Powell Admits False WMD Claim

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:12 am
Powell Admits False WMD Claim
05/17/2004
David Corn - Capitol Games

It would be a foolish endeavor to call for this Republican Congress to mount a thorough investigation of this Republican administration. But what else is there to do in response to the comments made by Secretary of State Colin Powell this past weekend?

Appearing on Meet the Press, Powell acknowledged--finally!--that he and the Bush administration misled the nation about the WMD threat posed by Iraq before the war. Specifically, he said that he was wrong when he appeared before the UN Security Council on February 5, 2003, and alleged that Iraq had developed mobile laboratories to produce biological weapons. That was one of the more dramatic claims he and the administration used to justify the invasion of Iraq. (Remember the drawings he displayed.) Yet Powell said on MTP, "it turned our that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading." Powell did not spell it out, but the main source for this claim was an engineer linked to the Iraqi National Congress, the exile group led by Ahmed Chalabi, who is now part of the Iraqi Governing Council.

Powell noted that he was "comfortable at the time that I made the presentation it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment of the intelligence community." In other words, the CIA was scammed by Chalabi's outfit, and it never caught on. So who's been fired over this? After all, the nation supposedly went to war partly due to this intelligence. And partly because of this bad information over 700 Americans and countless Iraqis have lost their lives. Shouldn't someone be held accountable? Maybe CIA chief George Tenet, or his underlings who went for the bait? Or Chalabi's neocon friends and champions at the Pentagon: Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle? How do they feel about their pal, the great Iraqi leader, now?

For months after the invasion, George W. Bush told the public that he had based his decision to invade Iraq on "good, solid intelligence." Does he still believe that? Has anyone told him that his government was hornswoggled by Chalabi, who was once convicted of massive bank fraud in Jordan. (Since Bush has said he does not read the newspapers or pay much attention to conventional media, he may not have heard about Powell's remarks unless an aide bothered to brief him on them.) And in January, Dick Cheney said that there was "conclusive evidence" that Saddam Hussein had manufactured bioweapons labs on wheels. Is he willing to say he was wrong?

For his part, Chalabi has not shown any regret. In February, he told the London Telegraph, "we are heroes in error....As far as we're concerned, we've been entirely successful. That tyrant Saddam is gone, and the Americans are in Baghdad. What was said before is not important."

Perhaps not for him. But Powell--fronting for Bush--placed his credibility on the line before the war. A Powell associate told The New York Times that Powell is "out there publicly saying this now because he doesn't want a legacy as the man who made up stories to provide the president with cover to go to war." But if Powell did not make up the stories himself, he was none too reluctant to peddle them. And he has displayed little outrage in public that he was turned into a fibbing pimp for the war.

In fact, at the time of his UN presentation, there was reason for Powell and the administration to be suspicious of the claims Powell were hurling. After his UN speech, several experts in the field of bioweapons said that it was possible for Hussein to develop mobile bioweapons labs but not likely that he could. "This strikes me as a bit far-fetched," observed Raymond Zilinskas, a former weapons inspector. Why did Powell and the CIA trust the word of a biased source that could not be confirmed more than the expertise of independent scientists? The answer is all too obvious. (There were plenty of other problems with Powell's UN performance. For instance, he maintained that one Iraqi military official had ordered another to "clean out" an ammunition site that was about to be inspected; but the official translation of this intercepted conversation, which was posted on the State Department website, did not contain that order. Powell also claimed there was a direct and close connection between Osama bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a terrorist operating in northern Iraq, which was an area outside of Baghdad's control. But Powell provided sketchy evidence regarding what is probably a complicated, perhaps even competitive, relationship and one that apparently had nothing to do with Saddam Hussein.)

On Meet the Press, Powell said of the bioweapons claim, "I am disappointed and I regret it." But that's not good enough. Powell provided cover for Bush's case for war. And he's still providing cover for the Bush administration overall. Why is he not angrily calling for an inquiry into how Chalibi flim-flammed the CIA and the administration? Why is Powell sticking around and helping Bush get reelected, when it's expected he will resign after that and leave the public with an administration that is not moderated (to the extent that it is) by the presence of this presumably sage grown-up?

Think about it. The secretary of state revealed that he, the CIA and the administration were conned (perhaps too easily) by exiles supported by the Pentagon, and this fraud helped set the stage for a war and a bloody and difficult occupation that still is claiming the lives of Americans. If this is not cause for investigations, dismissals, and angry statements from congressional leaders and administration officials, then what is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,068 • Replies: 27
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:18 am
You are a traitorous, Saddam loving, scumbag who delights in the death of American soldiers and prays to Allah nightly for the destruction of your own country. You need to be locked up.

Just thought I'd beat the rush. Rolling Eyes :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:25 am
BPB
BPB, whew! for a minute there I thought you had figured out who I really am---until I read the last paragraph.

BBB Confused
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:43 am
David Corn is a great fictional writer. He took what someone said and warped it to mean what he wanted to mean, not what it meant.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:52 am
I believe David Corn is a real person -- I don't read anything but what Powell actually said and did. Where are the "ficitional" parts?
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:12 am
Yet Powell said on Meet The Press, "it turned our that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading."

Powell had better have eyes behind his back.

Those around Lord Bush don't want this sort of honesty told. Especially, with Bush's approval numbers at 42% (Newsweek) and it being an election year.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:24 am
This is what he actually said.

Quote:
Russert: Thank you very much, sir. In February of 2003, you put your enormous personal reputation on the line before the United Nations and said that you had solid sources for the case against Saddam Hussein. It now appears that an agent called Curveball had misled the CIA by suggesting that Saddam had trucks and trains that were delivering biological and chemical weapons. How concerned are you that some of the information you shared with the world is now inaccurate and discredited?

Powell: I'm very concerned. When I made that presentation in February 2003, it was based on the best information that the Central Intelligence Agency made available to me. We studied it carefully; we looked at the sourcing in the case of the mobile trucks and trains. There was multiple sourcing for that. Unfortunately, that multiple sourcing over time has turned out to be not accurate. And so I'm deeply disappointed. But I'm also comfortable that at the time that I made the presentation, it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment of the intelligence community. But it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that, I am disappointed and I regret it.

Now, explain to me how that becomes "Powell Admits False WMD Claim"?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:28 am
Powell's explanation is eloquent, all right. Of course, reading between the lines, it could also be: "We needed to find evidence of WMDs in Iraq, and the CIA came through for us. It was all false, but that's what we had at the time."

Because that's what the CIA was told to find. Or told to say they'd found...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:36 am
You don't say you regret something if you are admitting to something. Get real.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:42 am
Is this another one of those things where the left believes what they want no matter what the truth is or no matter what can be proven or not proven?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
Is this another one of those things where the left believes what they want no matter what the truth is or no matter what can be proven or not proven?

How about CNN?

CIA Wrong on Iraq 'Mobile Labs,' Powell Says

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency was wrong about Iraq's purported pre-war mobile biological weapons laboratories, a key part of the case about suspected weapons of mass destruction, Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Sunday.

"I'm very concerned," he said in reply to a question on the NBC program "Meet the Press" about having used claims in a U.N. Security Council speech now known to have been "inaccurate and discredited."

CNN Link
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:49 am
Anyone can pull quotes out of context and write an article proving a point that they wish to make. Mr. Corn did a very fine job of that. When I read the transcript I come away with a different impression than what the article is trying to make.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:52 am
As he should be. Concern is important when you find out that your sources are wrong about something.

Nothing that Powell has said equates to what Mr. Corn-holio has pandered above.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:54 am
The other problem is that if some prominant person admits to error about anything, their opponents often use it as proof that they have been in error about everything.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:02 pm
So the only argument you really have is to make snide alterations of the author's name? That shows the weakness in your denial.

So it's a given that he admitted something? Otherwise, although I see nobody doing it, one couldn't accuse him of being in error about everything.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
So the only argument you really have is to make snide alterations of the author's name? That shows the weakness in your denial.

Shocked If that's all you get from it, then I am sorry for you.

Quote:
So it's a given that he admitted something? Otherwise, although I see nobody doing it, one couldn't accuse him of being in error about everything.

What is it he is admitting? I want you to tell me so I know what you are thinking.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:16 pm
Foxfyre:
Quote:
The other problem is that if some prominant person admits to error about anything, their opponents often use it as proof that they have been in error about everything.

Aha! This is exactly the test that distinguishes Great Person wannabes from the real ones. When Einstein admitted his 'Cosmological constant' had been an error, his opponents did not prosper one bit.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:24 pm
You got it, relative.

McGentrix, you're reverting to your usual ineffective baiting game. I understand the article and what he admitted to. If you don't, I'm the one that feels sorry for you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:25 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You got it, relative.

McGentrix, you're reverting to your usual ineffective baiting game. I understand the article and what he admitted to. If you don't, I'm the one that feels sorry for you.

Yeah, ok, whatever. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:27 pm
Einstein was not running for any political office; therefore the comparison won't wash.
0 Replies