Tony Randall, Fastidious Half of 'Odd Couple,' Dies at 84

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:28 am
Tony Randall, Fastidious Half of 'Odd Couple,' Dies at 84
Comic Actor Also Steered Effort to Bring Classic Theater Back to Broadway
By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP
5/18/04

NEW YORK (May 18) - Tony Randall, the comic actor best known for playing fastidious photographer Felix Unger on the television comedy "The Odd Couple," has died. He was 84.

Randall died in his sleep Monday night at New York University Medical Center of complications from a long illness, according to his publicity firm, Springer Associates.

He is survived by his wife, Heather Harlan Randall, who made him a father for the first time at age 77, and their two children, 7-year-old Julia Laurette and 5-year-old Jefferson Salvini.

Randall appears with Leif Garrett in a 1974 'Odd Couple' episode.

Randall won an Emmy for playing Unger on the sitcom based on Neil Simon's play and movie. The show ran from 1970-75, but Randall won after it had been canceled, prompting him to quip at the awards ceremony: "I'm so happy I won. Now if I only had a job."

The show's charm sprang from Randall's chemistry and conflict with Jack Klugman as sloppy sportswriter Oscar Madison, with whom he's forced to share an apartment after both men get divorced.

Before that, Randall was best known as the fastidious "best friend" figure in several Rock Hudson-Doris Day movies, including 1959's "Pillow Talk" and 1961's "Lover Come Back."

The actor became a fixture on David Letterman's late-night television talk shows, appearing a record 70 times on the "Late Show" alone. He made fun of his own prim image by taking part in Letterman's wacky antics, including allowing himself to be covered in mud.

After "The Odd Couple," Randall had two short-lived sitcoms, one of which was "The Tony Randall Show," in which he played a stuffy Philadelphia judge, from 1976-78.

From 1981-83, he played the title role in the sitcom "Love, Sidney," as a single, middle-aged commercial artist helping a female friend care for her young daughter.

The show was based on a TV movie in which Sidney was gay; in the TV show, the character's sexual orientation was implied, but never specified. This occurred more than a decade before the much-hyped coming-out on "Ellen" in 1997, which made Ellen DeGeneres' character the first openly gay central figure on a network television series.

For his television work, Randall got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1998.

In an effort to bring classic theater back to Broadway, Randall founded and was artistic director of the non-profit National Actors Theatre in 1991, using $1 million of his own money and $2 million from corporations and foundations. The company's first production was a revival of Arthur Miller's "The Crucible," starring Martin Sheen and Michael York, which hadn't been staged on Broadway in 40 years.

The next year, Randall's production of Ibsen's "The Master Builder" didn't exactly draw raves. AP Drama Critic Michael Kuchwara called it "deadly earnest - and dull."

Subsequent performances included "Night Must Fall," "The Gin Game" and "The Sunshine Boys," in which Randall reunited with Klugman, in 1998. Randall also starred in his company's Tony Award-winning staging of "M. Butterfly."

The actor also was socially active, lobbying against smoking in public places, marching in Washington against apartheid in the '80s, and helping raise money for AIDS research in the '90s.

Born Leonard Rosenberg on Feb. 26, 1920, Randall was drawn as a teenager to roadshows that came through his hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

"One night, the entire town turned out to see the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo perform Swan Lake and Sheherezade," he wrote. "I - and most of the audience - had never seen a ballet before. We stood and cheered, thinking it was a 'once in a lifetime' event."

Randall attended Northwestern University before heading to New York at 19, where he made his stage debut in 1941 in "The Circle of Chalk."

After Army service during World War II from 1942-46, he returned to New York, where he appeared on radio and early television. He got his start in movies in 1957.

He was married to his college sweetheart, Florence Randall, for 54 years until she died of cancer in 1992.

"I saw her in a bank - I never saw another girl in my life. She was gorgeous, the most beautiful girl I ever saw," Randall said in a TV interview in 1995.

Later that year, he married Harlan, who was 50 years his junior. Randall met her through his National Actors Theatre; former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani performed the ceremony.

Harlan gave birth to their first child, Julia Laurette Randall, in April 1997. Their second child, Jefferson Salvini Randall, was born in June 1998.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:31 am
He was a fascinating man.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:45 am
Oh no, not Felix! I thought he was great.

In the early eighties, I think, he was also in a little-known movie called "Foolin' around", in which he played the very stiff and increasingly agitated butler. He was hilarious in that movie, which overall, was pretty silly and not so great. I think Annette O'Toole was in it too.

Anyway, I hope they start re-running the old odd couples now. What a funny show.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:51 am
He was unique...he will be missed...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:56 am
BBB
I always despised Tony Randall because he never seemed to gain a pound above his youthful weight. I hate people who can do that.

BBB :wink: Drunk
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:07 am
Oh, wow. During the series finale of "Frasier", RP and I realized Randall's heir is David Hyde Pierce.

I wonder if you can iron and starch a new pair of wings? :-D

He'll be missed.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:31 am
I'm wondering if he passed away from the same type of complications that Rock Hudson did?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 04:03 pm
husker wrote:
I'm wondering if he passed away from the same type of complications that Rock Hudson did?

Rock Hudson died of AIDS. Tony Randall had pneumonia after heart surgery.

"A world without Tony Randall I cannot recognize and never will accept."

- Jack Klugman, in an interview with Fox News
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 04:22 pm
Thanks for posting this BBB.
The article neglected to mention the Doris Day/ Rock Hudson movie, "Send Me No Flowers". Tony Randall was hilarious and practically stole the movie from the stars.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:39 pm
It's wonderful that he had two really amazing marriages. One of 50 years duration, and the second producing two children when he was in his 70's. Whadda guy!

On the CBC As It Happens coverage tonight, they played the funniest version of You're So Vain - sung by Oscar to Felix, with interjections by Felix. It was marvellous.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:51 pm
He was also very good as a regular guest on Late Night with David Letterman.

There was one skit where Dave said they had a few extra minutes on the show, and he wondered aloud how he could use those few minutes.

He said, "I know, I'll call Tony, he'll be great for these extra minutes!"

So, Dave ran down to the street with camera crew in tow, to a waiting car that sped him to Tony's place. Tony answered the door, and Dave said, "come on, Tony, I've got some extra minutes on the show! Let's go! It'll be great!

Tony, taken by surprise said, "Of course I'll go, Dave! Anything for you! Let me just get my stuff . . ."

"There's no time, Tony! We've got a few minutes! Let's go!"

"Oh, this'll be great, Dave! I can tell my new joke, and . . ."

"Come on, Tony, let's go!"

"Ok, OK, Dave! How's this tie? Should I wear this tie?"

"It doesn't matter, Tony! We've got to go!"

"Ok, Dave, Ok! This'll be great, Dave!"

So, they get into the car, speed on over to Rockerfeller Plaza (when the show was on NBC), run through the corridors, run right into the studio, sit down, they put a mike on Tony, and Dave says,

"Well, were out of time, Tony! Thanks for being here!"

Tony looks perplexed, looks at the audience, and then turns to Dave, "sure, Dave, anything for you. It was my pleasure!"

And they turned to a commercial.

That was one of the funniest moments on television I have ever seen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:53 pm
84! Wowsa!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:07 pm
A. Leonard Rosenberg (Tony Randall's original Jewish name) grew up about a mile away from where I live and went to elementary school in a building that has since been adapted for retail use. It is part of the restored historic business district for which I handle public relations. His childhood home was torn down in the early '90s to make way for a new upscale gated residential development next to the trendy business district. The congregation his family belonged to is also in my area. I was out walking the district this afternoon doing event planning when I heard the news. I wonder what he would have thought of his old neighborhood if he could see it now. As far as we know, he hadn't visited his hometown since the '70s.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:42 pm
One of a kind.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:52 pm
A funny man who knew that true comedy, really good comedy, was in timing. The pause before the punchline could be funnier than the line itself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:03 pm
Doesn't Nick at Nite show the reruns? I saw the one just the other night when Felix and Oscar were on Password.
0 Replies

Bcorr

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:00 pm
This one made me very sad -- in part because his characters always seemed so real, even when extreme personalities -- and partly becasue I realize the the icons of my childhood seems to be passing with more and more frequency.

Sigh.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:06 pm
We were watching a bit of The Odd Couple on Nick at Nite, and I was struck by how much of what Felix insisted on - and that we thought of as funny in the 60s (and then in the 70s, in reruns), is actually legit and a good idea. To wit:
* don't litter
* don't smoke
* eat healthy foods
* prepare most of the food yourself (you save money and have pride in your accomplishment)
* be a patron of the arts
* you can be a man (and attractive to women!) even if you're not a sports fan or conventional in other ways

etc. you get the idea. What Oscar has going for him is also interesting:
* relax every now and then
* get together regularly with your friends
* and, take in your friends when they're down and out (he's the one who took in Felix, not the other way around)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:01 pm
Wondering, I think he was also on What's My Line, all those years ago. Dumb quiz show, but past the dumb, some very smart people on that show, and the banter was good. I guess. I think a lot of it was over my head. Hmmm, was Ogden Nash a frequent guest?

He'll always continue to be a certain age with a certain voice for me, whatever his bodily presence.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:24 pm
That's right. He'll always be Felix, and I really hope he's cool with that, but I also remember his characters in the Rock Hudson/Doris Day movies. How could you not love him?
0 Replies