What everyday problems do you have that could be solved by a new product?

Samu93

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 07:05 am
I am a Product design student that needs to create a new product for a dissertation project. Any problems how big or small will help massively to generate new ideas.

Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,980 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 10:03 am
@Samu93,
Making possible the control of two or more different appliances from a single wall switch. In its simplest form it's an electronic toggle switch within a disk that's placed for instance at the bottom of a light socket, alternately on and off with application of power. It might be used typically with lights in two different rooms on the same circuit but that you don't want on at the same time

Another version might have 3 or even more states to accommodate a more complex requirement
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 08:39 pm
@dalehileman,
Saran rap that doesn't bunch up and stick into a big lump as soon as you get it off the roll. Other than that, verythings cool.

OH WAIT, a deep sea reel on a rod that has a sensor -based self adjusting drag that you don't need to keep resetting with a big fish on
the line. Work on that and forget about the Saran rap
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 08:46 pm
@Samu93,
I want a wall paint, fabric and floor/carpet that has an insect repellent built in,
one that never fades out.

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 09:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
and totally safe for children and pets.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 09:28 pm
Just invent a puncture-proof tyre for cyclists and you'll become a millionnaire in 5 minutes..Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 09:36 pm
@roger,
That goes without saying, roger!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:03 am
@Samu93,
Doobly with beeper for your Average Clod (me) constantly misplacing his tv controller. It might come with a separate clicker though you might suggest an old, helpless clown (me) might lose that too. Thus a more sophisticated podger might respond to handclap or even voice command

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/jun/17/britishidentity
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:24 am
I'd want some sort of automatic transporter that doesn't require a parent to drive their child around. Either a car that drives by itself that you can simply type in the address or something like on star trek where you step into a booth or area and viola the child is at where its need to be.

Tried and very difficult being a taxi for the kids events and any afterschool things.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 01:01 pm
@Samu93,
Sam: Has anyone yet suggested anything you can use
Samu93

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
@dalehileman,
A few of the ideas have scope, its just trying to find one large enough for me to spend a year working on for my dissertation. They are all very useful as they help me to find a starting point to research into in subjects I had not yet considered.

Heres an example of smaller projects I have previously under taken for an example of my work : http://goldingdesigns.weebly.com/automated-pill-dispenser.html
dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 01:45 pm
@Samu93,
Sam thank you for that example. I'd send snapshots of my own suggestions but they don't yet exist
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 07:55 pm
@Samu93,
wow, you constructed that? I am utterly impressed! Great concept!! Smile

The design alone is outstanding, never mind the great idea behind it.
You are good!! I think we'll hear about you in many years to come.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 08:10 pm
@Samu93,
I have another idea - since we are in a severe drought here in southern California and people still water golf courses and what not like crazy, how about a sensor device that you can plug into the ground that tells you a) the moisture content and b) when the next watering should take place.

Then again, maybe there is something like this already out there and I just
don't know it.

Or some freeze dried compound that can be put around trees, shrubs and into the grass that converts into liquid and waters on a time release basis as needed. I guess that would be more a project for a chemist.
Samu93

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 06:19 am
@CalamityJane,
Many thanks for the previous comment! This sounds like a very good idea, as it would be a major problem within the next few years as there is a lack of fresh water left on the planet, and with a growing population water wastage is an area that needs to be tackled sooner than later.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 11:08 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Then again, maybe there is something like this already out there and I just don't know it.
Yea Jane indeed there is, and I have one. I get puzzling results however, haven't yet found a practical use for it
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:00 pm
@Samu93,
Look what these guys came up with - I think that's brilliant!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/these-college-students-are-making-a-nail-polish-that-changes
Samu93

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 08:28 am
@CalamityJane,
Yeah that sounds amazing, simple ideas like that are the best. Wish I had beat them to it haha
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:47 am
@Samu93,
Just thought of one that could have helped me a few weeks ago.

The airline seat defender. There is currently a knee defender available whereas when you fly you place the product onto the seat in front of you preventing this seat from reclining thus saving your knees.

Recently on a flight, I was the lucky receipant of having an oversized passenger next to me. He was so large that he was unable to lower the armrest and therefore his body was spilling into my seat. Perhaps you could invent something that would prevent or force the person's body to remain within the confines of their own seat area. Since the airlines will not do anything about this, passenagers now have to find ways to protect the small area they have paid for their own personal space.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:00 pm
@Linkat,
Why didn't you put the armrest down, Linkat?
I always do, no matter what and if the guy - and they're mostly guys - pushes it up, I'll pull it down again and tell him that I want it down. It's a power play really, don't give into it, hold your ground. On second thought, I think you need a body guard Wink