40 Iraqis Killed At Wedding!

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:10 pm
Following an attack by a U.S. helicopter today, more than 40 guests at an Iraqi wedding are reported dead.

This is certainly a guaranteed means of protecting them from both the evils of Saddam and U.S. military torture. But is it likely to succeed in capturing the hearts and minds of the victims' families or is it a guarantee of future hatred and retaliation? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,296 • Replies: 63
No top replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:24 pm
Oh really????? How many GIs have been killed while asleep in their tents or while eating or while standing in line to get a coke-----OR----while trying to keep the stupid bastards from killing themselves????????

Get real BB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:34 pm
An unfortunate accident.
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:43 pm
In war, there are no accidental deaths. Perhaps because of a mistake made or a problem passed there will be unforseen deaths; wars will always cause deaths, unfortunate, but not accidental. To pretend that wars will not cause death, even among the undeserving, is to forget the nature of war and warriors.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:46 pm
perception wrote:
Oh really????? How many GIs have been killed while asleep in their tents or while eating or while standing in line to get a coke-----OR----while trying to keep the stupid bastards from killing themselves????????

Get real BB

the fact that GI's have been killed in a way that's wrong does not make it okay that iraqis were killed in a way that's wrong they're all wrongful deaths....why don't you get real?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:49 pm
You've got the spotlight BPB------care to expound on exactly why the GIs deaths were "wrongful"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:56 pm
every death in this war is wrongful...you can't cherry pick which ones are right and wrong......
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:57 pm
Didn't this happen in Afghanistan too? It seems I recall a wedding there being attacked after the guests fired rifles randomly into the air in celebration WITH MILITARY HELICOPTERS AND JETS FLYING IN THE VICINITY! I suspect this is the same kind of scenario.

I don't understand how this could happen. I mean, here's a wedding guest carrying a Kalashnikov. He sees the armed warplanes flying around and decides to shoot into the air anyway? Or maybe it wasn't totally innocent. I guess we'll find out later.

As for accidental deaths in war, they happen all the time. They are called "friendly fire" or "misidentified target" or whatever.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:05 pm
How does anyone know whether everyone at that wedding party was carrying an Ak-47????? Arabs celebrate everything by firing guns in the air..
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:09 pm
It is a matter of personal ethics whether you believe the deaths in the war are right and wrong. There is no connection between the cause of the war being right and and wrong and individual deaths being right and wrong. Of course, nobody is saying that they have the right to decide if a cause is worthy enough for people to die for.

Once again, it is your personal ethics, not your judgement of the Iraqi war. The United States has been in war before, it cannot pretend that there will not be deaths, foreseen or unforseen.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:12 pm
Solon, what do your personal ethics tell you about this situation?
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:33 pm
I know little of the situation, no source being provided, and nonetheless I feel compassion, as anyone would, for those who have lost. I understand that soon they will become an example of how the coalition is not winning the hearts and minds of Iraq, and also an example of how we are destroying our own hearts and minds, fighting a battle of morals on the fields of war.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:34 pm
So you are saying that morals have no place in war?
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:40 pm
Those who fight cannot stop to consider every enemy they engage with; whether it is morally justified to kill. If a man is ordered by a distant general to kill a man, for a cause he does not understand, and he suceeds, he is a hero. If a man is ordered by his conscious to kill a man because of his compassion and feelings, he is a murderer.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:42 pm
Interesting. I think you might be interested in this.
0 Replies

JimmyK

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:45 pm
One source ~~~>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1220440,00.html
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:50 pm
Politicians find it extremely easy to justify a contradictory view on war. Our moral decisions only decide our futures in relation to the war, not our countries. To change the normal political standpoint of discussing war as an expected, foreseable, and undesirable event, rather than a tragedy to society, we need to elect those who understand what war is, rather than what it causes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:52 pm
Why do arabs all take guns to weddings?

Because it's the only way they can keep the groom from running away.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 02:01 pm
Oh man, this is depressing.

The coldness which which some people here dismiss this terrible incident makes me question the validity of their thought processes.

My heart goes out to those killed, their families, and the soldiers who did this they must have felt horrible upon realizing what they did.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 02:05 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
The coldness which which some people here dismiss this terrible incident makes me question the validity of their thought processes.

How politically correct of you.
0 Replies