i have so much questions to ask thank you.

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 02:40 am
i wrote a sentence:
Such kind of graduates know little about things beyond their majors and relatively lack the ability to communicate and cooperate with peoples in other sectors concertedly.
1)" Such kind of graduates know". Should i use knows or know here? i prefer to use know, but the Microsoft Word Check tell me i should use knows.
2) the is the psosition of the adverb "concertedly" correct? if not, where should i put it at?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:00 am
1. The plural is already suggested by 'graduates' so it should be 'know'. e.g. a graduate (singular) knows, and graduates (plural) know. I'm not sure of your use of 'realtively'. 'Generally' might be better, or if you wish to convey that all graduates have these problems, just say 'lack the ability' without any qualifier.

2. 'concertedly' is a bit awkward, just as a word. I might move it to after 'cooperate'. Also, take the 's' off of 'peoples'. 'People' is already plural.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:12 am
neoquixote- I was looking at the title of your thread:

Quote:

i have so much questions to ask thank you.

It should read, "I have so MANY questions to ask."

"Much" means great in quantity or degree. "I poured too much milk in the glass, and it spilled over".

"Many" means "a large, indefinite number. "Joe has many friends."

The "thank you" is unnecessary in this context.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:29 am
The subject of the verb "to know" is "kind" (as in "kind of graduates"). This is singular so you should use "knows".

On a further reading "This kind of graduate" is the best way to word the beginning of the sentence. "Such" seems awkward and graduate is better as a singular since it is modifying "kind".

You should also change the word "peoples" to "people". "People" is the plural of person. "Peoples" is usually used to refer to different races of people.

I believe that technically, it is correct to put the adverb "concertedly" at the end of the sentence. However, I think it is better to put it after the verb it modifies.

I would rewrite the sentence.

This kind of graduate knows little about things beyond their major and relatively lack the ability to communicate and cooperate concertedly with peoples in other sectors.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:23 am
ebrown_p, I agree, the sentence should read "this kind of graduate knows," not "graduates". I also might suggest "this sort of graduate knows."
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:40 am
thank you.
i would say you are all so kind.
1) i am sorry to make this kind of stupid mistake such as" so much questions", "with peoples".
2) This sentence is in a contex of discussing whether students should enroll in courses in a wide range of disciplines or only study those pertaining to the jobs in their chosen fields. In this situation, please give me your advise about if to use " such" and "relatively" is apropriate.
thank you.
3) Anyway, as a single sentence, i really agree that Ebrown_p's expression is good:T
his kind of graduate knows little about things beyond their major and relatively lack the ability to communicate and cooperate concertedly with peoples in other sectors.
4) i can understand that to put "concertecly " after the verb is better.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:46 am
cavfancier wrote:
1. The plural is already suggested by 'graduates' so it should be 'know'. e.g. a graduate (singular) knows, and graduates (plural) know.

i suppose you are also right.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:49 am
As for the context, Neoquixote, I am in favour of students studing a wide variety of subjects. It makes them better thinkers in the job market, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:47 am
cavfancier wrote:
As for the context, Neoquixote, I am in favour of students studing a wide variety of subjects. It makes them better thinkers in the job market, in my opinion.

we share the same point of view. Laughing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:02 pm
I like ebrown's construction:
Quote:
This kind of graduate knows little about things beyond their major and relatively lack the ability to communicate and cooperate concertedly with peoples in other sectors.

I'd change a couple of things. This kind of graduate KNOWS, so you must use LACKS when you come to that verb. I don't like relatively, wherever you put it. I'd say ...and in some ways lacks the ability... -- but that's my own style. And last, I'd drop the s from PEOPLES. People in other sectors are just that, but "peoples" generally refers to tribes or nations -- "All the peoples of the world".

So I'd end up with:
This kind of graduate knows little about things beyond their major and in some ways lacks the ability to communicate and cooperate concertedly with people in other sectors.

And please don't apologize for missing English usage. It's a very strange and often illogical grammar we use!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:49 am
Wy, you are absolutely right about "lacks". I am a bit ashamed of my carelessness Embarrassed

( I think I get a bit distracted in non-political threads Wink )
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:48 am
i have to pick up your brains again on this topic because i found a sentence in a book :
the introduction of bipedalism and the home base, however they arose, would have profoundly effected THE KINKS OF ENVIRONMENTS these early hominids could exploit.
here, in the phrase of the kinks of environments, why the author use plurality-- environments?
thankee.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:58 pm
Are you sure it's not kinDs of environments? Kinks are twists, odd abnormalities... kinds are types. And environments isn't wrong, because of kinds -- the kind of environment, the kinds of environments. One environment would be that around the home base, another would be out on the hunt, etc.

Also, although you didn't ask, it should be Affected, not effected in this sentence. Briefly, affected means "changed" or "altered," effected means "started."
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:19 am
i am sure the sentence i cited here is literally what they print in page 489, EVOLUTION third edition by Monroe W. Strickberger. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, inc.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:21 am
thank you for your help Wy
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 09:27 am
But you could also say "Such graduates know little beyond their own majors, and lack the ability to communicate meaningfully with those in other disciplines."
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 08:43 pm
yea "such graduates", appears more concise, i think it's better, thanks eos.
but i am still puzzled about "kind(s) of A(s )"
0 Replies