US citizens please take this quiz (by tomorrow morning)

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:22 pm
no, no, littleK, that would have been tsk, tsking.

I was referring to certain chickenhearts in the land of folly...

a lot of sharp people didn't nail stuff. I think only Joe beat 50% on the questions so far. Which is reasonable, given that it hasn't been a life's work for us all to memorize things. I love how well Fbaezer did.

This all sort of reminds me of my favorite classes. Go ahead, scoff. These classes would be way-ruled-out now, because they are too humiliating for the, uh, slow. As I am slow in certain ways myself, I am now apt to agree, as time doesn't matter much except if you have time performance as part of your job - we all know it is understanding that matters, not recitation.

But, back when I was 11, I loved my 6th grade and then 7th grade classes with Sr. Mel.
I might not have the confidence I have now, the mix of weak and strong as it is, without those two years, being a fairly isolated only child in a tiny family that kept moving. And what did Sr. Mel do?

Well, generally she electrified the room. She paid attention to everybody - I don't have any memories of negative stuff, which I do from other teachers around that time, in retrospect. She set up games for learning... getting to first and second and third base and home on spelling, geography, math, whatever. Not every day, might have been on Fridays.

I know, I know, cringe. But those years were a big part of my wanting to learn about the world and those stupid games helped.

I don't remember anyone being humiliated, I think she had some care to ward against that, by force of her personality. And sometimes someone who might have been thought to be slow got to various bases.

I still remember my gradeschool classmates, in all our variety. I remember them better than most in high school. Wish I could just find out how everybody is now. No, no, I don't mean classmates .com stuff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:35 pm
I'mma chicken. quack quack quack.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:44 pm
Post to add that Sr. Mel taught at my school in Evanston, Illinois, Joe.
0 Replies