I have some questions to bother you here yet again, please help check.

imsak

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 08:29 am
1. She was surprised when she found something in her bag. It is nothing but a small doll I planted on her in the bag a day before as a gift to surprised her.

2. If some small errors was nitpicked aside, would this writing be considered acceptable on the whole?

3. Has being a movie star been appealed to you?

Are these sentences ok and understandable to you?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 834 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:42 am
@imsak,
1. She was baffled when she found it in her bag, a small (petite, bantam, runty, etc) doll I had planted the day before as a surprise gift

Two surprises are too many while "small doll" is alliterative

You can delete the "it" which however would also require omitting the comma

Hope haven't overdone this. The potential grammarian is never quite sure what extent the poster expects, while thorough analysis is tedious. In the next two I merely correct grammar

2. ….errors were nitpicked…….

3. …. been of appeal…… or just
…..star appealed….
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:33 pm
@imsak,
The first sentence mixes up present and past tense. Stick to one. It's usually customary to write in past tense.

She was surprised when she found something in her bag. It was nothing but a small doll I planted in her bag the day before as a gift to surprise her.

I'm not too sure what you mean by the second sentence, and would say as a whole not on the whole, but that might be acceptable for American English.

Nitpicking aside, would this writing be considered acceptable as a whole?

The third sentence could be a question directed at someone who is already a movie star. I don't think that's what you intended so I've rewritten it for a more general audience.

Has the thought of being a movie star ever appealed to you?

Hope that's of help.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
a small doll I planted in her bag
Izzy you do good work. However fussbudget that I am, somehow I felt it should be "…had planted…."
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 03:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Yeah, agreed, reluctantly, very reluctantly.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 03:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Yeah, agreed, reluctantly, very reluctantly.
I understand. Mostly we'd advise the esl to curtail so an addition sometimes uncomfortable
0 Replies

imsak

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 06:41 pm
Thank you both very much.

Izzy, what you have guessed is really what I mean to express.

For #2, I wonder if 'nitpicking aside' is equivalent to 'leaving aside' and 'putting aside'?

Can I change the sentence to read:

- If some small errors was left/put aside, would this writing be considered acceptable as a whole?
- Leaving/Putting aside some trivial errors, would this writing be considered acceptable as a whole?

such that it gives the same meaning?

And can I use 'nitpicks aside' to supplant 'nitpicking aside', can they be used interchangeable?

As for #3, would it be ok if I change it a little, in form and meaning, to read:

- Has being a teacher been cool to you? (you are now a teacher, you have been being a teacher for years)

What I mean to ask is like, 'do you still feel good as (being) a teacher'. (not sure if 'being' is needed in this sentence)

izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:44 am
@imsak,
I would say minor errors, and change was to were. Small is acceptable, but I prefer minor.

If some small errors were left/put aside, would this writing be considered acceptable as a whole?
- Leaving/Putting aside some minor errors, would this writing be considered acceptable as a whole?

Cool is a rather strange word to describe teaching, sometimes cool can have negative connotations, being shallow, lazy, concerned with appearance/presentation. I would say,

Have you enjoyed being a teacher?

Do you still like teaching?
0 Replies