Does Personality Or Life Story Of An Artist Influence You?

JLNobody

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 11:49 am
That makes sense.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:31 pm
Yesterday I came accross Ruch's Theorem: Behind every great writer there lies a disgruntled father, a bemused law professor, and a grandmother cheerfully steeped in the unreal.

You can read in this biography of Umberto Eco
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:13 pm
JoeFX, so glad you are here, a new voice to actually listen to......

hi, jl, I tried to save some abuzz threads on art, and got a few, but then, as I hadn't learned to put stuff on cd's, my computer got full up.

If anyone is interested in saving, I have some url numbers for the artist studio threads, but I don't have room on my computer to save them myself.

pm me, and I'll give you the numbers. or maybe I'll do it in another post on the forum, though tired.

Abuzz was still on line a few hours ago and might or might not lose posting ability before the whole shebang.

osso
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
thanks for the kind words you speak osso, though I'm sure I'll dissapoint you soon enough

see ya in another post, I guess
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Osso, Abuzz is defunct now. I'm not so broken hearted as I would have been if they passed on three years ago (before I discovered A2K). But when Abuzz died it was very sick, so I guess it was for the best. Let's not let that happen to A2K.

Yes, welcome JoeFX. I have been enjoying your posts. A great addition to A2K.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
Jl or anyone, why did Abuzz die and why do you consider it sick?

I never went to that site.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
paulaj -- many of us here on A2K, including just about all the moderators, cut our eye-teeth at Abuzz, so to speak. It was a forum, much like this, run by the NYTimes/Boston Globe. It became sick about three years ago when NYTimes Digital cut its budget to virtually zero and, as a consequence, got rid of all moderators. It became an unmoderated arena, rife with multiple-identity posters, impostors, and we generally called "trolls" -- those who stalk other posters and post vile, slanderous and insulting messages. The powers that be finally closed it down yesterday. There is a movement afoot to get it reestablished as a non-profit. A group of die-hard Abuzzers have formed a discussion group at Yahoo Groups to tackle this possibility. For some, the demise of Abuzz was truly traumatic.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
Thanks, Merry Andrew, that was as accurate and concise as anyone could make it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:55 pm
What was its value? Some of the best spontaneous writing, well, really, the best spontaneous writing I have ever seen. Grand wit, occasional erudition, absolutely sparkling conversation.. at its best. Some of the best was in Dlowan's Digression threads, which have been saved.

Lot of really funny threads. Amazing cooking threads. Long lived art studio discussion.

Lot of real wheat among the shaft/chaff.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
Thanks folks,

Sounds like I missed alot of good stuff, but I get plenty from A2k :-)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:41 pm
Yeah, Paulaj. That's my consolation too.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:41 pm
The trolls made minimal inroads to the art threads.....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 11:09 pm
That's true, Shepaints. I noticed them mainly elsewhere, in threads I merely observed but did not address.
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 01:33 pm
Well, I just lost my post here. It was a "hello" to everyone and my comment on the topic question.

It was about my response to van Gogh's "Irises"; upon seeing the original for the first time and how I was so overcome by the emotion in the painting that I spontaneously wept, the moment I saw the original. Later, I discovered that he began the painting just after he entered the asylum at Saint-Remy.

The painter and the painting are one-- and-- they are also separate entities. I didn't understand the emotion I was feeling at the time. It was more than the stunning beauty of the painting. I felt a struggle to make something complex and confusing more harmonious & understandable, if you will. As I say about my own work:"to make something beautiful out of the pain." It was if I could "see" van Gogh's emotions--right there on the canvas.

Thinking aloud here, I guess I might be influenceed by biographical information about an artist. For example: If I heard that Edvard Munch sold insurance in Oslo for 20 years before he started to paint, I would be inclined to think that someone got their facts very wrong. On the other hand, if *I* had to sell insurance for 20 years, I might be inclined to paint something like "The Scream." That is...if I could paint. ;-)

ww
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
Oh, my. That yellow 'smilie' just doesn't 'go' with my post. Gad.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 01:48 pm
Went with the last two lines of the post just fine. I know I'm almost driven to scream everytime I approach anything having to do with insurance. Welcome to A2K and the art forum.

I love the location of the "Irises" at the Getty where the natural light from the skylight gives the colors a natural vibrancy. The motion and emotion of the painting is really stunning and it helps to have one of the Monet catheral facades at dusk nearby in the same light. The curators at the Getty are really quite wonderful.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
yes, WW, glad you made the transfer to A2K. A good move. Sounds like you had an acute attack of compassion for Van Gogh.
I havn't been to the Getty yet, LW. Now I must. I didn't know that Irises is there. It's one of my favorite Van Goghs.
By the way, Charles Ives, the great composer, was an insurance executive for many years, and the English novelist, Anthony Trollope was a post office clerk and administrator all his adult life. One never knows.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
JLN I have not been to the Getty either. I am hoping to catch a bus trip from the San Diego Museum of Art one of these days. They run an all day trip every month from Balboa Park. Only $50 buck and you don't have to drive in LA.

Welcome to A2k WW.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
Hi, Joanne. It's good to think of you in Balboa Park. That's one of my favorite places. It definitely has the most comfortable weather in the country. My late wife and I used to even sleep on the grass there, after picniking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:26 pm
The aviary, I love the aviary...
0 Replies