This sentence just doesn't sound right.

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:10 am
I was never proficient at dissecting sentences in high school or college. Sometimes however, some sentences just don't seem right to me. I'm a web developer and the customer wants to use the following on a page and it just doesn't flow as well as I'd like:

"
You shouldn't have to spend countless hours trying to organize something options. We make things quick and simple. Enter in your information, and watch up to 5 something agents provide you with quotes and compete to earn your business – all for free.
"

Are the commas in the correct places? Is it a run-on sentence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 744 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:50 am
@tophathacker,
You shouldn't have to spend countless hours trying to organize something options so we make things quick and simple. Enter your information and watch up to 5 something agents provide you with quotes as they compete to earn your business – all for free

Commas, Top, are on the way out except where meaning is affected
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:57 pm
@tophathacker,
Quote:
Enter in your information, and watch up to 5 something agents provide you with quotes and compete to earn your business – all for free.

You could write:

Enter your information, then watch up to 5 something agents try to earn your business with competitive quotes– all for free.

"Enter in" is a pointless pairing. "Then" clarifies the cause-and-effect relationship. Feel free to ignore the commas, as dalehileman suggests, but you can use them when you feel it helps the reader pause in the right places.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:51 pm
@tophathacker,
Top, I like Val's better than mine
Though I wouldn't have included the comma
neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 11:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Looks like a comma splice to me.
But I was born in New Jersey
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 09:50 am
@neologist,
I don't know a comma splice from a compound adjective
neologist

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 11:51 am
@dalehileman,
Both of us could use another beer.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 01:09 pm
@neologist,
Excellent idea Neo. Have you tried the Czech product LERV Lion Pilsner Style Lager

Delicious of course but one of the features I like best is its size, at 17 oz about 1-1/2 times the usu serving, fine excuse for additional gulp or two exceeding my daily quota
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:39 am
Now that Britain has many EU migrants, when I visit home I increasingly feel I am visiting a foreign country, in a good way - e.g. cosmopolitan outlook, varied cuisine, interesting beers. One of my recent finds in this line is Lech beer from Poland. Another nice brand is Tyskie. Their sausages are good too. We have had Czech beers for decades - Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell, and Budweiser Budvar among others. This latter has nothing whatsoever to do with the Budweiser brand sold in the USA which is owned by Anheuser-Busch. In the US, the Czech beer is sold as "Czechvar", and in the EU the American beer is sold as "Bud". In Germany, the word Budweiser just means "from Budweis (the German name for the town of Budvar)".

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 10:25 am
@contrex,
Thank you Con for that report, which I shall fwd to our membership
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
The sentence seems much better in the light of recent discussion
0 Replies