please help

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:58 pm
@contrex,
I'm not a dick so much as wanting to understand the use of common words that means different things in the UK and the US. Is that so bad?

I'm not 'desperate,' even though you might think so, but that's your problem not mine.

Why is it that the University of Oxford claims to have 38 colleges? A very simple question that you have failed to answer. Whose the dick here?

Also, the fact that I used Yahoo Answers as a source, all you did was criticize its use rather than correcting the information provided. Attacking the source without provide the correct answer makes you a loser!

BTW, you're as gentle as an arse hole!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 04:13 am
From Oxford Dictionaries:

College

1 An educational institution or establishment, in particular:

1.1 One providing higher education or specialized professional or vocational training

1.2 (In Britain) any of the independent institutions into which certain universities are separated, each having its own teaching staff, students, and buildings

1.3 (British) A private secondary school

1.4 (US) A university offering a limited curriculum or teaching only to a bachelor’s degree

1.5 The teaching staff and students of a college considered collectively

2 An organized group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges e.g. the Royal College Of Surgeons
0 Replies