Rape victims told to repent and look for ‘root sin’

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 12:45 am
@hawkeye10,
Thank you for taking the time to reply - I appreciate that. I hope you're right that you're a much more compassionate person in real life than you come across here.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:13 am
a better article on this university is here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/05/07/boz_tchividjian_is_on_a_mission_billy_graham_s_grandson_wants_to_root_out.html
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:00 pm
I've posted a link below to an article about Patrick Henry College -- which, apparently, has the same problem as BJU. I attempted to copy and paste the text of the article, but the "copy and paste" function of my laptop failed to work at the URL.

Quote:
Sexual Assault at God's Harvard
Patrick Henry College was supposed to be a safe place. For these young women, it wasn't.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116623/sexual-assault-patrick-henry-college-gods-harvard

As a Christian, I'm absolutely sickened by this religious version of the "blame the victim" culture -- which is supported by hawkeye10 and BillRM, who are atheists (Ironic, isn't it?) -- with its complete lack of compassion. Utter hypocrisy! It truly can be said that much evil has been caused by most of organized religion. It is to weep!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:10 pm
@wmwcjr,
It's not religion or lack of it makes people act this way. It's lack of humanity.
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's true. But I expect more out of people who claim to believe in absolute moral standards. I agree with you, Edgar. I'm just reacting emotionally to all this. As a professed Christian, I'm supposed to be in agreement with these so-called "Christians"; but it turns out that their views on rape (not to mention other issues) are diametrically opposed to values I had developed before I even became a Christian. There are atheists who are more "Christian" than a lot of Christians!

As the father of two wonderful grown daughters (both of whom are better human beings than I was at their ages), I've been upset ever since I saw the BJU article at another website. I have absolutely no use for misogynists! I have some chores to do this afternoon; so, I'll have to get off the Internet. I'll check this topic tomorrow or another day.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:27 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
As a Christian, I'm absolutely sickened by this religious version of the "blame the victim" culture

I am going to guess that you are a piss poor Christian. Generally speaking Christianity demands that we humans own up to our errors and faults.

Quote:
Some of us, like Paul, would give almost anything to go back and change some things in our past. We can't do that, but we do have a choice about what we will do with our life from today onward. If you are still reproaching yourself for things for which you were not responsible, stop it and get on with serving God. If you feel that you reasonably bear some of the responsibility for what happened, confess that to God and accept his forgiveness. Then, like Paul, "forget what is behind and press on toward what is ahead" in Christ - Philippians 3:12-14.

http://www.shbi.org/content/BibleLessons/studysheets/Abuse.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 03:49 pm
@wmwcjr,
Surely you know there are more than one cut of Christians. Some are like you and some are like the jerks in the article. They are rooted in Old Testament "eye for an eye" judgement and you likely are from the New Testament "love one another" faction.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 04:27 pm
Shocking view of rape from David Coe, son of the present leader of The Family, the Fellowship.

I've been reading about the outrageous words of George Will about rape. It's hard to wrap my mind around the attitudes that seem to be prevailing lately by the right wing.

I remembered something I had read in an article by Jeff Sharlet, author of The Family. It was in Salon in 2009.

We know that The Family was originally founded as an anti-labor movement by Abraham Vereides.

It was a movement more about power and making political contacts than about religion. The present leader is Doug Coe.

His son, David Coe, made some very strange remarks about those who rape as quoted by Jeff Sharlet in this article about C Street.

Sex and power inside “the C Street House”

Family leaders consider their political network to be Christ’s avant garde, an elite that transcends not just conventional morality but also earthly laws regulating lobbying. In the Family’s early days, they debated registering as “a lobby for God’s Kingdom.” Instead, founder Abraham Vereide decided that the group could be more effective by working personally with politicians. “The more invisible you can make your organization,” Vereide’s successor, current leader Doug Coe preaches, “the more influence you can have.” That’s true — which is why we have laws requiring lobbyists to identify themselves as such.

But David Coe, Doug Coe’s son and heir apparent, calls himself simply a friend to men such as John Ensign, whom he guided through the coverup of his affair. I met the younger Coe when I lived for several weeks as a member of the Family. He’s a surprising source of counsel, spiritual or otherwise. Attempting to explain what it means to be chosen for leadership like King David was — or Mark Sanford, according to his own estimate — he asked a young man who’d put himself, body and soul, under the Family’s authority, “Let’s say I hear you raped three little girls. What would I think of you?” The man guessed that Coe would probably think that he was a monster. “No,” answered Coe, “I wouldn’t.” Why? Because, as a member of the Family, he’s among what Family leaders refer to as the “new chosen.” If you’re chosen, the normal rules don’t apply.

Their support of dictators around the world who commit atrocities is also a shocking stance, and it seems to prove the point about the group being about power....not about religion.

If the Family men who stood over John Ensign as he wrote a baldly insincere breakup letter to his mistress were naive about hearts that want what they want, they don’t claim ignorance about the strongmen with whom they build bonds of prayer and foreign aid. They admire them. Counseling Rep. Tiahrt, Doug Coe offered Pol Pot and Osama bin Laden as men whose commitment to their causes is to be emulated. Preaching on the meaning of Christ’s words, he says, “You know Jesus said ‘You got to put Him before mother-father-brother sister? Hitler, Lenin, Mao, that’s what they taught the kids. Mao even had the kids killing their own mother and father. But it wasn’t murder. It was for building the new nation. The new kingdom.”

http://www.salon.com/2009/07/21/c_street/
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 05:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
I checked the article. Interestingly enough, considering that you of all people endorsed the article, it wasn't what I expected. In fact, it undeniably clashes with the noxious George Will view, which you so enthusiastically support. The individual who is described in the article maintains there have been coverups of rapes in colleges and universities -- a sad fact that you and BillRM have consistently denied year after year. (I shouldn't even have to say the following, but the rape enablers have to be answered: That is not to say all accusations of rape are true. That's nonsense. Why says that, anyway? There are evil young women just as there are evil young men.) You seem to be contradicting yourself by recommending this article. It isn't exactly an expression of the MRA point of view.

But I'm past the point of caring in this forum. It's become a time-waster for me and an addictive one at that. A blood sport, as you say. I have a life in real life. I have some pressing business that needs to be attended to, business that has nothing to do with forums.

Even though I strongly disagree with some (but perhaps not all) of your views, I will give you this much credit, though: You're remarkably more civil than some of your fiercest critics; namely, those of the "in-crowd." But to repeat myself, I still have trouble trusting you.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 05:38 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
the article maintains there have been coverups of rapes in colleges and universities -- a sad fact that you and BillRM have consistently denied year after year

Not I

Quote:
You seem to be contradicting yourself by recommending this article
I am pro truth, and this article is better written then the op article.

Quote:
" But to repeat myself, I still have trouble trusting you.
I am not asking to take you to bed, there is no need to trust me. Listen to the arguments, look at the evidence, and then trust your mind and heart to direct you.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 01:38 pm
TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘promiscuous’
By David Edwards
Tuesday, June 24, 2014 14:24 EDT
google plus icon
Brandon Vandenburg accused of raping Vanderbilt student (WKRN)

Court documents submitted by one of four Vanderbilt football players accused of raping an unconscious 21-year-old female student painted her as “promiscuous” and a “drinker.”

Last year, 19-year-old Corey Batey, 20-year-old Brandon Vandenburg, 19-year-old Brandon Banks and 19-year-old Jaborian McKenzie were kicked off the Vanderbilt football team after they were arrested on five counts of rape, and two counts of sexual battery.

Vandenburg, whose dorm room was the alleged scene of the crime, was also charged with tampering with evidence and unlawful photography.

On Monday, his lawyers submitted a 128-page motion in an effort to convince a judge that the case should be dismissed.

According to WKRN, the filing included interviews with witnesses that described the victim “as a promiscuous and heavy drinker who had a history of dating football players, even working with [Coach James Franklin] to recruit football players.”

The document claimed that a Florida woman named Angela Gentry provided free drinks to the players and the victim at a local bar in violation of NCAA rules. Gentry, however, denied those accusations.

“I didn’t know anything about NCAA rules or regulations,” she said, acknowledging she or her friend may have paid for a few drinks. “I used to buy shots for my friends. I’m not going to say some of my friends didn’t pick the shots up.”

The court filing also asserted that prosecutors had withheld almost 28,000 text messages, including messages the victim sent on the night of the incident. The defense team mentions the name of Coach Franklin, while noting that the woman was taking selfies and texting them to someone while she was being medically examined following the alleged rape.

For their part, prosecutors insisted that all relevant evidence had been turned over to the defense, and that there had been no misconduct. They were expected to respond to the court filing at a hearing on Monday.

Watch the video below from WKRN, broadcast June 23, 2014.

David Edwards has served as an editor at Raw Story since 2006. His work can also be found at Crooks & Liars, and he's also been published at The BRAD BLOG. He came to Raw Story after working as a network manager for the state of North Carolina and as as engineer developing enterprise resource planning software. Follow him on Twitter at @DavidEdwards.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
The court filing also asserted that prosecutors had withheld almost 28,000 text messages, including messages the victim sent on the night of the incident. The defense team mentions the name of Coach Franklin, while noting that the woman was taking selfies and texting them to someone while she was being
I cant imagine how these could possibly be not relevant.....and it would not be the first time that a DA got lectured by the judge about with holding evidence.
Germlat

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:40 pm
@wmwcjr,
Thanks for noticing!! How can any culture accept it? It's actually common in culture to look to the one raped and examine behavior.
Germlat

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:47 pm
@JTT,
Been to University--- never raped. It did afford me a great life though. As my father wanted me to have and know--my brain is as valuable as anyone else's . All I had to prove was to what degree.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The football players themselves are "promiscuous drinkers"! Rolling Eyes The question is simply this: Was the young woman consenting? If she was unconscious at the time, she clearly wasn't consenting.

If I noticed a rich businessman dead drunk in an alleyway somewhere, would I have the right to help myself to his wallet; or would my actions be defined by the law as theft?
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:01 pm
@Germlat,
You're welcome. Smile

The "blame the victim" mentality absolves the perpetrator of any personal responsibility. I expect we'll soon see a post that claims immodest apparel causes rape or some other such nonsense. The debate over rape is nearly as ugly as the debate in the 1950s through the 1970s over Jim Crow. It's very sad.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:17 pm
@wmwcjr,
Interesting concept. I definitely understand your thinking...but-- not all crimes of opportunity are the same. Some are more heinous than others. If someone sodomized you while you were drunk...it'd be different than if they stole you're wallet.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:25 pm
@Germlat,
Well, that's true. I must agree. Smile
Germlat

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:38 pm
@wmwcjr,
We agree for sure...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you think an unconscious person is capable of expressing specific consent to sex. Remind me not to pass out at your house.
0 Replies