How does this sentence sound to you?

imsak

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:03 am
- I walked at one sitting for no less than 3 hours from my house to her house yesterday.

Just made it out of imaginations. Is it easy to be understandable and sound? Can 'at one sitting' be used this way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,409 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:55 am
@imsak,
There's no reason for "at one sitting".

Do you perhaps mean to say,

I walked, without once sitting, for no less than 3 hours from my house to her house yesterday.

OR

I walked, sitting only once, for no less than 3 hours from my house to her house yesterday.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:01 am
@imsak,
JTT is right of course as usu. However it would help Imsak if you could define "at one sitting"
JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:11 am
@dalehileman,
Feel free to go right ahead, Dale.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:39 am
We generally only talk about "one sitting" in connection with activities that are performed while sitting, for fairly obvious reasons. Most often it is used about eating and drinking: I once ate three dozen oysters in one sitting; My mother once drank a bottle of gin in one sitting. Nobody that I have ever heard of sits while they are walking.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:46 am
@imsak,
This will be based on one idea.
Quote:
I walked for no less than 3 hours from my house to her house yesterday.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:47 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Nobody that I have ever heard of sits while they are walking.
Con my very reaction
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:09 pm
@dalehileman,
Or,
Quote:
After sitting for no less than 3 hours, I walked from my house to her house yesterday.
0 Replies

imsak

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:28 pm
Is it 'in one sitting' or 'at one sitting'? Can it be used interchangably?

I came across this phrase somewhere before and looked up for the meaning in some dictionary and it tell :

if you do something at one sitting, you do it during one period of time without stopping; during a short period of time; all at once; in one go; in one gulp; in one breath; without stopping; without pausing; without resting; on end;

So I maybe mistakenly took it for granted that it might be able to be used in every situations. Now with all your explanations I am aware that it should be used only for the situation that we are doing things while sitting. Am I right?

Thank you to everyone.
JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:04 pm
@imsak,
So what did you actually mean to say, Imsak?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 10:19 am
@imsak,
Im, see JTT immediately above
0 Replies

imsak

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 08:09 pm
@JTT,
Maybe, with my poor English, I often failed to impart what I really want to say.

There is not much to it, i just want to tell that I misunderstood to the use of the phrase, but now all replys have made me more understanding.
roger

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 08:48 pm
@imsak,
Your meaning is clear. You walked 30 minutes without stopping. Say you did it without stopping instead of at one sitting. It just makes better sense.
0 Replies