Buttermilk

Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:34 pm
@Baldimo,
This isn't a race issue? I wonder....
Baldimo

Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:39 pm
@Buttermilk,
No it is not. This is a matter of legal vs illegal immigration. I feel the same way about people who are from "white countries". If they are here illegally and without permission, then they should go home.
coldjoint

Wed 2 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party)

Sounds like an English Tea Party, and that is a good thing.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 04:53 am
@coldjoint,
This is an English Tea Party.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/LisaJaworski/TeaParty-attendes2x.jpg

It is a lot more civil than the American version.
Buttermilk

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:52 am
@Baldimo,
Apparently you don't live on the west coast. Gentrification is real, and so is "white flight" cause California is getting "too Mexican."
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:43 am
@Buttermilk,
Hasn't California always been too Mexican?
coldjoint

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:11 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This is an English Tea Party.

This is a useless president.
Quote:
Obama Refuses To Visit Border While He’s In Texas For Dem Fundraiser…

http://weaselzippers.us/192066-obama-refuses-to-visit-border-while-hes-in-texas-for-dem-fundraiser/
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:24 am
@Buttermilk,
What are you talking about?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:45 am
@maxdancona,
No; never. Mexicans are hard workers, and this state needs all the hard workers we can attract.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Come on Cicerone. It has gotten to the point where people use Spanish names for things. There is even a city down there called Los Angeles and a mountain range called Sierra Nevada. If that isn't a sign of California being too Mexican, I don't know what is.

How did they ever let things reach this point in California?

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Because the US and Mexico fought over California as their territory, and Junipero Serra, a Spanish Franciscan, built churches all along the western coast from Baja California into Northern California, when many people spoke Spanish.

From Wiki.
Quote:
California under Mexican rule (1821–1846)
Substantial changes occurred during the second quarter of the 19th century. The victory in Mexican War of Independence from Spain in 1821 marked the end of a European power ruling California; the missions faded in importance under Mexican control while ranching and trade increased. By the mid-1840s, the increased presence of Americans made the northern part of Alta California diverge from the southern part, where the Spanish-speaking "Californios" dominated.

By 1846, Alta California had a Spanish-speaking population of under 10,000, tiny even compared to the sparse population of states in the rest of northern Mexico. The "Californios", as they were known, consisted of about 800 families, mostly concentrated on large ranchos. About 1,300 American citizens and a very mixed group of about 500 Europeans, scattered mostly from Monterey to Sacramento dominated trading as the Californios dominated ranching. In terms of adult males, the two groups were about equal, but the American citizens were more recent arrivals.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You do understand that I am only using irony to rebut Buttermilk's claim that California is now "becoming too Mexican", right? I thought that claim was rather humorous, so I wanted to have a little fun with it.

roger

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Because of the quotation marks, if nothing else, I don't think Buttermilk was at all claiming that California was becoming too Mexican. Rather, he was ascribing that belief to some who are leaving California.

Buttermilk and I are often in less than complete agreement, but if I were going to argue, I would prefer to argue what he actually meant.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:21 pm
@roger,
Either way, the idea of California becoming too Mexican strikes me as funny. I am wondering where we should send these people... maybe Montana?

roger

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Great idea! I wonder why they call the state Montana.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:32 pm
@roger,
Damn! Are you thinking Vermont? Although I am not sure these people will fit into the New England mindset too well....

... then again Vermont is one of the Whitest states in the Union, and that is really what we are talking about here isn't it.
Baldimo

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:38 pm
@maxdancona,
It's what you are talking about. Only the left terms illegal immigration as a racist issue. Maybe if you were honest and talked about legal vs illegal immigration, we could have an honest debate.
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:44 pm
@Baldimo,
That isn't true, Baldimo. Once you start using terms like "invasion" and trying to ban Spanish, it is clear that racism is a big part of it.

Look at the people yelling at busloads of children... these anti-immigrant idiots are screaming for the law to be broken.

Baldimo

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:47 pm
@maxdancona,
I haven't used those terms, and I'm not going to defend what others have said. When we debate, wouldn't it be a better idea to make me defend my own comments and not those said by other people?

You mean the bus loads of children who have entered our country illegally? Those bus loads of children?
maxdancona

Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:49 pm
@Baldimo,
The border patrol is trying to follow the law. The idiots blocking the bus are screaming for the law to be broken (as they are yelling insults at children). Any claim that they want the law to be enforced is clearly false.

They are trying to stop what they see as an invasion from brown-skinned people. They admit to this.