Bush Adm. met with rapture Christians re Israel action

doglover

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:18 pm
Uh, I did read your whole post Fox. Your comments still sound paranoid and kooky I'm sorry to say.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:23 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
Religious 'zealots' or zealots of any stripe are frequently targetted here, and elsewhere. But Christian zealots get no pass, nor should they

I don't have time to do it, but I would guess a cursory review of the active threads in the A2K political and spirituality/religion forums would find numerous scathing, as well as insulting, hurtful, and insensitive, remarks directed at Christianity and/or Christians and/or George Bush because he is perceived as being Christian.

By comparison I think that same cursory review would find conservatives slamming Islamic fundamentalism that adovcates terrorism and murder, but any criticism of Islam from the left will generally be much milder and will often be mentioned in conjunction with the 'equal' evils of Christianity and/or the greater evils of the current administration.

ARGGGHHH...what is it with you?

1) Christianity is relevant because it is the main faith of our polity, not because it is 'weird' of 'evil'. Other parts of the world will be concerned with the faiths relevant to their polities, if they involve themselves in that polity. This is a SIMPLE point of relevancy.

2) This administration has uniquely inserted Christian notions into the policies of the state, moreso than anyone else in our lifetimes. You may consider that good, I do not. But it isn't arguable as fact. I wouldn't give a damn if Bush was a Buddhist or Clinton was a Jew or if Reagan was a Spiritualist. What IS relevant is the push of that faith into state policy. And, the nature of whatever version of faith is held by a President as regards what that faith version feels is it's proper place in the policies of the state.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham writes:
Quote:
What exactly are you talking about? Nobody here has made a claim such as your second paragraph implies

Look how the writer of the piece that is the thesis of this thread looks at it. And how it is supported by others from the 'left' who see something so terribly sinister in the fact that the president is a professed Christian and relate that to the most extreme examples of fundamentalist Christianity. (Which is absolutely laughable to anybody who knows anything about Methodist doctrine and/or practice.)

Again...there is NOTHING sinister about 'Christianity'. Nor that the President is a confessed Christian. DO YOU GET THAT FINALLY?

That Bush is a Methodist of exactly the sort you suggest is NOT at all clear, as evidenced by other Christians who know him personally (you don't) stated on the recent PBS documentary. I do not believe it at all likely that Bush is steering policy in the mid-east so as to bring about the fulfillment of armageddon prophesy, but I sure do think he's gone way over the line on separation issues. And you bet I think that the fundamentalist contingent has become too powerful within the Republican party, and within this administration, just as the radical contingent in Israel has become too powerful, to everyone's detriment.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:42 pm
blatham wrote:
Tarantulas

Foolish post. Uncareful thinking. Not one sentence of it is true or coherent.

HORSE

PUCKEY

I've seen it again and again, both here and on other boards. Other religions are characterized as being full of peace and enlightenment. But no one ever refers to Christians as just Christians. Instead, it's usually "wacko fundamentalists" or something of the sort. You can deny that it happens, but you will be dishonest with yourself if you do.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:51 pm
Tarantulas

This is a politics forum, not a theology forum. The forms of Christianity which arise here are as a consequence of political activism from certain corners of Christianity. So those corners get talked about, and criticized by those of us who hold to a separation of state and religion.

If the state was mainly comprised of Hindus or Scientologists, and if some radical corner of that majority faith group began pushing to lessen or cancel separation, then THEY would be criticized. In such a case, Christianity would be irrelevant in political discussions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:15 pm
Blatham writes:
Quote:
If the state was mainly comprised of Hindus or Scientologists, and if some radical corner of that majority faith group began pushing to lessen or cancel separation, then THEY would be criticized. In such a case, Christianity would be irrelevant in political discussions.

And there is no evidence of any kind that George Bush or any of his administration have proposed or advocated lessening or canceling separation. There are a few fringe Christian groups who possibly might advocate that and there are a huge chunk of mainstream Christians who are determined not to allow the anti-religious to be the sole voice defining what separation means.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:34 pm
Dr Patrick Johnston illustrates why Christians should not vote for Bush:

Quote:
In George W. Bush, the church has elected a government leader after its own image. Our government and society have descended headlong into the sewage of immorality because the church has. Sodomites and baby-killers fill our government offices because they fill our pews and choir lofts. We have largely ceased to be the salt of the United States of America, and Jesus promised that we'll be cast out and trodden under the boot heels of wicked men. Judgment must first begin in the House of God. Suffering and tyranny will be our lot if we persist in our lukewarmness. There are many more September 11's coming, America. The II Chronicles 7:14 remedy for national forgiveness and healing includes that we "turn from (our) wicked ways." If the American church doesn't repent for tolerating sin and leaving our first love, then the Lord will remove our candlestick. However, if we repent of our tolerance of sin and judge ourselves, if we put impenitent sinners out of the church as I Corinthians 5 instructs, the Lord promises that we will not be judged. If we pray in faith for godly leaders and act in accordance, then the Lord, who sets up and tears down kings, might restore the Republic. The future of our nation and our liberties depends on our obedience to His law and will....

It's time that Christians make the same vow: never again will we use our influence or our vote or a single red cent to encourage one drop of innocent bloodshed. We will draw a line in the sand far enough to the right that no baby-killers, sodomites, or God-haters can win our allegiance. Like Gideon's Army, the Lord may dwindle us down to a zealous few before the victorious battle, but it will be a few out of whom God can get some glory.

As for me and my house, we will support and vote for a Presidential candidate that is pro-life without exceptions, who will not capitulate to the militant sodomites, and who will constrain themselves to the Constitution upon which our nation was founded.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:15 pm
Pat Robertson, founder of Christian Coalition, and Jerry Falwell...not credibly labelled as fringe elements...Robertson being himself a candidate for President and his organization possibly the most powerful Christian political entity in the US. From their famous dialogue post 9-11...
Quote:
Falwell said, "What we saw on Tuesday, as terrible as it is, could be miniscule if, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."
Robertson replied, "Well, Jerry, that's my feeling. I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror, we haven't begun to see what they can do to the major population."
Falwell said, "The ACLU has got to take a lot of blame for this. And I know I'll hear from them for this, but throwing God...successfully with the help of the federal court system...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."
Robertson said, "I totally concur, and the problem is we've adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government, and so we're responsible as a free society for what the top people do, and the top people, of course, is the court system."

What can one even say about 'theology' so unintelligent, uneducated, and unsophisticated as this?

foxfyre said:
Quote:
And there is no evidence of any kind that George Bush or any of his administration have proposed or advocated lessening or canceling separation. There are a few fringe Christian groups who possibly might advocate that and there are a huge chunk of mainstream Christians who are determined not to allow the anti-religious to be the sole voice defining what separation means.

Sentence one is simply not so if the question is as regards 'lessening'. But I have every confidence that evidence proferred would not be considered evidence by you. You will see it as merely a correction.

Of course, those who have argued that Bush indeed has threatened the separation principle are not uncommonly described as 'anti-religious' or 'anti-christian' even if such voices come from synagogues or from professors of theology or from constitutional scholars whose faith is unknown. It's an uncareful, if predictable, slander.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:17 pm
And I think you rewrote what I said to be what you choose for it to say. Smile
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:56 pm
Wow. What a rebuttal, Fox.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:19 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:55 am
That Blatham uses Falwell and Robertson as examples of mainstream Christianity strongly reinforces everything I've posted in this thread.

And Doglover, you think I sound paranoid? I suggest reading through all the various active threads and see the ridiculous way that many in the forums portray GWB's faith. Even the implications in the piece that started this thread and the approval given to it smacks of paranoid prejudice to the extreme.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:27 am
I wonder how all the conseratives would feel if Bush checked with the Pope before he made any state decisions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:32 am
If it was to rally the Pope's base to his cause, which is the case with 'consultations' with anybody, I would think it a shrewd move.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:45 am
Quote:
That Blatham uses Falwell and Robertson as examples of mainstream Christianity strongly reinforces everything I've posted in this thread.

For a smart girl, you can be painfully daft at times. Of course they aren't representative of mainstream Christianity, nor is American evangelism.

If mainstream Christianity was the issue, you and I wouldn't be having this conversation. If Desmond Tutu was head of the Christian Coalition, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If Bush had been reading Malcolm Muggeridge or John Hicks or Augustine instead of Marvin Olasky, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It is NOT mainstream Christianity which is weilding power within the Republican party.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:52 am
The Pope has condemed Bushes war. What about him, the Pope, now foxfire.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:21 am
The Pope has condemned all war rabel. I simply see him as consistent.

And Blatham, I respectfully disagree. I don't think any aspect of the Church, left, right, moderate, extremist, or nutso, controls the Republican party or is attempting to control the Republican party.

What seems to escape the extreme left is that Christians are people too. And they have as much right to speak out and be advocates for their values and how they wish for America to look as do
the athiests and anti-Christian groups. None of the various groups lobbying for their point of view to be heard see themselves as coercive in matters of law and national policy.

I think to protray GWB as a religious extremist or to see as sinister that many Republicans do profess the Christian faith or to single out Christian advocacy as somehow more sinister than any other smacks of good old fashioned paranoid prejudice.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:26 am
I heard that Bush met with members of teh NAACP and now the Klan has decided not top vote for him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:47 am
Quote:
nd Blatham, I respectfully disagree. I don't think any aspect of the Church, left, right, moderate, extremist, or nutso, controls the Republican party or is attempting to control the Republican party.

Again with the uncareful, I didn't say 'controls'...I said 'wielding power'.

Quote:
What seems to escape the extreme left is that Christians are people too. And they have as much right to speak out and be advocates for their values and how they wish for America to look as do
the athiests and anti-Christian groups. None of the various groups lobbying for their point of view to be heard see themselves as coercive in matters of law and national policy.

Extreme left!? Me? That's too funny.

Of course any group has the right to be heard and to attempt to move policies in whatever direction they choose. And it is everyone else's right to attempt to stop them where such policies are seen as injurious or wrong-headed. That's exactly what I'm doing. I just don't give such a group, simply because it is a faith-group, any special status whatsoever.

Secondly, I'm not anti-Christian, nor anti-religion. I would much much rather sit down and spend a day with Desmond Tutu than with pistoff. Or with Joseph Cambell or the Dalai Lama than with pretty much anyone on this site or anyone in my large extended family, for that matter. Religion and Christianity aren't my targets here. You really ought to get this.

Uneducated, incurious, exclusionary and coersive dogma is my target. If you are to claim that the modern Republican party has not moved in that direction, then you hold an opinion NOT shared by many more tempered Christians or Republicans. You've seen the statements from Carter and other Republicans yourself. So knock off the anti-Christian propaganda.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:09 am
I just don't agree Blatham. The modern Republican party is for the most part too moderate to even be considered conservative; and I don't see where it is promoting 'uneducated, incurious, exclusionary, and/or coersive dogma'. Do you describe it that way because you largely disagree with it? Precisely what insidious Christian dogma has made its way into any committee report or bill in Congress?

Is it the abortion issue? Remember that Bill Clinton is the ONLY pro choice president we have ever had and he changed his official position only when he decided to run for president. (And yes, George Bush the elder also changed his official position only when he decided to run for president.)

Is it stem cell research? This is a legitimate debate with excellent arguments being put forth by both sides.

Is it gay marriage? This is also a legitimate debate with excellent arguments being put forth by both sides.

Is it prayer in the schools? This is something many Democrats (including Bill Clinton) favored and is largely a bipartisan issue again with excellent arguments being put forth pro and con.

So where do you see the problem here? I have honestly looked for it and cannot find it.
0 Replies