AP US history essay: 1491 prompt help?

runiix

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 07:21 am
After reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, the essay prompt is: "to what extent were the worldviews of the Spaniards and Native Americans challenged and/or changed by one another?"

I want to see how other people approach this question; the worst thing that could possibly happen is if I wrote my thesis completely wrong...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,104 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 08:17 am
@runiix,
Actually, the worst thing would be if you were found guilty of plagiarism.
runiix

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
@jespah,
I already had a thesis formulated and an essay written... I just wanted to compare -_-
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 05:44 pm
@runiix,
If you include that the natives of the Americas came from Siberia, you'd be on the right tract. Everything else would be 'detail' of characteristics.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 06:18 pm
It's dead simple really-

MAYAN 1- "I'm getting a bad feeling about this!"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ApocalyptoB_zpscaebd28e.jpg~original

CONQUISTADORES- "In the name of their Imperial Highnesses King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, we have come to bust your heathen asses"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/apocalyptoC_zps43cb6034.jpg~original

MAYAN 2- "I think we're up **** creek guys"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/apocalyptoA_zps912d72d1.jpg~original
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:40 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I assume you are referring to Mann's book 1491.
He wrote afolloup called 1493. which expored the good and the bad results of the "Columbian Exchange".
Did you read both?
They are quite good reading although he dwells on the bleedin obvious in several chapters and goes on interminably on few occasions. Other than that theyre pretty good.

It occurs to me that one of the hugest considerations is what happened to the population numbers of Amerind Natives "post 1492" (of course evidence shows that there were many earlier visits by Europeans (and perhaps others)). Still, the large scale social and environmental changes wrought by the European invasion post
Columbus and the effects to World economies need to be explored by scholars as yourself.

I don't think any anthropologists will argue as to how much the Pre -Columbian people groups already living in the Americas had modified theor environments . Climate changes and migration due to population pressures had left excellent evidence of how the Amercas were first settled by several related lines.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:06 am
Quote:
Farmerman said to me: the large scale social and environmental changes wrought by the European invasion post Columbus and the effects to World economies need to be explored by scholars as yourself.

Haha I'm not a scholar mate, just somebody who's read a few books!
It's all pretty much cut and dried anyway, we English took over America and put the heathen injuns in their place, that's why you're now able to farm their land without getting an arrow up your jacksie..Smile
(Meanwhile the Spanish were doing great work in Sth America and Mexico stopping them ripping each others hearts out)..Smile
0 Replies