Does Personality Or Life Story Of An Artist Influence You?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:27 pm
I have an old stack of black and white photos of balboa park, somewhere...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
Yeah, I used to sit in there for an hour at least in a semi-meditative state. Just beautiful.
If you ever find the photos, please show some. I've not been there for fifteen years. Don't know why. I'm only about ten hours from it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:33 pm
You know, me, I still don't have my home scanner in play..

but they're nice, have a certain clarity..

okay, okay, my desk is up for a cleanaround, and then I'll fool with the scanner (it won't work out of the hub, yadayada...)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:21 pm
I just bought a new scanner with my new laptop. I havn't even looked at it or plugged it in. Nothing seems to come with manuals anymore, so I havn't a clue how to proceed. There's a "help" button, but the menu it provides gives help only for more advanced functions. I just want to know the most elementary steps for basic procedures. There's a class that's offered for seventy five dollars, but it deals only with things I don't need yet. Gasp! And I'm still adapting to the ball-point pen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:44 pm
JL, your store should help you. Be stubborn. Make them, or you, write down basic instructions, as in push this, click that.

Those online help things are often good but not good if you don't get it... you speak to one who has thrown her Adobe Photo Shop out by mistake. Luckily I now have another one.

My situation has to do with my hub, I think, which won't be a problem for you.

Plus, after copying batches of abuzz threads, my computer memory is full. I am simply going to have to put some of my files on cds. You, of course, having a new computer, have lots of computer memory.

I know I'm off topic of being off topic.

On personality or life story of the artist?
Thinking...
That's not how I look at a painting, at least at first. It could help me understand it better, on second thought.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:47 pm
And, hi, Joanne-y, glad to see you.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:37 pm
Hello gentle people. Thanks for the warm welcome. Hi JL, Lightwizard, osso, JD, and shepaints. I love the coziness of a small group.

By the way, I haven't seen "Irises" at the Getty yet.
I spent two days looking at the Gardens before I even got inside. It was Spring...what can I say?? The Getty is only a 3 hr drive for me--less, if the traffic is moving. The old Getty in Malibu was one of my favorite places to go to rejuvenate--there, and to the ocean. I loved the Greco-Roman sculpture there, and always wanted to spend at least some time looking at Alma-Tadema's "Spring."
And I always left wondering what it would be like to own something so beautiful and be able to look at it every day.

ww
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:55 am
JL....you will probably find that your scanner
has a downloadable disc which will be the
help manual. Technology! I was given a cell phone for Xmas. and still havent grasped its complexities! All I want is to send and receive calls. I keep stumbling over its text messaging, web functions etc. when trying to do the simplest operations, way too complicated!

ww ....it is better to take in galleries at a leisurely pace, isn't it?...Unfortunately, on holidays, one usually has limited time and its tempting to try to absorb everything.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:24 am
Shepaints, I use my cell phone and computer minimally. That is to say, I exploit a very small range of their functions. Don't need everything they offer. Zippers also give me a lot of trouble.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:39 am
Zippers!

Some of us have had touble sewing them..
and some of us have..

fill in you blank...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:59 pm
Well, just say I have a small scar.
Speaking of scars, how was your surgery this morning?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:16 pm
Turned out not to be this morning but tomorrow night.

Tap tap tap.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Returning to the topic, I have another example of how the life story influence my views on his/her work.

I didn't like Bob Marlyey's music particularly, I found it boring. I even had a little prejudice towards the whole reggae scene. It was up til some weeks ago that I catched Bob's life on the TV that I immediately liked him, I think it was his smile that drew me closer to him.

Anyways, knowing about his battle with cancer and his true commitment to Jamaica made me enjoy his music as I now can feel his sentiment through his voice and notes.
0 Replies

janesays

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:57 pm
Art is something much more than visual appeal. Art is a story. When you first look at a piece you see the overall composition and sometimes I like a piece of art without liking the overall composition. I like the story it tells. I like the details it gives away about the artist. I like the meaning behind it. Art is so amazing. It's like looking through someone elses eyes. But art has evolved remarkably through time. I think that to be a good artist you have to know what your art is about. The only pieces I've created that I really value are the ones that say something that I feel that I can't put into words. They're very personal to me. To answer the question. I like a still life or a landscape because they are beautiful but I like the work of Jackson Pollock even more because it isn't beautiful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
And I think the word beauty encompasses both...
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
JoanneDorel;

To personally know an artist and too see his paintings or shetches brings back many pleasant memories to mind.

Although my friend has passed on, I can still picture him at work and can hear him talking to his work, like everyone was alive.

He always had time for a cigarette and often would stop working for a glassor two of champagne.

Yes to know the artist matters alot.

Joe Harris
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
Ossobuco: "And I think the word beauty encompasses both."
I second that.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:07 am
http://www.worcestercitymuseums.org.uk/mag/magpex/kurt/kj14.jpg

webpage to see the rest of the series

this weekend I saw this exhibition of Kurt Jackson's work (I actually saw it in Kings Lynn though this website is from Worcester,the exhibtion is travelling, sponsored by the Arts Council) it was utterly brilliant and this particular painting had a video of it being created, which was played in front of the painting, There was no commentary, just the sound of the waves as he worked on an unstretched canvas, 119.5cm x 325cm, on the cliff top, barefoot and often using his feet to spread the paint as he walked back and forth across the canvas, it was really interesting to be able to glance up to the finished piece as you watched the painting emerge on video. Sadly this isn't a particularly good photo of the piece.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:50 am
Thank you so much for posting that image,
Vivien, and for the vivid description.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:02 am
Thanks, Joanne. Thanks again for your thoughtful topic.

Gonna miss you.

ww
0 Replies