What is PResident Bush doing wrong?

Zedd

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 04:53 pm
Razz I know what kerry supported are saying..."Bush did an aweful job! He should not be re-elected". I want to know...what exactly did Bush did wrong? or what exactly did Bush didn't do?

I don't mean simple answers like, "he put us in war". I mean for more specifically, what should he have done in situations like today!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,835 • Replies: 19
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:32 pm
It's apparent that Bush has rubbed many influential persons the wrong way both with his "my way or the highway" attitude--and his lack of diplomatic finesse. Too many people see him as a fool.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:36 pm
Better question: What has he done right?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:46 pm
Harper wrote:

Ummm........
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>nothing I can think of.

Welcome Harper!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:55 pm
welcome to a2K Harper - I agree with him/her - I think it would be much more fun, Zedd, if you say what exactly has he done right?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:46 pm
That would certainly be a shorter discussion! "What is President Bush doing wrong" could max out A2K's servers.
0 Replies

NorthernNeighbour

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:04 pm
Harper wrote:

The ONE thing that comes to mind - the Do Not Call Register. My Mum used to get more than 20 calls a day...now days go by without a telemarketer calling to sell everything from long distance to insurance to funeral services. Wish we had the same type of thing in Canada! Don't tell Dubya though 'cause I can even stand the sound of his voice anymore.... He doesn't deserve the honour of being your president fo another 4 years dear neighbours!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:04 am
NorthernNeighbour wrote:
Harper wrote:

The ONE thing that comes to mind - the Do Not Call Register. My Mum used to get more than 20 calls a day...now days go by without a telemarketer calling to sell everything from long distance to insurance to funeral services. Wish we had the same type of thing in Canada! Don't tell Dubya though 'cause I can even stand the sound of his voice anymore.... He doesn't deserve the honour of being your president fo another 4 years dear neighbours!

The Do Not Call Registery has so many loopholes in it I don't think it can be all that effective. For example, businesses excluded from the registry are: Banks, credit card companies, political campaigns (of course), pollsters, businesses you have had previous contact with (such as home improvement, exterminators, cemetery/funeral homes)....etc. The only calls the DNC registery prevents are 'cold calls', which, I admit, will stop some of those annoying calls to your house at the dinner hour.

Like you NN, I can't stand the sound of Bush's voice either. But, annoying as it is, it's Bush's dictorial and dangerous style of leading is why I don't want him to have four more years in the White House as a lame duck president. I fear four more years for Bush will be more catasthropic than the first four have been.
0 Replies

NorthernNeighbour

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:28 am
doglover wrote:
NorthernNeighbour wrote:
Harper wrote:

The Do Not Call Registery has so many loopholes in it I don't think it can be all that effective. For example, businesses excluded from the registry are: Banks, credit card companies, political campaigns (of course), pollsters, businesses you have had previous contact with (such as home improvement, exterminators, cemetery/funeral homes)....etc. The only calls the DNC registery prevents are 'cold calls', which, I admit, will stop some of those annoying calls to your house at the dinner hour.

Like you NN, I can't stand the sound of Bush's voice either. But, annoying as it is, it's Bush's dictorial and dangerous style of leading is why I don't want him to have four more years in the White House as a lame duck president. I fear four more years for Bush will be more catasthropic than the first four have been.

Mornin' DL,
Of course, not living here full-time I couldn't understand the full effect of the law. I just know that when we first got our little pied a terre in the sun, the phone was rininging off the hook. It was ridiculous...I mean to be afraid to pick up the phone because you're never at peace! Didn't know it also excludes those with whom you have established contact. That part doesn't seem to make sense.

Re Dubya...unless that percentage that is still supporting him live in caves with no access to news media - print, radio, internet or television, I don't see how they can. I don't particularly like John Kerry either (he supported the war intially too), but the idea of giving that man another 4 years just boggles my mind.

Have a great day! Very Happy
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:54 am
Good morning to you too Northern. Cool

Unfortunately there are still many of our citizens who choose to wear blinders when it comes to George Bush. Then there are the big business guys who want to keep Bush in office because he looks out for their interests and portfolios.

I think that as the summer progresses and the Bush administration continues to fall on it's sword more and more average Americans will wake up and see Bush for what he is...a deceptive, inept and immoral leader who does not have his nations best interests at heart. I think Kerry will be elected in November unless the election results are skewered by Bush with the help of the courts as happened in 2000.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 04:18 pm
Re: What is PResident Bush doing wrong?
Zedd wrote:
Razz I know what kerry supported are saying..."Bush did an aweful job! He should not be re-elected". I want to know...what exactly did Bush did wrong? or what exactly did Bush didn't do?

I don't mean simple answers like, "he put us in war". I mean for more specifically, what should he have done in situations like today!

No matter what the Bush administration does, the left-wingers will say it's wrong. And since A2K seems to be pretty much leftie territory, you will get non-specific answers like "what did he do right?" instead of real dialog. Sometimes they will think for a moment and come up with something like the USA PATRIOT Act or the opposition to gay marriage, forgetting that both issues have broad bipartisan support in Congress.

I think our President is a moral and courageous man who has provided great leadership for our country at a time when it was badly needed. If the President is doing anything wrong at all, I think it's failing to make a case for how well he's running the country, in the face of the nonsense continuously spouted by John Kerry. And I also think this topic belongs in the "Politics" forum. Very Happy

Speaking of Kerry, it's funny that he's blasting the President for not tapping into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower gasoline prices, but when gas prices went up in 2000, Kerry said opening the strategic reserve would be ineffective. Just like his military medals, John Kerry is once again on both sides of the fence.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:01 pm
I hate Bush as much as anyone, but there are a few things that he has done right.

- His plan to offer guest-worker visas to Mexican immigrants.
- His fairly quick, clear condemnation of the prinsoner abuse in Iraq ("This does not represent America").
- His actions the two weeks after the 9/11 attack which included reaching out to Arab-American leaders.
- Not tapping into the Stregic Petroleum Reserve.
- I am sure there are a couple other examples I will think of with a bit more time.

There now, I guess I am not the leftie I feared...

I still think Bush's administration has been disasterous for the nation, but no one can be all wrong.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:05 pm
Also Tarantulus, (I think we can agree with this).

Kerry (to my dismay) has absolutely nothing to do with this election. He is a placeholder. Nearly everyone voting will either vote for Bush or against Bush.

But that is for another thread. Your comments about Kerry were a bit out of place.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:07 pm
Bush has done nothing that is what he has done wrong. He allows his subordinates to run government.

Most presidents are more involved and I suspect that is why they take responsibility for their actions. With Bush he does what he is told therefore he is confident in his ability to deny responsibility.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:15 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I hate Bush as much as anyone, but there are a few things that he has done right.

- His plan to offer guest-worker visas to Mexican immigrants.
- His fairly quick, clear condemnation of the prinsoner abuse in Iraq ("This does not represent America").
- His actions the two weeks after the 9/11 attack which included reaching out to Arab-American leaders.
- Not tapping into the Stregic Petroleum Reserve.
- I am sure there are a couple other examples I will think of with a bit more time.

There now, I guess I am not the leftie I feared...

I still think Bush's administration has been disasterous for the nation, but no one can be all wrong.

You're right, ebrown. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:20 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Also Tarantulus, (I think we can agree with this).

Kerry (to my dismay) has absolutely nothing to do with this election. He is a placeholder. Nearly everyone voting will either vote for Bush or against Bush.

But that is for another thread. Your comments about Kerry were a bit out of place.

Yes, John Kerry is running on the "I'm not George Bush" platform. I think it's a very sad situation when people would consider voting for an empty suit like him. But then I didn't understand how people could vote for Algore either. And I think any discussion of one candidate opens the door for discussion of his opponent.

JoanneDorel wrote:
Bush has done nothing that is what he has done wrong. He allows his subordinates to run government.

Most presidents are more involved and I suspect that is why they take responsibility for their actions. With Bush he does what he is told therefore he is confident in his ability to deny responsibility.

The old proverb says "Why keep a dog and bark yourself?" The mark of a good leader is not micromanaging the people who work for you. You get the best people you can find and you let them do their jobs. They come to you for the major decisions and you make them. You set the policy and keep control of your people and everyone works together.

I haven't seen much discussion yet of what he has actually done wrong.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:16 am
Re: What is PResident Bush doing wrong?
Tarantulas wrote:

No matter what the Bush administration does, the left-wingers will say it's wrong.

You always use superlatives and that never fails to make your statements the most sweeping generalizations possible in the English language.

Irony intended.

Quote:
And since A2K seems to be pretty much leftie territory, you will get non-specific answers like "what did he do right?" instead of real dialog.

Nah, you can get real dialogue too. But like most people actually focus on carping the brainfarts, it's kinda like cherry picking in a discussion.

Quote:
Sometimes they will think for a moment and come up with something like the USA PATRIOT Act or the opposition to gay marriage, forgetting that both issues have broad bipartisan support in Congress.

Some people equivocate and try to dismiss named wrongs merely on the basis of company.
0 Replies

NorthernNeighbour

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 12:22 am
doglover wrote:
Good morning to you too Northern. Cool

Unfortunately there are still many of our citizens who choose to wear blinders when it comes to George Bush. Then there are the big business guys who want to keep Bush in office because he looks out for their interests and portfolios.

I think that as the summer progresses and the Bush administration continues to fall on it's sword more and more average Americans will wake up and see Bush for what he is...a deceptive, inept and immoral leader who does not have his nations best interests at heart. I think Kerry will be elected in November unless the election results are skewered by Bush with the help of the courts as happened in 2000.

Back at'cha DL,
Yesterday someone said to me that the Markets want Bush again because of stability. I don't understand...does this mean that any prez should get 8 years in office, whether he's good or bad because the Markets like stability. To my mind the market, since the war began has been anything but stable...and then every time something horrible happens it tanks again. People are too skittish, even afraid to leave their money in the Market overnight for fear something terrible happens somewhere in the world and they'll take a beating. I just don't get it.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 03:09 pm
Thanks everyone for your inputs...

Now for my original question, I was wondering what exactly Bush didn't do in his current situation.

Let me tell you one simple fact: I think the major problem is that Bush gets really hang up on the things he does and does not really consider other aspects of the situation.

Take Iraq for example, he invaded Iraq, took over their government, captured some people, and now wants to spend more millions of dollars putting down dissenters. Couldn't Bush have used this money more usefully in the situation?

Doesn't anyone see? BUsh should spend the money building schools, setting up a standard of education. Why? Because the chance of making an adult Iraqis accept US as its friend would be much more harder than making its children. These children will become the future and the next generation...if the US wants anything done, he should depend upon the children to bring peace.
0 Replies