Cost of pet Rat

OJW11

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:06 pm
Okay! My Dad may let me get a RAT! Haha!
BUT!
How much would everything cost!? Not annually, I mean when I first buy everything.
•Rat (2)
•Cage
•Toys
•Rat chow
•Litter
• Huts
• Litter box
•ect.
I will do the reaserch myself, but I want to hear what a Rat owner spent, and what they bought.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@OJW11,
I've no idea, but why is there a # 2 after the Rat? One is probably much better.

Also, I'm not at all sure rats use litter boxes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@OJW11,
OK, now it's time to use your computer and check pet supply companies and consult a veterinarian to see what you need to responsibly care for a living creature.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:51 pm
@glitterbag,
One rat, I told you one rat.....and I don't think a rat can be trained to use a litter box. Crap.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Folks, this girl is eleven. I know, people can be smart at eleven, but in my view, she should learn early to deal with her parents at least at this level of questioning.

Also, the starter age here is 13.
I assume the mods don't shut her down as one can't know that she is actually eleven, but if she isn't, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:59 pm
@OJW11,
You'd have to price the cage yourself, based on where you live but do google, as some cages sold aren't actually suitable at all for Rats and can be dangerous.

They do have a littler tray Smile

Apparently they are very playful, go figure. So, don't purchase small bowls for their food and water, they will tip them over. Get feeding "bottles" that attach to the cage.

Rats also like fresh veg and fruit, sunflower seeds but they need all the nutrition so add veg and fruit..

Toys? Don't know though I've seen many a mice show that shows wheels that they can run up and down.

The main expenditure is going to be the cage and set up, they like to be warm and nest as well, I've "read" that newspaper is ok and obviously cheaper, I read also not to purchase a pine or cedar cage, it's toxic.

With the litter tray make it big enough for them to get into but not too large it can be anything you want and ensure you empty it daily or else they won't use it and therefore, you'll be cleaning up a full cage every day of your life bahahaha wouldn't that be horrible?

You know there is a huge responsibility with any pet you own so do your research .

Food won't be expensive at all.. Start with the cage and feeding bottles, the rest will be cheap, ie) veg/fruit/newspaper/small plastic dish for the litter and litter..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:02 pm
@OJW11,
You have to price things locally as each of us posting would find different costs based on where we live.

http://www.petco.com/assets/caresheets/smallanimals/Rat.pdf

if you have a petco or pet valu or petsmart near you - check the online flyers to start putting together your initial cost list
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:05 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
and I don't think a rat can be trained to use a litter box. Crap.

Was there a pun intended there? Smile

Actually I do believe that they can, you can train any animal, should have seen my pet rabbit, use the kitty litter the first day I bought her home, after watching my cat, let alone how she slept on my bed and watched TV with me on the lounge Smile
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:22 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Embarrassed
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Aweeee (hugs) I thought you were taking the micky out of well the micey: )
0 Replies

OJW11

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:10 pm
Thank you
0 Replies