Osteoporosis treatment--Forteo

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:37 pm
To patients who are currently taking the daily injections of Forteo, are you experiencing any side effects? If so, which ones and is it a mild reaction or more severe?

Do the side effects diminish as one's body gets adjusted to being on the treatment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,297 • Replies: 23
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:27 am
Why do you ask, do you take it?
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:07 pm
Yes, I do take Forteo and tomorrow will be my 14th injection. I seem to be experiencing sort of a low level of energy but not to a great extent.

Carol Kilduff
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:26 pm
Ah, sorry, Carol, I asked in sort of a quiet snotty way in case you were a promoter - sometimes we get spam here. I'm interested in how it goes, and probably others here are too.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:49 pm
No offense taken, Ossobuco. Are you take Forteo, or are you just interested in it?

Carol Kilduff
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:55 pm
I'm just interested. I took hormones for quite a while and when last tested had average-bone density for my age. But... I have cut out the hormones, actually prior to all the recent bruhaha, and probably need to check out my status again. My near-my-age cousin, on the other hand, has low density and is quite annoyed as she has taken calcium for years and done weight bearing exercise in a more routine way than me, who does a lot for a while and then lolls about. I drink scads of milk and eat my spinach, and she doesn't, but somehow I doubt that is the difference.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:36 am
I have no experience with Forteo.

My family curse is a genetic bone weakness. Every so often, I'm plagued by spontaneous fractures which take 18 months to heal.

Last month the family curse fractured my hip. I've been taking my Miacalcin by injection and the break seems to be healing on a much pleasanter timetable.

I don't have x-ray proof of progress, but I have decreasing pain and my toe nails on the afflicted side are growing--which happens only when the leg is healing.

Why are you taking Forteo?
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:07 pm
I am taking Forteo because I have osteoporosis and have been treated for it since 1989. My dexa scan test in March 2003, showed an 11% improvement in bone density from March 2002 to March 2003. I'm no longer on hormones but I was on them for about ten years and I was taking Fosamax prior to going on Forteo on 5/3/04. I'm very regular about exercise and I faithfully drink 24 oz. of skim milk every day. Besides that I eat spinach, broccoli, and am pretty good about eating veggies but there is room for improvement in that area. Studies show that Forteo builds bone density.
So for two years I'm off the Fosamaz & on Forteo.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:21 pm
Good luck.

Believe me, I know--microscopic fine tuning of a faulty body is tricky.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:18 pm
To: Noddy 24
You said that you were taking Miacalcin by injection. I'm not familiar with that. Is it a form of calcium? And do you do the injections yourself?
Just interested,
Carol
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 06:00 am
Miacalcin is used to build bone density.

http://www.miacalcin.com/info/howWorks/index.jsp

I used to take it in a nasal spray, but this spring I had a series of stress fractures and my Internist thought perhaps injecting the stuff would speed healing.

After a few days of injections, I had a spontaneous fracture of my left hip--probably coincidence. The fracture actually seems to be healing in a reasonable time. In the past my broken bones have taken 18 months to heal.

Yes, I do the injections myself.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:57 pm
To: Noddy24
Thanks for your response, Noddy24. I'm glad to hear that the fracture seems to be healing in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't had a broken bone for some time. But I know what it is like waiting for one to heal. I broke my left wrist twice and my left knee cap once. I also have either 4 or 5 compressed fractures in my spine. So far, thank God, I would say that the discomfort in the spine area has been minimal. Very damp days are not good and I try to be very careful about what I lift---a lesson I learned the hard way.
In fact, lifting a very heavy box is what brought my "silent" disease out in the open. I fractured two or three vertebrae at that time. Take care, Carol....who tried to be careful!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:09 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Carol. My family fractures legs and hips. My aunt broke her shoulder once, but she wouldn't have done that had she not landed on it when her leg gave way.

I shatter--but it sounds as though you crumble. This must be maddening.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:44 pm
Well, Noddy, I hope and pray that the Miacalcin injections will do the trick for you.
The thought has come to me that if I could "visit" my childhood days again I would drink a gallon of milk each day.
Hang in there and best of luck to you,
Carol
0 Replies

lanesharon

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 11:39 am
I am a new member, so forgive me if I was supposed to introduce myself first. I have had osteoporosis for several years also. I tried Fosamax and Actonel, but both of them destroyed the lining of my intestines. I was off of everything for a while and my counts got worse.

My oncologist (I am a cancer survivor) recommended that I try Aredia infusions. I had my first 3 months ago and I am going for my second this coming week. The first infusion left me in really great shape the first week, but in the second week I had flu like symptoms. It wasn't too bad. I was told that the researchers are coming out with a new infusion that will only have to be done once a year. The good thing about Aredia is that it rebuilds bone mass.

I will let you all know how I do with it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 12:47 pm
lanesharon--

Welcome to A2K--and do keep us posted.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:01 pm
lanesharon

Thanks for sharing what you are doing for your osteoporosis. I never heard of Aredia infusions nor am I familiar with the infusion that one would take only once a year.
I think it's a good sign that more treatments seem to be coming available.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Carol Kilduff
0 Replies

lanesharon

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 09:28 pm
There are varying degrees of medicines used for osteoporosis. I can not post a link here, so I will try to sum it up, to the best of my ability. There are medicines that strengthen bones. Over time, they make them stronger and less able to fracture. These include Forsteo, Evista, etc.. Calcitonin products also strengthen the bones, but they do it in a different way. Bisphosphonates, on the other hand, not only strengthen bone, but it is believed that they promote the formation of osteoblasts. Osteoblasts help to build new bone. This is all still relatively new in research, so, no guarantees. But if it does the trick, I will be the first one screaming it from the mountain top.

I am a rare breast cancer survivor. My cancer is slow growing, dormant, and hard to detect. So, I think my oncologist is also trying to give me an extra insurance policy for the possiblility of damage from bone mets.
0 Replies

ckilduff

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:30 pm
To: lanesharon
I was on Fosamax which slows the process of bone breakdown. Bone breaking down is a normal process just as dead skin cells rubbing off when we wash our hands. However, in the osteoporosis patient it's out of wack because the bone build up process is not taking place as it should or as it did when we were younger. Since May 3, 2004 I am taking a daily injection of Forteo. The injections don't bother me, and in the very beginning it seemed as though I felt rather sluggish. But that side effect (unless it was my imagination) seems to be going away. I know I was a little uptight about going on it because it is rather new and I was concerned about how I would be effected by the side effects. It's recommended that one stays with the treatment no longer than two years. I do hope it will make a significant difference. That will be good news, indeed.
Take care,
Carol Kilduff
0 Replies

lanesharon

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:43 pm
I hope it works for you too Carol. I could not afford the injectibles. I have no drug coverage under my insurance. I live near the Mexican border and tried over there also. It was just too expensive for me on my limited income.

My Aredia infusions are covered by my insurance. I am not sure if that is because I am also a rare breast cancer survivor. BC survivors are more prone to osteoporosis as a long term side effect of the cancer treatments. I don't know if my insurance would cover it otherwise. I did research on Aredia, and found that it was equal to the oral biphosphonates in improvement of BMD.

Some medicinals that seem to be in the works:
parathyroid hormone in combination with HRT (this leaves me out because of my BC)
cysteine protease - cathepsin K
DHEA in combination with other proven medicines

There are also several ongoing clinical trials trying various combinations of drugs that are already being marketed for osteoporosis.

Let me know Carol, how you make out with your bone mass. I am due for another dexa in January and I am praying that the infusions are helping. I have already had the top portion of my cervical spine replaced with surgery and it was rougher than my cancer treatments. I need to stave off any more fractures.
0 Replies