Can anyone explain this?

rufio

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:13 pm
Presumably, this has some historical background, I don't know. Anyway, I was just thinking the other day and noticed this:

You are....... aren't you?
He is......... isn't he?
They are......... aren't they?

And yet:

I am............. aren't I?

Shouldn't it be "amn't" or maybe something a little more pronounceable anyway? Or is this an acceptable use of "ain't"? And the other way around, there's no first person equivalent to "you aren't" - just "I'm not" which is more like "you're not".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,325 • Replies: 19
No top replies

gracie

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 01:39 am
well...i had this sort of question myself...but as i was in my in my french class senior year...this is how my teacher explained the complications of the english language...the english language is a complex world away from the reasonable...meaning although it doesnt make sense..that is what we are taught...anyhoo...."amn't" doesnt have the correct sound as "aren't"...another way of saying this is that we use "aren't" because it is the respectable usage in the question form....believe me when i say that I am still confused to this day...haha...do save you anything....just say it like this: "am i not?"....lol
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:41 am
"Amn't" was acceptable usage about two hundred years ago. Now the contraction is out of fashion.
0 Replies

Julchen1980

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:43 am
Hi there!

I have got a question. I usually have problems with the usage of "when" and "if". I never know when to use which word. Can you help? Thanks!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:33 pm
Julchen--

Welcome to A2K.

"When" is usually used whenever the outcome is definite.

When summer comes.....

When the program is over.....

When I graduate....

"If" means the outcome is uncertain.

Summer is going to come; the program will be over. Some people are sure to graduate--and others people would be more accurate to say, "If I graduate...."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:53 pm
Julchen1980 wrote:
Hi there!

I have got a question. I usually have problems with the usage of "when" and "if". I never know when to use which word. Can you help? Thanks!

Hope, you know the difference when using "wenn" and "falls" in German, but you Bergische ..... Laughing (My wife is from Solingen and -even worse- has lived some years in Cologne.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:17 pm
I never heard of amn't, and I had no idea that it was once used.

I do recall that "ain't" could be acceptable only if it's used in first person, because there is no contraction for I am not. (I thought)

I prefer: I am your friend, am I not?

In formal writing, stay away from contractions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:26 pm
Ain't developed out of the (differently pronounced) an't and a'n't - this website from the English department of a German university gives some answers, googling you'll find a lot more.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:39 pm
Well, Walter. As I once observed, grammar is sooooooo boring. Smile but I do think rufio is referring more to usage. Ain't that so?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Ain't you sweet, Letty :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 02:14 pm
What would this song be if proper usage were used:

Is not she sweet,
See her coming down the street.
Now I ask you very con-fi-den-tial-ly
Is she not sweet.

Sorry, rufio. Couldn't resist. Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:46 pm
Lettie--

Pick up any Regency Romance and you'll find 'amn't'--toff talk among the bloods and bucks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:25 pm
Noddy, my friend. I have never read one romance novel. Toff talks among the bloods and bucks?

Ten bucks will say that I'm not a day over 39, but you know how them Indians lie when they get a little fire water. Razz

Did have one Brit tell me about a load of old toff.

Goodnight, my cyber friends.

From Florida
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:30 pm
Our mate dlowan has been noted to use amn't!
0 Replies

Julchen1980

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Hope, you know the difference when using "wenn" and "falls" in German, but you Bergische ..... Laughing (My wife is from Solingen and -even worse- has lived some years in Cologne.)

Well, I do know the difference between "wenn" and "fallls" in German but somehow it is different in English... Perhaps I'm only thinking that it is more difficult... Hey, what is so bad about Cologne? It is quite nice there I think Laughing
0 Replies

Julchen1980

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:34 am
Noddy24,

thanks for the explanation.

So if (why do I have to use if here? - it doesn't have anything to do with certainty or uncertainty, does it?) I want to say something about things that are uncertain, I have to use "if". Explanation please...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:40 am
Julchen1980 wrote:
Hey, what is so bad about Cologne? It is quite nice there I think Laughing

The language, Julchen, the language. And that my wife must have joint the "Safe-the-Dativ-Union" there with an additional membership in the "Everyone-Is-Talked-About-As-Neutrum-Association" Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:38 pm
When I want to talk turkey, I talk turkey.

If I want to talk turkey, I speak with no holds barred.

When--it is going to happen.

If--the situation may or may not happen.

If you understand, I'll be delighted--but you may still be confused.

When you understand, I will be thoroughly delighted because you'll have the distinction clear forever in your mind.
0 Replies

Julchen1980

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:51 am
I guess I kind of got it now. The explanations are really very good. Thanks again! I might come back to you with new questions though... Laughing

There was actually something else I wanted to ask but I forgot... I am getting old Sad
0 Replies

Julchen1980

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The language, Julchen, the language. And that my wife must have joint the "Safe-the-Dativ-Union" there with an additional membership in the "Everyone-Is-Talked-About-As-Neutrum-Association" Laughing

Well, the language is not that bad. It is good of your wife that she is trying to safe the dative Laughing It is an important part of our language eve though noboday actually uses it a lot anymore. Too bad, probably most of the people are just to lazy to think about the usage of the dative... One day our beloved dativ will be dead... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies