Grab whom you must

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:12 am
context:
The rules governing the secret operation were "Grab whom you must. Do what you want," according to a former intelligence official whom Seymour M. Hersh quotes anonymously in "The Gray Zone."

==================================
What I got is:

Grab whom you must = you must grab whom

But the reporter has emphasized "grab" in his way.

Am I on the right track?

==================================

“a very great, almost anonymous center of people who just want peace”(Alan Paton)

Didn't get what is "people's center".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 449 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Eos

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:28 pm
No. The writer has left out parts that he/she feels will be supplied in the mind of the reader. What a fluent English speaker understands when reading this is "Grab whom(ever you feel that) you must (grab)." - ie, if you feel that you must grab someone, do so.

The quote used to help the definition of 'anonymous' is not complete enough to tell us which organization or center Paton is referring to. We only get that it is an organization of people working for peace which is not prominently known.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:45 am
Hmm, I think I've almost got the first qu exactly in my mind. I just failed to exactly express what I thought in my mind. Very Happy

Thanks.
0 Replies