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:25 am
Hmm....I had lamb chops last night jespah. Ever since Shari Lewis died, that puppet has been depressed and near-suicidal. I thought I'd put it out of it's misery. It was delicious grilled in a minted honey-balsamic marinade.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:15 am
@Region Philbis,
way back when, I wrote:
frankenberry -- if they still sold it, i'd buy it Very Happy Embarrassed

woo hoo!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/df/Frankenberrycereal.jpg/128px-Frankenberrycereal.jpg

frankenberry will be available this halloween ... Mr. Green
0 Replies