Understanding ureaplasma urealyticum

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 01:01 am
Hi,

I have recently had unprotected sex with a new partner and a few days later I started experiencing some unusual symptoms. These included, abnormal vaginal discharge, a slight (very mild) burning whilst urinating, a small amount of blood in discharge at times (only for a few days - has stopped now) and lower abdominal pain. These symptoms convinced me that I had an STI such as chlamydia or gonnoreha so I went and had an STI check. Both STI's came back negative however the doctor said I had a ureaplasma urealyticum infection. She didn't provide me with much information about this at all other than it was an imbalance of bacteria. She gave me a prescription for doxycyline and sent me off.

When i got home i obviously research the ureaplasma infection and I'm still pretty unsure about what it is and what to think. Some websites suggest 30-70% of sexually active people have it and its a normal presence in "normal flora" however others say its practically and STD which leads to other complications if left untreated. Secondly, i was under the impression it was caused by an imbalance however i have since learnt from my research that it can also be sexually transmitted?

I was just wanting someone with a medical qualification to explain this infection to me in simple terms and whether i should be worried. I would also like to know if i should be informing my past/present sexual partners about the infection and suggesting they get tested?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 0
No top replies