Sleep apnea

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:09 am
Has anyone had experience with surgery to reduce the size of the soft palate, as a cure for sleep apnea?

I'd like to hear both sides - positive and negative.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,200 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:41 am
Has the doctor checked your nose for a deviated septum?

Mr. Noddy has sleep apnea but because of other health problems is not a candidate for surgery. If you have a Significiant Other, I'd rank her vote high.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:10 pm
I use a C Pap machine for sleep apnea. When I was first diagnosed the doctor discouraged surgery, as he said that it doesn't always work.

I am a big believer in attempting conservative medical interventions, before contemplating surgery.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:13 pm
Sleep apnea
I don't disturb my Significant Other. I only disturb me, in that I can't fall asleep on my back (and sometimes my side) - as soon as I relax enough to fall asleep I don't seem to breathe. As for the deviated septum, that's not a factor.

I really don't like the idea of a mask for sleeping, with its little motor going all the time to pump the oxygen in forcefully enough to correct the problem.

Surgery isn't fun, but if it really worked . . .

My doctor says it's only a way for surgeons to line their pockets, but I have read and heard everything else, from it's a good option to it's 50-50.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:15 pm
Quote:
I really don't like the idea of a mask for sleeping, with its little motor going all the time to pump the oxygen in forcefully enough to correct the problem.

I have gotten used to the mask and the machine. The noise is not significant, as it is a white noise, and kind of soothing.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:21 pm
Sleep apnea
Phoenix - I don't always consider surgery the last resort. Sometimes the more conservative approaches are more of a nuisance - side effects, discomfort of various sorts - than the do-it-and-get-it-over-with spproach of surgery.

I don't like the idea of the mask at all. It sounds most hot and very uncomfortable. I've had quite enough of being tethered to tubes and such in recent years.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:25 pm
Tomkitten- If you are hell bent on surgery, I would suggest that you pick your surgeon very carefully. If I were you I would find someone who specializes in that kind of operation.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.medical-malpractice-lawyers-attorneys.com/investigate_doctor.html

Aha! You are in luck. I see that you are from Boston:

http://www.massmedboard.org/
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:40 pm
tomkitten--

Is your weight in the "normal" range? I'm sure you know that extra pounds can contribute to sleep apnea.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:42 pm
Sleep apnea
Subnormal, if anything.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 02:18 pm
We went to dinner with two other couples... realised that none of the men present had uvulas...

Yeah. I had the surgery. It helps some, but not enough. Hurt like hell for a few weeks. Had to learn to eat and drink all over again. My singing voice isn't what it was. And I still wake up in the middle of the night.

I think part of my problem is allergies. Tom, do you have more trouble sleeping at certain times of the year? Like, right now, when the trees are having sex? Could contribute.

Noddy's question is mine as well... I'm a bit over where I'd like to be, and as I lose weight, I do sleep a little better. I'll let you know when I'm at the weight I should be... (yeah... as if...)

Did the C-Pap machine as Phoenix has heard. Worked just fine for the first month or two... but then I started waking up with a stomach full of air. Never could put the mask on after a few nights like that.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:35 pm
Sleep apnea
Oh-oh, SealPoet - You sound like someone who's had a bad experience. I know I said I wanted to hear the good and the bad, but, natch, I was hoping for all good. Well, I did ask for opinions both ways . . .

What do you do now, with the surgery not being all that successful, and the C-Pap machine being out of the picture? How do you manage? (If I'm not being too personal.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:22 pm
bm
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:52 am
I went to see an alergist. I take a generic Claritin, and an inhaled something-or-other called Astlin. They help some.

Otherwise, I try to get back to sleep.

On the plus side, apnea usually happens during REM sleep, so you get to remember some really great dreams!
0 Replies