Self tooth removal

auroma

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 02:35 am
I have several bad teeth and one has basically come to the point where it needs to come out. It is pretty loose right now and I was wondering if I used some numbing agent and pulled the tooth myself, what would the precautions/side affects be? I don't have the funds to pay 200+ dollars to a dentist who's likely to send me on several trips just to get a tooth removed and my health insurance doesn't have any dental coverage. I have no idea what the tooth is called but it is the second to last one on the bottom row, the big one. So any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:17 am
auroma--

I think you are talking about a tricuspid--possibly a six year molar. The "tri" part of the name means "three". A tricuspid has three roots which are nestled in your jawbone.

If the tooth is giving you pain, infection may be present. Believe it or not, an infected tooth can be as dangerous to your health as an infected appendix--even a bit more so since the tooth is nearer than the appendix to both your ears and the brain.

I strongly advise you to see a dentist. Be up front about your financial situation when you make the appointment and see whether there is any way you can make payments on time.

If not, this is one of the situations in which it is useful to have a credit card.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:34 am
I would imagine that if the tooth is still pretty well attached, then ripping it out (without 4-5 years of dental surgeon training) could lead to all sorts of problems - excessive bleeding, permanent nerve damage and infection being just a few I can think of.

You really don't want to end up with half your face paralysed and a massive abcess!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:42 am
El Santo will pull that tooth for you.

http://www.highspots.com/arena/media/santojr89.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:46 am
Stop posting pictures of my uncle before he sues you gus. He is not only a Luchador, but a lawyer as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:31 am
There is not only pain or possibility of abscess. If you do it yourself, the tooth is liable to break off when you are extracting it, leaving you a much more serious, (and more expensive) job to contend with.
0 Replies

auroma

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:09 pm
thx
heh guess that settles it, I will go see a dentist and see what kind of deal he can maybe offer me. Thanks for all the help~
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:12 pm
That's your femur. Those don't grow back, I wouldn't yank it. BUT, if you do, I recommend a method I saw in Family Matters. Tie a string to your tooth, and tie the other end of the string to an open door. Then simply slam the door to yank out the tooth. If you are ever demonstrating this make sure no one is about to come through the door (be sure to account for neighbors).
0 Replies