The Seeds of a Rights Scandal in Iraq - J. Carter

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:44 pm
The Seeds Of a Rights Scandal In Iraq

By Jimmy Carter
Friday, May 14, 2004; Page A25

To ensure that additional human rights embarrassments will not befall the United States, we must examine well-known, high-level and broad-based U.S. policies that have lowered our nation's commitment to basic human rights.

Immediately after Sept. 11, 2001, many traumatized and fearful U.S. citizens accepted Washington's new approach with confidence that our leaders would continue to honor international agreements and human rights standards.

But in many nations, defenders of human rights were the first to feel the consequences of these changes, and international humanitarian organizations began expressing deep concern to each other and to high-level U.S. military and government officials about the adverse impact of the new American policies, and to promulgate reports of actual abuses.

Some of their recommendations were quite specific, calling for vigilant independent monitoring of U.S. detention facilities and strict enforcement of Geneva Convention guidelines. Others were more general, describing the impact of these policies on defenders of freedom and human rights around the world. These expressions of concern have been mostly ignored until recently, when photographs of prisoner abuse let Americans finally see some of the consequences of our government's policies in graphic, human terms.

Some prominent concerns were:

• Extended incarceration of arbitrarily detained men of Middle Eastern origin living in the United States -- deprived of access to lawyers or to their families, and never charged with a crime.

• Civilians and soldiers arbitrarily detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, without access to legal counsel or being charged with any crime. The secretary of defense announced that they could be held indefinitely even if tried and found to be innocent.

• The secretary of defense's declaration, expressing official policy, that Geneva Convention restraints would not apply to interrogation of prisoners suspected of involvement in terrorist activities.

• Persistent complaints from the International Committee of the Red Cross about prisoner abuse in several U.S. prisons in foreign countries.

• Reports by respected news media outlets that some accused terrorists were being sent to Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia or other countries where torture was thought to be acceptable as a means of extracting information.

These American decisions had an immediate global impact. In response to urgent requests from human rights defenders from many countries, the late Sergio Vieira de Mello, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, and I agreed that it would be helpful to hear directly from a representative group. After the high commissioner's tragic death in Iraq last August, U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan appointed Bertrand Ramcharan to serve as my co-chair, and in November 2003 the Carter Center brought together leaders of human rights and democracy movements from 41 nations.

We learned from these nonviolent activists that U.S. policies are giving license to abusive governments and even established democracies to stamp out legitimate dissent and reverse decades of progress toward freedom, with many leaders retreating from previous human rights commitments. Lawyers, professors, doctors and journalists told of being labeled as terrorists, often for merely criticizing a government policy or carrying out their daily work. Equally disturbing are reports that in some countries the U.S. government has pushed regressive counterterrorism laws, based on the USA Patriot Act, that undermine democratic principles and the rule of law. Some American policies are being challenged by Congress and the federal courts, but the reversal of such troubling policies is unlikely in countries where legislative and judicial checks and balances are not well developed.

We decided to share the disturbing findings with the media and public officials. In addition to a one-hour roundtable discussion on CNN, participants from Human Rights Watch, Human Rights First (formerly the Lawyers Committee for Human Rights), the Carter Center, and defenders from Egypt, Kenya and Liberia went to Washington and met with Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul D. Wolfowitz; the undersecretary of state for global affairs, Paula Dobriansky; and legislative leaders. The group also participated in a forum at the Center for Strategic and International Studies and met with editors of the New York Times and The Post.

In each case, the adverse impact of new U.S. policies on the protection of freedom and human rights was described with specific proof and human experiences. These officials listened attentively and promised to consider ways to alleviate the problem. As subsequent events have revealed, there were no significant reforms at the highest levels of our government.

In many countries, the leaders of human rights and democracy movements represent our best hope for a safer and more just world in which fewer people will succumb to extremism fueled by hatred and fear. These human rights defenders on the front lines of freedom are our real allies, and the United States must make long-term commitments to support -- not undermine -- them.

In the interests of security and freedom, basic reforms are needed in the United States and elsewhere, including restrictions on governments' excessive surveillance powers; reassertion of the public's right to information; judicial and legislative review of detentions and other executive functions; and strict compliance with international standards of law and justice.

The United States must regain its status as the champion of freedom and human rights.

Former president Carter is chairman of the Carter Center in Atlanta. The center's current report on human rights defenders is available at www.cartercenter.org.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,429 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:05 pm
Jimmy Carter = tired, irrelevant hyper-liberal. I thought it was cool to have a President who also had been part of the Navy Nuclear Power Program. But when he decided to keep our Olympic athletes from competing in the Olympics one year as a protest against something or other, I began to actively dislike him. He had the gall to actually bring some of the hopeful athletes to Washington and have them standing around him when he made the announcement. Then he looked each one of them up and down as if daring them to make a negative comment. Nowadays he's nothing more than a joke.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:08 pm
The "something or other" was the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. An obscure corner of the world that shows up in the news periodically.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:43 pm
!
Right Wing Zealots don't believe in rights, human or otherwise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:21 pm
Jimmy Carter, as an ex president, has done more good in the world than GW Bush could accomplish in twenty lifetimes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:38 pm
Some people will never understand the damage this administration has done to destroy human rights and security in this world; they still think might makes right. They couldn't be more wrong. Jimmy Carter has done more good in this world in one day, nay one hour, than GWBush will do in his whole life time. For all his talk about compassion, GWBush doesn't understand anything about human sensitivity or the value of one life. Compassion usually goes with humble; I've never seen any of it from GWBush. All I've observed are alot of smirk.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Jimmy Carter, as an ex president, has done more good in the world than GW Bush could accomplish in twenty lifetimes.

Hee hee!! Wrong answer...

Quote:
The Worst Ex-President

By Jamie Glazov
FrontPageMagazine.com | May 6, 2004

Frontpage Interview's guest today is Steven Hayward, the F. K. Weyerhaeuser Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and Senior Fellow at the Pacific Research Institute. He is the author of the new book The Real Jimmy Carter: How Our Worst Ex-President Undermines American Foreign Policy, Coddles Dictators and Created the Party of Clinton and Kerry.

FP: Welcome to Frontpage Interview, Mr. Hayward. It is a pleasure to have you with us.

Hayward: Always fun to be on the Frontpage!

FP: Why, after all this time, should we be taking another look at Jimmy Carter?

Hayward: FP: Are we witnessing the decline of the Democratic Party?

Hayward: Yes I think so. The Democratic Party has been in long-term decline since it lost its nerve in the mid-1960s and began caving in by degrees to its far left wing. People today forget, for example, that its most prominent liberals in the early 1970s like Hubert Humphrey, Edmund Muskie, and even Tip O'Neill, all expressed strong opposition to abortion on demand, yet today no Democrat dares voice any deviation from the radical feminist line. Carter was initially thought in 1976 to be a bulwark against this leftist slide--he had, after all, opposed McGovern in 1972--but he proved to be a vessel that ratified rather than resisted the Democrats' slide further to the left.

FP: What made you decide to write about Carter?

Hayward: I got sick and tired of hearing people describe Carter as "our finest ex-President." The same statecraft that generated his ruinous presidency has informed his post-presidential politics. If he had just stuck with building homes with Habitat for Humanity, he might deserve the accolade as our best ex-president. But he doesn't.

FP: Why don't we start with Carter's general record. Give us a brief laundry list of his failures.

Hayward: He was a disaster on the economy, blaming high inflation, for example, on the character of the American people. But by far his worst failing was in foreign policy. His human rights policy led to human rights disasters in Iran and Nicaragua, and emboldened the Soviet Union to extend its reach further into the third world. The fruits of the Iran disaster are still very much with us today. The fall of Iran set in motion the advance of radical Islam and the rise of terrorism that culminated in September 11. If we had stuck by the Shah or his successors, the history of the last 25 years in the Middle East would have been very different (and the Iranian people would have been better off, too). For starters, the Soviet Union would have hesitated greatly over invading Afghanistan in 1979.

FP: Yes, Carter facilitated the coming to power of Marxists in Nicaragua and Islamist despots in Iran, Both of the new tyrannies by far surpassed the brutality of their predecessors. Meanwhile, by letting the Soviets know he wouldn't lift a finger if they invaded Afghanistan, Carter spawned a war that ultimately saw one million dead Afghans, five million displaced, and a situation of evil that nurtured the Islamic hatred and militancy that ultimately turned on the West and gave us 9/11. How is it that a man who fertilized the soil in which so much evil grew remains completely unchastened?

Hayward: Carter is clearly intelligent in the SAT-score sense of the word, but he seems utterly incapable of learning anything from experience. Even Neville Chamberlain, the arch-appeaser of England in the 1930s, eventually came around about the Nazis, but Carter and liberals like him can't be shaken from their sentimental view of the world, even by something as stark as 9/11.

FP: So what do you think it is in Carter's personality and ideology that engendered his disastrous record?

Hayward: FP: When you point out that Carter and other liberals like Kerry should have learned from history by now, a serious question comes to mind. Do you think these disastrous Democratic Party leaders such as Carter and Clinton are just plain stupid and naïve? Or is there actually an inner desire to harm and hurt their own country and society? Surely it can't be a complete coincidence in terms of how much damage they actually do. Is there a malicious agenda in the heart of these individuals toward America? Some kind of inner self-hate?

Hayward:FP: Tell us what you think of Carter winning the Nobel Prize.

Hayward: Carter panted after the Nobe Peace Prize for years, seeing it as a means of gaining official redemption for his humiliation at the hands of the voters in 1980. He lobbied quietly behind the scenes for years to get the prize, and finally met with success in 2002 when the left-wing Nobel Prize committee saw an opportunity to use Carter as a way of attacking President Bush and embarrassing the United States. The head of the Nobel Prize committee openly admitted that this was their motivation in selecting Carter. Any other ex-president would have refused to be a part of such an obvious anti-American intrigue, but not Jimmy. Here we should observe that Carter conceives himself much more as a citizen of the world than as a citizen of the United States, and I think it is highly revealing that Carter is most popular overseas in those nations that hate America the most, such as Syria, where they lined the streets cheering for Carter when he visited.

FP: Yes, we had Syrians cheering for Carter and now our Islamist enemies are rooting for Kerry. I'll be honest, I am horrified at the idea of Kerry winning the election and overseeing the War on Terror. This is a guy that appears to believe that people like Osama just need understanding and that those who hate us only do so because of what we do, and not because of who and what we actually are: free people.

Does Kerry have a chance in winning? How tragic will it be if he does?

Hayward: It is hard to predict this far ahead of the election, with the Iraq situation portrayed as volatile by our perverse news media. What this election will tell is whether the electorate remains as serious-minded about foreign affairs as it was during the Cold War, when a Democrat could not win the White House unless he seemed sufficiently robust on foreign policy.

People forget today that Carter ran to the right of Gerald Ford on foreign policy in 1976, attacking Kissinger and detente and even quoting approvingly Ronald Reagan in one TV spot he ran in the South. But then of course Carter lurched in the opposite direction once in office. I think a majority of voters today will see that Kerry is essentially frivolous or worse on foreign policy. If I am wrong about the soundness of a majority of voters, then Kerry will have a chance of winning.

FP: Let us suppose that you were invited to a political history conference in which the top scholars were asked to rate Carter as a President from a scale of 1-10 (10 being a superb president, 0 being an absolute disaster) and then to give a short verdict on his presidency and legacy, what would you say?

Hayward: He would get a zero. He has already been identified as such. Nathan Miller, author of The Star-Spangled Men: America's Ten Worst Presidents, ranks Carter number one among the worst. Miller wrote that "Electing Jimmy Carter president was as close as the American people have ever come to picking a name out of the phone book and giving him the job." I concur. Everyone old enough recalls the high inflation under Carter, and his foreign record was just as bad. Henry Kissinger summarized it this way: "The Carter administration has managed the extraordinary feat of having, at one and the same time, the worst relations with our allies, the worst relations with our adversaries, and the most serious upheavals in the developing world since the end of the Second World War."

FP: Thank you Mr. Hayward, our time is up. It was a privilege to speak with you.

Hayward: My pleasure Jamie.

Link
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:00 pm
hee hee - horseshit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:02 pm
frontpagemagazine is not exactly known for its balance ...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:05 pm
FrontPageMagazine, is that a comic book? he he he...
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:16 pm
A brilliant and insightful piece.

Thank you for sharing it with everyone. Imagine, a president who can actually string several thoughts together in a meaningful and informative way. It seems like so long ago since we had such an occupant in the White House when in fact, it was only 4 years ago.

Oh well, very soon, that will change, and for the better.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
frontpagemagazine is not exactly known for its balance ...

Disregarding the ad hominem statement here, did you have any comments about the points made in the article itself? I thought it made a lot of sense and I do agree with it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:33 pm
I don't read frontpagemagazine articles.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:38 pm
Edgarblythe:

Frontpagemagazine is even further to the right than townhall.com -- best to consider the source and scroll.

This is the convenience of avatars: when I see Cheney, and now Rumsfeld, I just keep scrolling.

Saves me much time. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:44 am
tarantula is just changing the subject to keep anyone from focusing on Carter's analysis, because it makes too much sense.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 06:35 am
Jimmy Carter's analysis is nothing more than a steaming pile of horse manure, which to some left-wingers smells like delicious ambrosia.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 06:58 am
Brilliantly said, tarantulas. I guess that shot Carter down all right.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 07:02 am
In America, the most intellectually accomplished presidents, are always Democrats. This is interesting and should tell Americans something valuable when the time comes to cast your vote for a leader.

Regarding Jimmy Carter, he remains a humantarian of the first order, a man admired around the globe and one who represents what the world wants to think of what's best about the USA.

Does anyone think there will come a day when George W. Bush is so viewed by the world? Hardly. Bush might be best described as the anti-Carter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 07:51 am
Thanks Edgar! I hadn't bumped into Carter's statement.

Tarantulas

If you'd only posted one or two pieces from frontpage or townhall (or better, if you'd pasted a short teaser with link) then folks might be inclined to read it. But both those sites carry nothing but extremist conservative pieces, and we all know that. And it is pretty much all you bother posting or linking. You possibly believe that you (and your posts) represent something like the 'real America'. I've lived in both countries (my first wive was american) and your views, at least as they apper through your posts and links, are not typical.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:08 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Jimmy Carter = tired, irrelevant hyper-liberal. I thought it was cool to have a President who also had been part of the Navy Nuclear Power Program. But when he decided to keep our Olympic athletes from competing in the Olympics one year as a protest against something or other, I began to actively dislike him. He had the gall to actually bring some of the hopeful athletes to Washington and have them standing around him when he made the announcement. Then he looked each one of them up and down as if daring them to make a negative comment. Nowadays he's nothing more than a joke.

at least, unlike your ex president the Great what's his name....Jimmy Carter still knows when he has to take a dump and makes it to the toilet....... :wink: since you opened the door to manure comparisons.......
0 Replies