Are we only particles, and can we exist multiple times?

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 07:33 am
I just read an interesting article, heres the link if you want to read it. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/12/02/why-life-does-not-really-exist/
I'm not saying its correct, but I think its an interesting way to look at how we define life. If you don't want to read it, essentially the author believes that "life" doesn't exist in the sense that we are all collections of atoms and particles, with no separation between us and everything else except the more advanced behavior we exhibit. A quote should give the idea, "there is no threshold at which a collection of atoms suddenly becomes alive, no categorical distinction between the living and inanimate, no Frankensteinian spark." Anyway, suppose that we are simply the collection of atoms, nothing more. One, would it make sense that if a brain was rebuilt to who you are now, you would "live again," except of course in this case it wouldn't be "live again," it would be, "become conscious again," and two, if you did not exist before your sperm, and after the sperm was created you were created, wouldn't it make sense that when you die, you no longer exist, and therefore COULD be "cycled" back into consciousness? I don't mean that spiritually, I mean it in the sense of how this universe works. It did create you, if "you" didn't exist before the sperm that became you came to be, and so couldn't it be possible to be "subjectively" created again? You will be another person, but subjectively, you will experience it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,469 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:56 pm
@slayerpianoman,
That article appears to be written by a reductionist/materialist. Read up on Maturna's work on autopoiesis and the Santiago Theory of Cognition for an alternative view. Note too that recently "particles" have themselves become candidates for "dubious status" in physics.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 08:08 pm
@slayerpianoman,
yep, you get to live eternally, as everything, again and again and forever.
Just wait until you next exist as me, it'll become clear. You'll even type these very words in response to the 'currently' inquisitive you.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 01:31 pm
@slayerpianoman,
Quote:
"there is no threshold at which a collection of atoms suddenly becomes alive, no categorical distinction between the living and inanimate, no Frankensteinian spark."
That's according to the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else

Quote:
One, would it make sense that if a brain was rebuilt to who you are now, you would "live again,"
…revisiting a math q about which I'd long wondered. That is, if the Universe is infinite or persists forever in one form or another, then according to the laws of chance (?) anything that can happen, will happen. So not only should there be another you and me at this moment but in fact wouldn't there be an infinite number of each
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 01:35 pm
Are we only particles, and can we exist multiple times?

yes, and sure, as particles
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 05:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale. You are so close, and maybe one of the reasons I still venture here.
ps, if you live in the US, get out NOW!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:36 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
You are so close
Why, thank you Mark, it's not everyday…..

Exactly, though, what is it that I'm closer to
mark noble

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 09:57 am
@dalehileman,
fulfilment
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:10 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
fulfilment
Not sure I agree Mark but nonetheless flattered
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:09 pm
@dalehileman,
It was a generic gesture, Dale. You are as close to fulfilment as is anyone else.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 10:49 am
@slayerpianoman,
The author of that idea almost get it.

He is on the right path. Still, the cause for the process is missing, but I think he will also get it as well.
0 Replies