How do I fatten up my cat?

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:10 am
I have a 7 year old long hair Norwegian Wood who has been dropping weight for the past two years. He is not hyperthyroid, does not have diabetes, and does not have parasites. I feed him kitten chow, canned tuna in water, and various other leftovers. The vet gave him a supplement just to see if that would help. He could eat the whole tube in one sitting if I let him. I was thinking of cooking barley in tuna juice because barley is what the gladiators used to eat to put on a very dense type of fat. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,931 • Replies: 11
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:23 am
@Palestrya1,
why is an adult cat eating kitten chow?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 06:46 am
@Palestrya1,
Find something he really likes to eat.

The most basic rule of child nutrition is that if the kid won't or can't eat it, the sum total of nutritional value is ZERO, and I'd assume cats are similar.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 06:47 am
@gungasnake,
One possibility would be yogurt or ice cream...
Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:00 am
@gungasnake,
Generally speaking, many/most adult cats are pretty much lactose-intolerant. Despite the old-school-saucer-of-milk stories. Your suggestion, if followed, could cause this cat to have the runs.
http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cats-and-dairy-get-the-facts
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:02 am
@Palestrya1,
So sorry to see read about your cat's losing weight. How is the cat's energy and activity level?

As they aged, my cats lost some weight, too. They were fine until they reached age 17 and 19 yr, respectively. In other words, when they went, they went from old age.

Quote:
because barley is what the gladiators used to eat to put on a very dense type of fat.

Sorry for bluntness but what possible relevance does a story about a human diet have for a cat? Their metabolism and digestion is not that of a human.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:12 am
@Palestrya1,
Furthermore, from the previous link to expert veterinary care article:

"Remember that treats of all sorts -- such as tuna, meat, cheese, or other “people foods” -- should make up no more than 5% to 10% of your cat’s diet. The rest of your cat's calories should come from a high-quality, nutritionally complete cat food.

If you’re not sure what that means for your cat, talk to your veterinarian. Also, remember that offering table food to a cat often teaches a cat to be finicky."
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
Maybe he's just a skinny cat.

Kitten chow? He's not a kitten.
roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 02:15 pm
@margo,
Maybe the thought is that kitten chow has more calories (maybe it does) and would help fatten him up.

I do know that cats with sever kidney failure will finally refuse the most dainty morsel. Still, this something the average vet will recognize five minutes into an exam. The lab work only serves to confirm what they already know.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:31 pm
@margo,
kitten chow has more protein.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:40 pm
Have these cats been checked for parasites?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 05:16 am
when i looked up this type of cat on wikipedia it seems they do suffer some serious health issues
0 Replies