My job is causing serious health problems

ele1020

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 12:29 am
Hi everyone! I come from a very poor family and I decided to pursue a masters degree in a different country. I gathered all savings I had, went abroad alone with my own money and found a job. Im currently studying and working at the same time. At first it was ok, but I have been working at my job for a total of 4 months and this last month is unbearable. My shift is supposed to be 6hrs/day from Monday to Friday but I work 8-9 hours a day without getting more money or days off and I have not had a single Sat or Sun off since I started working (they usually give me Mondays or Tuesdays off instead). Sounds bad, right? well, thats not the problem believe it or not. My job is so physically demanding that this last month the ONLY thing I do after work is lie in my bed for around 12-13 hrs until the next day comes. My back hurts so much that I only actually sleep around 4 hrs of all those that Im actually in my bed. I have sleeping disorder, headaches, leg and arm pain and back pain that wont go away no matter what remedy or medicine I take. I eat 3 times as much as I used to eat and I still lost 10 kilos in 4 months. If I keep this job I will never study because obviously I am so weak that I cant even walk. I never see my friends anymore and my relationship with my boyfriend is starting to have problems, even though he does more than enough for me on a daily basis. I seroisly feel I will collapse any minute or even stop breathing. Im looking for a new job, but I dont think I can take the pain for so long until I find one. I want to quit tomorrow but if I do, I only have enough money to survive for 2 months. What do you think I should do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 922 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:20 am
@ele1020,
Are you working in Saudi or the Emirates?
ele1020

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:23 am
@roger,
Thanks for the reply! Im in Vienna, Austria!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:45 am
@ele1020,
Marshall your resources and do what you can to find work elsewhere. Contact your school and explain you are having difficulties. Maybe they've got research work there, or you could get a student loan.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 09:51 pm
@ele1020,
Whatever you do, you need to change your schedule and job. You can't continue to harm your health, or you'll not accomplish anything in the future - educationally or career wise.

I'm just wondering why it took you so long to even post this problem on a2k when you should have been seeking medical care and looking for another job.

It's better to stop damaging your health, and work an extra year to accomplish your goals. Otherwise, your future will be bleak because poor health will prevent you from accomplishing your goals.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
@jespah,
I bet Walter could advise on Austrian labor law.
0 Replies