hello

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Why are you all avoiding the pickle question?

That's an easy one. Have you ever dipped anything of yours in vinegar?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Magnificent scenario.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
whaddya think the WD-40's for?
blatham

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Good grief! That's slippery stuff. One of the two of us could end up in Philadelphia.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Wait, I want to talk about buckwheat..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:15 pm
@blatham,
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:29 pm
Well, here's one for you guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D6cw8Ob2sk
Now, a little biographical detail. That drummer there, not the percussionist (who is the most accomplished percussionist working in rock) but the drummer I'm focusing on in this instance, you may recognize him. I used to cleans windows for his ex wife.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:36 pm
@blatham,
Don't get me started..
blatham

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 09:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Don't get me started..

Without getting you finished, it would be a rudeness, yes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 08:31 am
@blatham,
http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/s/7/s7smd4qaszu77smz.jpg?kj8as6ye
That would be Jill Tavelman.
Quote:
I used to cleans windows for his ex wife

That's a great euphemism for the ol' in-out in-out Bernie.
I gotta remember that one.
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 09:23 am
@panzade,
Sheesh. Always with the sex stuff.

A very sweet lady, actually. And the daughter was quite pretty if a tad snooty.
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:19 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Setanta repeatedly puts me to shame.

Yeah, he's a curse on all of us, that boy.
Quote:
you likely are a good deal better informed than me about contemporary political events and trends.

I'll say.
Quote:
The formal part [in our education] at the start is, in comparison, relatively insignificant in my experience.

Yes and no. Curiosities and habits of mind can be and ought to be stimulated early. In my case, grades 3-5 were incredibly important. My affinity for sentence construction via grammer; my interest in and respect for the scientific/empirical pursuits through the case of Madame Curie (not to mention how her example validated a family presumption that women could do anything men can do); the beginnings of my thinking about civil/human rights, institutional power, ideological rigidity, and morality from our teacher reading Les Miserable; my love of the essay form through reading Charles Lamb, etc., all this and more was cultivated in those early educational experiences and that stuff never left me even in the face of new emerging curiosities such as Jane Mansfield's tits.
panzade

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:21 am
@blatham,
Phil coughed-up 24 million ducats in the divorce so I guess she can afford a stud like you.
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:25 am
@panzade,
Oh, stop it. You're setting a high bar here and I've consistently fared better with ladies who have low standards.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:28 am
@blatham,
Anyone caught in a picture with this guy is no intellect!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/Dinner%20NYC/100_1376-1_zps61ef1c29.jpg
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am left defenseless in the face of your evidence.

What is kicky up to?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:44 am
@blatham,
You wrote with which I agree except that my curiosity probably started much later than 3-5,
Quote:

Yes and no. Curiosities and habits of mind can be and ought to be stimulated early. In my case, grades 3-5 were incredibly important. My affinity for sentence construction via grammer; my interest in and respect for the scientific/empirical pursuits through the case of Madame Curie (not to mention how her example validated a family presumption that women could do anything men can do); the beginnings of my thinking about civil/human rights, institutional power, ideological rigidity, and morality from our teacher reading Les Miserable; my love of the essay form through reading Charles Lamb, etc., all this and more was cultivated in those early educational experiences and that stuff never left me even in the face of new emerging curiosities such as Jane Mansfield's tits.

Les Miserable was one of my favorite books that we had to read in grade school.
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
That book was read to us in fourth or fifth grade (same teach, so can't recall for sure). Lucky for us in that class our teacher was that astute in book choice. I clearly recall interrupting the teach to clarify a passage he'd just read where Jean was in the sewers below Paris which didn't make sense to me - Jean could hear "the sound of rushing feet". But I'd heard it wrong and thought it was "Russian feet".

As a point of pedagogy, one clear observation we can make from your experience and mine is how effective the story form is in relaying information. Smart teachers get that and so do smart marketing/PR people which is why the anecdotal is so often forwarded rather than analytic or statistical data (often to the detriment of everybody except those who see benefit in making their audience stupider).
panzade

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
My favorite book read to us in fourth grade was Falcons Of France by the guys that wrote Mutiny On The Bounty.
It's about the Lafayette Escadrille, and the American volunteers who flew in WW I
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/103d_Aero_Squadron_-_Emblem.jpg
From it I got a life-long desire to fly a bi-plane.
Excuse me...I have to get back to my simulation game.
blatham

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 11:06 am
@panzade,
Probably more practical to fly a single wing plane twice.