Reading Hamas the Riot Act!

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:49 am
@Brandon9000,
And you, of course, feel justice hasn't been served by the US not being brought to justice for bringing down an Iranian airliner?

Iran Air Flight 655
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Iran Air Flight 655
A similar A300B2-200 registered EP-IBT
Shootdown summary
Date 3 July 1988
Summary Shot down by USS Vincennes
Site Strait of Hormuz, Persian Gulf
Passengers 274
Crew 16
Fatalities 290 (all)
Survivors 0
Aircraft type Airbus A300B2-203
Operator Iran Air
Registration EP-IBU
Flight origin Mehrabad International Airport
Tehran, Iran
Last stopover Bandar Abbas Int'l Airport
Bandar Abbas, Iran
Destination Dubai International Airport
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
[show]

v
t
e

Iran–Iraq War

Iran Air Flight 655 was an Iran Air civilian passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai that was shot down by the United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes on 3 July 1988. The incident took place in Iranian airspace, over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, and on the flight's usual flight path. The aircraft, an Airbus A300 B2-203, was destroyed by SM-2MR surface-to-air missiles fired from the Vincennes.

All 290 on board, including 66 children and 16 crew, died.[1] This event ranks seventh among the deadliest disasters in aviation history, tenth if including the 9/11 attacks, which includes ground casualties; the incident retains the highest death toll of any aviation incident in the Persian Gulf. The Vincennes had entered Iranian territorial waters after one of its helicopters drew warning fire from Iranian speedboats operating within Iranian territorial limits.[2][3]

According to the Iranian government, Vincennes negligently shot down the civilian aircraft: the airliner was making IFF squawks in Mode III (not Mode II used by Iranian military planes), a signal that identified it as a civilian craft.[4][5]

According to the United States Government, the crew incorrectly identified the Iranian Airbus A300 as an attacking F-14A Tomcat fighter, a plane made in the United States and operated at that time by only two forces worldwide, the United States Navy and the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force. The Iranian F-14s had been supplied by manufacturer Grumman in an air-to-air configuration only and had no known anti-ship capabilities.[6][7]

The event generated a great deal of controversy and criticism of the United States. Some analysts have blamed U.S. military commanders and the captain of Vincennes for reckless and aggressive behavior in a tense and dangerous environment.[8][9]

As of 1993, the United States had not apologized to Iran.[10] In 1996, the United States and Iran reached "an agreement in full and final settlement of all disputes, differences, claims, counterclaims" relating to the incident at the International Court of Justice, including a recognition of the incident in the form of "...the United States recognized the aerial incident of 3 July 1988 as a terrible human tragedy and expressed deep regret over the Loss of lives caused by the incident...".[11] As part of the settlement, the United States did not admit legal liability but agreed to pay on an "ex gratia" basis US$61.8 million, amounting to $213,103.45 per passenger, in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims.

Iran Air still uses flight number IR655 on the Tehran–Dubai route as a memorial to the victims.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:51 am
@oralloy,
So they get a freebie. 200+ dead - oops.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@maxdancona,
1. Lies and hypocrisy. But what can one expect from the USA and those that provide cover for its crimes.

2. Whereas the USA has provided material aid to those who kill the people who elected Hamas.

3. More incredible hypocrisy, more of that unbelievable self absorption. Y'all are killing innocents, have been for a long time, Max the incredible hypocrite, Max the supporter of terrorists and war criminals, and you are concerned about yourself. Death camp guard material you surely are.

4. Stunning hypocrisy. The terrorists want to be the brokers for peace. Phantasmagorical!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:06 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
@Brandon9000,
I love irony, Brandon. Thank you for making me chuckle, it lightened up my morning. That's all I will say about that.

You love the irony, that's rich, Max. You can't bring yourself to be honest enough to mention the USA downing of the Iranian passenger jet.

Tsars also did the USian song and dance. Bobsal is honest.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 02:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Gee, Tsarstepan, Max and Brandon are silent. How come?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 02:55 pm
@JTT,
Well JTTalloy, It seems you have already said everything you have to say. You are boring me now. (But I speak only for myself).
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I never thought I'd see the day when Maxdancona turned into a lily-livered coward.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I love irony, Brandon. Thank you for making me chuckle, it lightened up my morning. That's all I will say about that.

Not an argument. "That's all I will say about that," means that you painted yourself into a corner and need a distraction to make an exit.

I said only one thing - that those who shoot down civilian airliners should pay a heavy price and you responded with a challenge. Either you don't believe that shooting down a civilian plane should result in arrest, or else you do and challenged a statement that you agree with. If the former, I disagree. If the latter, then your comments are irrational.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:23 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
JTTalloy

I asked you to justify this on the previous page, with no reply.

I am willing to discuss this if you wish to justify yourself. But if you persist in hostile behavior without offering any justification, I will have no choice but to defend myself from your aggression.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:24 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I said only one thing - that those who shoot down civilian airliners should pay a heavy price and you responded with a challenge. Either you don't believe that shooting down a civilian plane should result in arrest, or else you do and challenged a statement that you agree with. If the former, I disagree. If the latter, then your comments are irrational.

Whether or not such an event is a crime depends on the circumstances.

For instance, when the US did it, our sailors thought they were under imminent attack and were about to be killed if they did not fire that shot.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:08 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Whether or not such an event is a crime depends on the circumstances.

For instance, when the US did it, our sailors thought they were under imminent attack and were about to be killed if they did not fire that shot.

Right, but at the least, someone shooting down a civilian airliner needs to be brought in for questioning even if there is only an issue of negligence. If a plane flies over a well publicized no fly zone and is warned repeatedly before being shot down, it's different from shooting down a plane without warning that is flying over a normal civilian route.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:34 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Right, but at the least, someone shooting down a civilian airliner needs to be brought in for questioning

Hmmmm.... there is just one problem with that.

Just who is doing this questioning? (Presumably the same unbiased party who questioned the US navy soldiers should also question the Russian rebels.)
RABEL222

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 01:54 pm
@maxdancona,
As I remember it Max the navy boys did warn the Iranian plane to stay away from a no fly zone but the Iranian pilot dident think they would shoot. Big mistake. So far as I can find no warning was given the plane in Ukranian space. The Russians military seem to be as cold blooded as the U S of A military.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:41 pm
@RABEL222,
You remember it incorrectly.

The Iranian plane shot down by the US Navy did everything correctly and the pilot acted as any commercial pilot would have. The navy didn't follow protocol. They made calls on an emergency channel to "unidentified Iranian aircraft" and incorrectly gave their speed. Given that the plane was climbing and following its standard flight plan, the pilot had no reason to believe he was in danger.

I am not defending the Russian Rebel shooters. Clearly this situation situation is very different.

I am just poking fun at Brandon, and at ridiculous nationalistic hypocrisy in general.

(JTTalloy.... you are still boring)
oralloy

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 07:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
JTTalloy

Max Dancona is a child molester.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 08:09 pm
@oralloy,
Would you like some candy little JTTalloy?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:09 pm
Even if America got involved militarily with the Gaza thing, it's hard to see what they could do.
Israel have invaded to destroy the Hamas tunnels and they seem to be doing it well enough without America's help.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
What are you talking about Romeo? Those are American bought weapons killing in Gaza.

Israel is getting quite a lot of America's help, $30 billion dollars worth of American help.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:29 pm
Quote:
Maxdonca said: What are you talking about Romeo? Those are American bought weapons killing in Gaza.
Israel is getting quite a lot of America's help, $30 billion dollars worth of American help.

I was talking about American troops being sent into Gaza which ain't gonna happen.
We all know the American taxpayer has been propping up Israel for many years with truckloads of cash and super-duper weaponry including nukes, that's why the muslims hit America with 9/11.
Beats me why the American people don't wake up and say "Hey why the hell are we supporting Israel and making ourselves a terror target as Israel's friend? What has Israel ever done for us?"
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Funny if it wasn't so serious! They are willing to kill children and bomb UN schools. Warnings? Give me a break!
Wanna buy a bridge I have for sale - cheap?