Why Hasn't Bush Done Anything to Encourage Gas Conservation?

Harper

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:14 pm
Less demand, prices fall, you would think with gasoline now over $2.00 (where I live) this sorry excuse for a President would do something to encourage conservation! Of course, we all know why Bush doesn't discourage gas consumption!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 34
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:58 pm
Hello Harper, Nice look'n lady. You probably have all the answers why Bush does not encourage conservation. Anywho, Bush is also not a environment president, so what can we expect? At least the higher price of oil will make his friends and Cheney richer.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:36 am
What has the consumer done to conserve gas? There has been no increase in car-pooling, mass transit, or a decrease in SUV sales.

It's not up to the president.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
What has the consumer done to conserve gas? There has been no increase in car-pooling, mass transit, or a decrease in SUV sales.

It's not up to the president.

It's up to the president to set the tone for the country he was elected to represent. He can exert influence over the population.

For instance, I'm sure you'd jump off a bridge if he asked you to. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:50 am
The British government certainly try to discourage car usage by taxing petrol & diesel to the hilt - currently around 75% of the pump price is tax. Cynics argue that it's just an easy way for them to make money, but it works whatever the motive...

So maybe it is the US government's job to address these issues?

As an aside, petrol here is currently around 85p/litre which (please check maths here) equals around $7/gallon...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:41 am
Grand Duke, It translates to about $5.62 per gallon. I just filled up with premium yesterday and paid $2.359 per gallon (or 42 percent).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:47 am
BPB, In the conservatives attempts to support whatever this president does just goes to show how they are brainwashed to think Bush can do no wrong - but blame the citizens for not controlling our consumption. Government can and should control the consumption of fuel by increasing the tax on fuels. When we had a shortage of fuel in the seventies, people stopped buying large gas guzzling vehicles. If our government increases gasoline by 100 percent, more people will consider buying smaller cars or fuel efficent vehicles. That's where the thinking of the conservatives losses their credibility; they have a eskewed idea of what our government can or cannot do to increase fuel efficiency in the US.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:49 am
To be fair, I must also mention the fact that consumers are complaining that the feds can lower the price of gas by using some of its reserves. I think that's a bad idea; keep the price of fuel high or higher to discourage the purchase of gas guzzlers, and even reduce the use of our vehicles and start using public transportation.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:51 am
I wonder what new and oil saving technology the Bush administration squashed in favor of big oil? Eh, never fear. Gas prices will drop before election time. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:12 am
CI - sorry to digress, but I'm confused re conversion:

1 litre = 4.54 gallons
£1.00 = $1.80 (approx)

£0.85 * 4.54 * 1.8 = $6.94 ???
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:18 am
McGentrix wrote:

There has been a huge drop in SUV sales. Ford listed a 35% drop in sales of their Excursion over the last 2 months and others have reported similar drops.

Beyond that, IMO, gas prices going up is a good thing. It's the only real way people are going to wake up and actually start conserving and/or looking for and using alternative fuels. From an environmental point of view, high gas prices are a wonderful thing.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:59 am
I have to commute 40 miles to work and 40 miles from work every day. There is no mass trasit and no carpooling. I am by no means unique in this situation, especially with the jobs situation as it is.

I do not see high gas prices to be a good thing. all it does it decrease the amount of money I have to spend on food, drugs, bills, etc...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:17 am
Is anyone else feeling a little bit safer knowing that McGentrix has cut back on his expenditures for drugs?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:23 am
As others have noted, there has been a decrease in the sale of SUVs, especially Hummers. For which I'm grateful--no, actually, gleeful. I live in an urban area and see those dinosaurs everywhere.

IMHO, high gas prices are the only reason people are starting to pay attention to what they drive. I'm not a libertarian, but maybe this is the way it should be. Jimmy Carter asked Americans to conserve, and he was laughed at. Most Americans care about their wallets, nothing else.

So I say, at the risk of being attacked by all, let the prices rise even more!

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:15 am
I know I have said it before, but who exactly do high gas prices effect? People that can afford those luxury SUV's or the single mom that has to commute to the day care center then to work and back?

Those rich, white, conservative men and women that the left hates so much driving their gas guzzling SUV's, hummers, etc can afford to pay $10-$20 more a week for gas. It will not phaze them one bit.

The delivery companies have to compensate their prices accordingly, as do shippers, grocer's, manufacturers, etc.

So, I ask WHY would you want to see gas prices rise even more? Because it doesn't effact you? Kind of selfish if you ask me.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:27 am
It does affect me, McGentrix--I have a car. And I don't wish higher prices on poor people.

But the solutions that the politicians propose--tapping the strategic oil reserve (Democrats) or drilling in Alaska (Republicans)--are both wrong. Conservation is the best answer, because oil is a finite resource. Yet Americans take to conservation like kids welcome cod liver oil.

Americans conserve when they have to, and these gas prices are forcing it now. Less reliance on oil also makes the U.S. less vulnerable to events in the Arab world.

Good for everyone in the long run.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:34 am
So, which hybrid do you drive? How much? Do you have a solar water heating system? What are you doing to conserve?

Raising gas prices will only hurt the poor in the long run. That's it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:44 am
I have a Prius--thanks for asking! Solar water heating wouldn't work too well in Seattle, as we have cloudy days during too much of the year.

"Raising gas prices will only hurt the poor in the long run. That's it."

That's really it? They have no other consequences? Interesting way of looking at things--just rule out everything that doesn't fit a simple thesis.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:46 am
Alternates such as hybrid vehicles are available for people in McGentrix position.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:51 am
And yet you are an American that is into conservation! Well, mee too! That makes the two of us American's that care about caonservation. Are you sure that you really want to lump Americans into your "Yet Americans take to conservation like kids welcome cod liver oil" idea?

What else will be a direct result of high gas prices? Give me some ideas as to other consequences. Inflation? Hurts poor people. Stiffer emission control? Hurts poor people. Mandatory carpooling? Hurts poor people. etc...
0 Replies