A Fish Stinks from the Head First

Fedral

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:36 am
Another article from Col. Hackworth's site. An important read, I think ...

A Fish Stinks from the Head First
By David H. Hackworth

When I was a buck private in Italy, five-star Gen. Dwight David Eisenhower visited my outfit. Of course, there was no television in those days, so there was no globally televised Bob Hope-type spectacle like last week's Rumsfeld-Myers show-of-all-vaudeville-shows at Abu Ghraib prison. Instead, Ike walked through the ranks and talked to every soldier in my reconnaissance company.

He stopped in front of me - 15 years old and quaking - and asked: "How do you like the chow?"

"It stinks, Sir."

"Why?" he asked.

"All we get is Spam."

"Spam? Why?" he roared to his entourage.

A shaky voice replied that the depots were filled with Spam from World War II, and the supply people were getting rid of it.

"Stop it," he snapped. "Feed these soldiers proper rations."

"That take care of it, son?" he asked me

"Yes sir," I gulped.

I still remember the concern in his voice. And I learned then that if a soldier got to the boss and bitched, the odds were the boss would fix it. I also learned a valuable leadership lesson: A commander must get down on the ground with his troops in order to find out what's really going on.

Had Army leadership been following Ike's example, our nation would not be shamed, and our critical military mission in Iraq wouldn't be jeopardized.

Instead, the chain of command was egregiously AWOL. Army sergeants, lieutenants, captains, majors, lieutenant colonels, colonels and at least one brigadier general, one major general and one lieutenant general shrugged off their duty. And the buck stops far higher.

Even members of the United States Congress - from Hillary Clinton to Roscoe Bartlett - neglected their sworn duty. Their congressional offices received written pleas from concerned soldiers or their families almost from the first atrocity through this past March, when retired Master Sgt. William Lawson blasted off 20 letters to a governor, senators and representatives (see sftt.org for the complete list). But these urgent pleas for help must have received either the routine rubber-stamp Beltway shuffle or were relegated into the old circular filing basket, because not one official took appropriate action. To a one, our elected leaders seem to have forgotten that their primary mission is to represent the American people, not to make the sound-bite circuit or to hustle money for the next election.

Had proper leadership been applied, Gen. Myers wouldn't have had to duck and weave when he appeared before Congress with the limp excuse that the investigation report was "working its way" to him. Myers is, of course, the same swift four-star who commented after his visit to Iraq last year that maybe the brass had prevented him from talking to any soldiers with serious complaints.

For sure this toady is no Eisenhower.

Ike and the majority of the World War II generals knew what was going on because they knew the truth was with their soldiers. As did Army commander Gen. Matthew Ridgway, whom I saw during the Korean War walking the front line to talk to his Wolfhound troopers. "Got enough gear and ammo, soldier?" he'd ask. "What's the situation here?" And in Vietnam, Gen. Willard Pearson, my brigade commander, actually shared a foxhole with me during the battle of Dak To.

These astute leaders followed the Principles of Leadership, which I'm repeatedly told are no longer in vogue in today's MBA-managed Army. Principles that underscore doing the hard right over the easy wrong.

After cutting their training teeth on these precepts, small-unit leaders of yore would have demanded that any atrocities come to a screeching halt. And if their leaders failed to correct the abuses, they'd have immediately blown the whistle to the inspector general or the judge advocate general.

Today, with these time-tested recourses seemingly MIA, we're left with the brass protesting too much while blaming only the lowest of the low-rankers.

After World War II, the Nazi generals copped a now-infamous plea for their atrocities: "We were just following orders." Today, our senior Army brass are hiding behind the pathetic excuse: "We didn't know what was going on."

Our Army leaders better memorize the 11 Principles, close up their laptops, put away their PowerPoint briefings and employ a little Ike-style shoe leather quick smart.

Eilhys England also contributed to this column.

Col. David H. Hackworth (USA Ret.) is SFTT.org co-founder and Senior Military Columnist for DefenseWatch magazine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:46 am
Hackworth writes some good stuff and like some other military types (i.e. John Kerry, John Glenn, et al) he has become a champion and darling of the left:

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0805-09.htm

I think he should be dealing directly with U.S. command and, with his credentials, could have a very positive effect in getting problems fixed. I can't shake the idea that his writings are geared to subtlely undermine the war effort in Iraq.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:52 am
It seems to be being undermined by realities, with no particular help from darlings of the left.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:57 am
There are huge problems yes. And I see no problem with recognizing them and meeting them head on. I have a huge problem with those who intentionally undermine the effort when we have soldiers on the ground in the line of fire. And I fear that if the American will forces us to cut and run again, we will have handed the future of civilization into the hands of the terrorists.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:00 am
Fox, most people here know that my political beliefs place me somewhere to the Right of Margaret Thatcher, but I don't read into Hack's articles what you seem to.

As to his articles being posted in Commondreams being 'proof' of some sort of collusion with the Left ... I point out that one could say that THIS board is a mouthpiece for the far Right because I occasionally post articles from Townhall.com among others.

The article posted there was reprinted from his website and was not written FOR Commondreams.

As to your belief that his intent is to undermine the troops in any way, I suggest that you read all the articles on his site that you have time to read. You will hopefully come to the same conclusions that I did:

1) His experience is very coloured by his time in Vietnam.

2) He served as both an officer and an enlisted man but he seems to empathize with the common soldier more than the officers.

3) He has ZERO tolerance for stupidity or half measures.

4) The only thing he seems to care about are the men (and women) of the Armed Services and wants the commanders to be worthy of the troops that they command.

5) He has NO tolerance for piss poor officers.

As I said before, I don't always agree with every point in every article of his, but I never doubt his sincerity in caring about the troops.

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:04 am
I agree he cares about the troops Fedral. I think most leftwingers care about the troops as much as rightwingers do.

It is the subtle way in which he seems to undermine the war effort in general that bugs me. And maybe you're right. Maybe I'm reading into it more than what is there. I posted the piece on Commondreams purely as illustration of how the left is using Hackworth as their champion and their 'proof' that we should not be in Iraq at all.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:02 am
The only people anyone should blame for "undermining the war effort" vare the dopes in DC. If you'd had a half decent administration the venture into iraq would have been an internationally approved and supported one. You wouldnt have hos to face so many embarrassments and when there were some some one with real responsibility would have come forth and fixed the problem.
Instead you have the current administration that had a timeline for the war all in place even before 9-11. Tried to do everything by that time line, bullying or bribing its allies into supporting its reckless venture. We were offered a credit package worth about 17 billion in total. Thank god our govt. had the good sense to realize that we ha no where to cut and run to, once the going got tough. The US is what 10.000 miles from iraq? We share a 400 km border.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:26 am
Fedral:

Common Dreams is basically an aggregator of "Alternative" news and commentary.

They, along with BuzzFlash, have decided to try and make themselves into a kind of "un-Drudge".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
It is the subtle way in which he seems to undermine the war effort in general that bugs me. And maybe you're right. Maybe I'm reading into it more than what is there.

He is, and you are.
0 Replies