Unreasonable Client

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:25 am
Now I have no or little control over who my clients are as I work for a large company. In the past I have had very big successes in dealing with difficult clients. Just a week ago, I was complimented on the positive remarks one such client (new to me) made in regards to my dealings with them. But I'm sorry this other SOB takes the cake. Here is the story and please help me making suggestions how to deal this A*hole.

Calls me at my office number, I was unavailable so he left a message and called me on my cell. I was some where answering my cell would be inappropriate (very rare that this ever happens), left a message there. He called my boss, who also just happened to be unavailable and leaves a message with him. Within a half hour of my messages I call him back. The stuff he wants to talk about really will not be harmed at all by a half hour wait. He feels he should be able to get a hold of some one at pretty much any time. If I am unavailable there should be a couple of other people to get a hold of. I agree with having others to contact and as this particular person is not my main contact, he does not have our org. chart so easy to remedy send the org. chart.

As I work with another much larger client, our process is to agree with our clients on a schedule of deliverables-that way you can plan your time to meet all clients requests and needs. This particular client has followed these schedules and because of its product it is not regulated so no deadlines really have to be meant legally. He will call at 4:45 and expect me to turn around information to him by the end of the day. Hello - the end of the day is 5:00. Now I do not have a problem working late, but I would need more than 15 minutes notification to make proper arrangements for personal reasons. Also, I may have a deliverable to my other client. Today as he berated me for not kissing his a**, I explained that we do service other clients and I need to service their needs as well. I will try to turn things around as soon as possible, but I cannot ignore my other clients. He believes otherwise. He believes that I should ignore my other client and only focus on him. He said overall considering all the business they do with us, I should drop whatever I am doing to please him. I explained that I treat all my clients the same. I give them the same excellent service and do not put one higher than the other. He again countered. I again said well I am sorry, but I have strong values where I will not ignore another client.

What would you do? And what should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:25 pm
Kick the problem upstairs. This is why your boss gets paid more than you do. You do not make policy--you implement and follow policy.

Boss deals with problem. Client is flattered by boss's attention. Linkat is off the hook.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 01:14 pm
That is exactly what I did. He agrees with the way I handled the SOB by the way.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 01:41 pm
Quote:
I give them the same excellent service and do not put one higher than the other. He again countered. I again said well I am sorry, but I have strong values where I will not ignore another client.

Cheering you on!!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:00 pm
Thanks! What I really wanted to say was you are an a*hole and as a result I will ignore your requests, give you shoddy work and f*ck you over and you will not even know the difference.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:34 pm
You've done exactly what was called for. Some abusive clients go out of their way to get you to snap, because they know your boss will likely compensate them in some way if you do. You defeat them by killing them with kindness while keeping your superiors abreast of the situation.

A good Boss will give them a call, impress upon them how busy he is, "but I wanted to make sure you were happy". We'll do our best to meet your demands but in return you have to understand that we have a lot of valued customers. You wouldn't want us to drop what we're doing for you when one of our million dollar clients calls would you? Of course not... here's my private number, if you have any problems, don't hesitate to call.

You may be surprised to learn that your superior could use the exact same words as you, but get an entirely different response. People are funny that way... especially the A-holes.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:51 pm
My number one client was a jack***. I am not sure really why I am in the client-servicing business because I really can't stand people! Anyways this client berated me in front of others, was continuously rude and irrational, and finally spoke badly about me to my superiors. Unfortunately they let it slip so I told them to take me off the account that I would rather stick daggers in my eyes than deal with this *** any longer. They asked me to hang on, try and be nicer, yadayadayada. I was saccharine but did only what was required and not one iota more, while giving my other clients excellent service and even going above and beyond for them who were nice to me or even the slightest bit appreciative.

Said client is now gone (individual I dealt with, not the actual client company) and excellent service has now resumed.

See? You do better with honey!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:06 pm
Heeven it is true that every one else at this client is very reasonable to deal with - it is just this one particular jacka**. Even other people in his office ask me how I am dealing with him so they realize that he is jerk also. As a result I have not yet sent him his information. I will right before I leave the office so he cannot call me. Ah, sh*t I promised I would call him before I sent the info. Hopefully I will only have to talk with voice mail. I have been very nice to him and will pretend to be nice. But in the future I am not breaking my a** any more for him. He doesn't know how much time some things will take so I will make out like it something that takes hours even when it takes a couple of minutes.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:37 pm
Linkat,

I feel for you. I've been in a similar situation on more than one occasion.

It never ceases to amaze me that clients often don't understand that they are your clients as well. Because they are paying for the service some of them feel as though that gives them the right to make unreasonable demands, or to act like an ass.

The funny thing is that clients are competing for your time. And generally the nicer/more appreciative they are - the more you are willing to do for them.

If only they all understood that.

Good job on handling it btw.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 07:36 am
Thanks Jer. Believe me I wanted to swear at him, but still tried to act professional. I also wanted to get to the point across that I will work hard, but I am also going to work hard for my other client. I am also some one who is not going to be pushed around and told how I should run my group. I feel much better today and plan on working on my other client's stuff all day.
0 Replies