Anything wrong with the picture?

Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:31 am
I been giving out sample at Costco* for over 2 years. About a year ago, it was her first day on the job. I was passing her cart during break and she mistook me for a customer and asked me to try her sample. I replied, "oh I can't during break. Maybe after our shift. That really looks good though. Do u close tonight?"

She suddenly looked very uncomfortable and kept replying, "uh huh" throughout my string of sentences. And when I asked her if she closed, all she said was yeah. I then went on my way. Why didn't she contribute more to the conversation. And why look uncomfortable?

A week later, after our shift, I also went right up to her and said, "I won't ask how old you are but I will ask what year you graduated high school." She gave me a straight answer and never talked to me again. She talks to everyone else though. Why?

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:47 am
@Angel23,
Why the hell would you care when anyone had graduated High School?

As for the earlier part of the conversation, it was the gal's first day on the job. Cripes, you always seem to be pouncing on people. Cut it out; it keeps getting you into these sorts of situations, ad infinitum.
Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:53 am
@jespah,
How was I pouncing on her when I was replying to her invite to try her sample? She mistook me for a customers btw. I don't understand.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:01 pm
@Angel23,
Quote:
About a year ago, it was her first day on the job.

1. It happened a year ago. Why are you still thinking about it?

2. What was wrong with just politely saying "no thanks, I work here" without all the other nosy questions?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:10 pm
@Angel23,
Maybe she was trying to follow the work rules about focusing on the customer and not carrying on personal conversations when on duty.

And, it is a lie that you were just responding to her invite to try the food. If that were the case, you had no need to ask her all the other questions and would have just said, "no thanks, I work here too.". The other questions were none of your business.

However, I think the more important issue is that you are still obsessing on it after a year, so much so that you remember the intricate detail of the conversation and her reactions.

Why do you think you do that?
Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes I coulda simply said no thanks I work here. I just didn't know at that time and went, "I can't during break. Maybe after our shift..." When I got to, "do u close tonight?" It's bc I was closing too and might get to try her sample when we close together.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:32 pm
@Angel23,
Okay, so why are you still thinking about it after a year has gone by?
Angel23

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think about everything that ever didn't seem right.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:31 am
@Angel23,
"I think about everything that ever didn't seem right. "

AH - you have finally recognized your problem.

Stop answering every barking dog.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:17 am

I infer that Angel is desperate for friendship
and that she tried to make a new friend,
but that her social skills are less developed than most people.

This calls to mind the experience of Elliot Rodger
(forgive the comparison, Angel -- no offense), but he was so
socially crippled by fear of embarrassment as to remain mute,
silently ignoring his desperate craving of social inter-action.

To her credit, Angel IS actively doing something about it.
Theoretically, she might have succeeded in making friends.
It is possible that some of her co-workers MIGHT want more friends.

IF Angel continues her efforts to make new friends among her co-workers,
if there are enuf of them, its almost inevitable that she will succeed.

See if u can find someone to help u develop your social skills, Angel.
Maybe a professional psychologist can do it or refer u to someone.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, you might want to review her posting history over the last seven years or so under her various user names.

These are often repeated subjects of discussion with her and many people have offered a whole spectrum of advice and suggestions at her request.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

David, you might want to review her posting history
over the last seven years or so under her various user names.

These are often repeated subjects of discussion with her and many
people have offered a whole spectrum of advice and suggestions at her request.
Yes; something22, if I remember.
She has gotten fired from retail jobs a lot and lamented it.
Regardless, I think that my post hereinabove accurately applies.
I think that she is mostly an innocent soul, just a bit awkward.

I re-iterate that her actively seeking out friendship
is better than remaining mute, as Elliot Rodger did.
I think that if he 'd been trained to better social skills,
then there's a good chance that he' d not have harmed anyone.
Angel23

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So was the comment I made to this girl wrong or what? When she mistook me for a customer, all I said was i can't during break and that I prolly would try it after our shift. I also asked if she closed tonight. Yes I coulda said, "no thanks I work here." I was just wondering if what I said was also right.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:14 am
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:

So was the comment I made to this girl wrong or what?
When she mistook me for a customer, all I said was i can't during break and that I prolly would try it after our shift. I also asked if she closed tonight. Yes I coulda said, "no thanks I work here." I was just wondering if what I said was also right.
I think it was OK.
I have no way to know how well u delivered it.
Your demeanor might have been good or bad.
Angel23

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Also, before this particular girl (I'll call her Abby) there was another coworker (Dana) who was new at that time. It was Dana's first day and I was shopping on my day off. She asked me to try a sample which I did. I then called her by her FULL NAME and she looked at me like wondering how I knew her last name as well. Her name tag only had her first name. Then I told her I looked at the schedule online and told her we'll be working together the coming weekend.

Dana was very receptive to that. And 2 years later, she still talks to me. So why does Abby snub me for simply NOT saying, "no thanks I work here too."
Angel23

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I was friendly like always. She's the one who looked uncomfortable for no good reason.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:03 am
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:
So why does Abby snub me for simply NOT saying, "no thanks I work here too."
That is anyone 's guess.
Do u think it had to do with your demeanor ?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:41 pm
Even though you said you were on break, she may not have put together that you worked there. From her point of view you were a customer that was suddenly telling her that you would seek her out after her shift and that may have creeped her out. As for asking her graduation date that was really not any of your business. Having it come up in conversation is one thing, but marching up to and questioning a person like that can be intimidating and intrusive. It seems you are trying to be friendly but you seem to be coming on awfully strong and that can be dis-arming. If they feel uncomfortable around you then they will be unlikely to foster a friendship.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:53 pm
@Aldistar,
Aldistar, I am very glad to see you back.

The poster you are replying to has been here for years under a few names. I do not think that any of us dislike her, more that we do wish her well but she needs professional help.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
What birdbrain negs my post?

0 Replies