Wiyaka

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:24 pm
infowarrior wrote:
Sam:

Quote:
I hope he is no longer your husband.

Nope, she's my husband now.

Quote:
That sort of behavior is never acceptable in a relationship. You're worth more than that.

I agree on both counts.

Quote:
I think your characterization of these neocon thugs is as good a one as I've ever heard. They are evil, and completely amoral.

Yep
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:06 am
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Everyone has a choice in what they do. If you choose to be a coward who uses ambush techniques while hidding then you must be prepared for the consequences.

Granted, I removed a few words, but with reason. Those that verbally snipe at others must be prepared for counter-attack or defense by their victims.

Quote:
PDiddie and others will have you believe that the people in Guantanamo are all innocent civilians who have never been put through any sort of process and have never even picked up a gun, much less actually attacked any US military members.

Then why are they being held for months without being formally charged, eh? (Canuckism for blatham and others from that wonderful country.)

The law is written for reasons.
Quote:
Soldiers are protected by the Geneva Convention.

Guess you don't understand the situation. POWs are protected under the Geneva Convention. Soldiers of countries signing it are to follow it, as are their countries. However some countries and some soldiers don't. That's wrong.

Quote:
Guerilla fighters are not. That is to discourage people from using guerilla tactics during times of war

Funny, the US trains all Special Warfare personnel in guerilla warfare. Ask any member of the Green Berets, US Marine Force Recon, US Navy SEALS, Airborne Rangers, Long Range Recon Patrol (LRPP)and don't forget Pathfinders. Very Happy That's why it's called Special Warfare!(These are just from the US, not allied forces. Sorry, if it appears to be elitist, but McG may not recognize foreign units.)

Quote:
So many people here pretend that US is somehow stooping to the same level as the terrorists and that is simply not true.

No, we do it on a larger scale like invading an entire country.

Quote:
If it were we would be much more devastating and destructive. we would have shoot on sight orders and have declared martial law in Iraq.

We haven't? Obviously the Iraqis invited us to bomb their country and install all of this into their lives? Silly me for not undstanding.

Quote:
If we were interested in Iraqi oil, we would simply cordone off those area and put them under strict military law. BUT, we haven't done any of this because that is not the way the US does things.

You're right. The oil companies did it and still do. They have just hire gentle, grandfatherly types to be security guards, right? They never tried to recruit anyone with Special Warfare training for these jobs. Dearie me, no! I must have misundertood that letter I recieved just prior to my ETS. Embarrassed I though that it was addressed to me, when it was meant for the grandfather I was named after! Shocked

Quote:
Would we really be having these investigations into the incidents at Abu Ghraib if we didn't care?

Yep
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:18 am
In another time, Rummy the Dummy would've had a job as head of Hitler's SS.

He's crazy and deranged.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:40 am
Wiyaka wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Everyone has a choice in what they do. If you choose to be a coward who uses ambush techniques while hidding then you must be prepared for the consequences.

Granted, I removed a few words, but with reason. Those that verbally snipe at others must be prepared for counter-attack or defense by their victims.

Yes, you can change the entire meaning and context of a sentance by simply removing some words. I am proud of you for being able to lead by example.

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
PDiddie and others will have you believe that the people in Guantanamo are all innocent civilians who have never been put through any sort of process and have never even picked up a gun, much less actually attacked any US military members.

Then why are they being held for months without being formally charged, eh? (Canuckism for blatham and others from that wonderful country.)

The law is written for reasons.
Quote:
Soldiers are protected by the Geneva Convention.

Guess you don't understand the situation. POWs are protected under the Geneva Convention. Soldiers of countries signing it are to follow it, as are their countries. However some countries and some soldiers don't. That's wrong.

POW's only attain the status of POW when they are recognized combatants. Unlawful combatants are not eligible for POW status. Surely your extensive training and experience has taught you that. So, if they are not POW's, but criminals, they are not entitled to the protection of the Geneva convention. They are, however, entitled to the protection of the laws of the United States.

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
Guerilla fighters are not. That is to discourage people from using guerilla tactics during times of war

Funny, the US trains all Special Warfare personnel in guerilla warfare. Ask any member of the Green Berets, US Marine Force Recon, US Navy SEALS, Airborne Rangers, Long Range Recon Patrol (LRPP)and don't forget Pathfinders. Very Happy That's why it's called Special Warfare!(These are just from the US, not allied forces. Sorry, if it appears to be elitist, but McG may not recognize foreign units.)

Thanks for being so patronizing. It makes your post that much less meaningful.

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
So many people here pretend that US is somehow stooping to the same level as the terrorists and that is simply not true.

No, we do it on a larger scale like invading an entire country.

Rolling Eyes No comparison.

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
If it were we would be much more devastating and destructive. we would have shoot on sight orders and have declared martial law in Iraq.

We haven't? Obviously the Iraqis invited us to bomb their country and install all of this into their lives? Silly me for not undstanding.

No, we haven't. Your pretended ignorance is most unbecoming. Maybe if you did understand we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
If we were interested in Iraqi oil, we would simply cordone off those area and put them under strict military law. BUT, we haven't done any of this because that is not the way the US does things.

You're right. The oil companies did it and still do. They have just hire gentle, grandfatherly types to be security guards, right? They never tried to recruit anyone with Special Warfare training for these jobs. Dearie me, no! I must have misundertood that letter I recieved just prior to my ETS. Embarrassed I though that it was addressed to me, when it was meant for the grandfather I was named after! Shocked

Your still playing dumb. Why?

Wiyaka wrote:
Quote:
Would we really be having these investigations into the incidents at Abu Ghraib if we didn't care?

Yep

Why?
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:05 am
Deecups36,

This is how your beloved (hahaha!) Defense Secretary is viewed by most of the world.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:10 am
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.

Hack says the decisions to throw out Geneva run all the way to the Pentagon:

Quote:
COOPER: You think -- Taguba basically said this doesn't go above brigade level. But I was only looking at the military police side of this. You think the can of worms may be on the military intelligence side and that investigation is still ongoing.

HACKWORTH: It's definitely there. And I think his charter to just look at the MP side, was the kind of the old dodge game on the part of the army. We hope this will make it go away. But bottom line is, for example, just before I came on the show, I got a report from a military intelligence colonel, a guy that really is in the know, and he said that this system of abuse was organized, planned for, the top generals knew about it. The commanding general out there of military intelligence, General Fast knew about it, probably General Sanchez. And it probably went right up the line to the Pentagon.

COOPER: But let's just play devil's advocate. Today Taguba said Sanchez put out orders about what are the established guidelines, and these people down low weren't following those orders. You don't buy that?

HACKWORTH: No, I don't. And the colonel also said that it was a program designed to instruct the military police by the military intelligence folks. And there was this thing that you mentioned earlier, who was in command?

You know, you can only have one captain of a ship. You can't have two. And if you and I were running that prison, look, buddy, Anderson are you running it or am I running it?

We'd be on the phone to Sanchez and say who's in charge here.

COOPER: Taguba said he found no evidence of actual paper orders saying military intelligence was in charge.

HACKWORTH: But he just looked at the military police side. I think once you dig in, and according to my source today, a very reliable source, he alleges that General Fast was very much involved in this. Even training films were made, and sent back to the intelligence school to be used for training. And that both the MPs and the military intelligence folks were told to ignore the Geneva Convention. It didn't count. So you can bet your boots there's a whole bunch more going to come out on this, and it's going to go all the way to the Pentagon.

By supporting his Secretary of Defense so unequivocally, in the face of evidence that exposes war crimes, the President is now guilty of same.

Odds are now being figured on the date a group of Republicans announce impeachment proceedings.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:31 am
Far as I know the genava convention uses the word enemy combatants when describing POWs but I may be mistaken..... here is a link about how the internationla rules of war works......
http://people.howstuffworks.com/rules-of-war.htm
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:15 am
McG,

Somehow, I think you've missed my points and the irony of my replies.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:17 am
Sam says that I was a bit sarcastic, too. Twisted Evil Somehow, she may be right.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:48 am
Quote:
The Times' trick last October, in echoing Neier and the Red Cross, was to spread a counterfeit version of the Geneva Conventions, designed to cripple America's prosecution of the War on Terror, and empower her enemies. The counterfeiting starts with the notion that the Conventions are somehow "international law" and universally, unconditionally binding, though when one reads between the lines, one sees that in the Neier/Red Cross counterfeit version, the Conventions are unconditionally binding on the U.S., but not on her enemies. In fact, the Geneva Conventions have the character not of international law, which is a fiction, but of a treaty, even if this particular treaty has 188 signatories. Thus, the actual Geneva Conventions apply only to military conflicts between High Contracting Parties, say America and France; they do not apply to conflicts between a High Contracting Party and "illegal combatants," of whom terrorists are the classic example. Some of the characteristics of illegal combatants are the lack of a uniform or the equivalent ("insignia"), identifying them as soldiers; the refusal to openly carry arms; the lack of a commanding officer responsible for combatants' actions; and the refusal to follow the laws and customs of war. Illegal combatants do not receive the status or rights of prisoners of war.

Link
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 01:43 pm
Thanks for that, Tar; makes my point.

The Geneva accords are not optional.

They are the law of the land; signed by the president, ratified by Congress.

Rumsfeld's concern -- that al-Qaeda members do not wear uniforms and are thus "unlawful combatants" -- is certainly understandable, but that is a determination that a military court would have to make.

In a war that could go on for decades, the United States cannot simply arrest and detain people indefinitely on the whim of the Secretary of Defense.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:38 am
P. Diddie is correct:

My research in the Geneva Convention shows the following:

a. It is against the rules of the Convention to put detainees in uncomfortable positions.

b. It is against the rules of the Convention to keep prisoners nude.

c. It is against the Geneva Convention to punch and pummel prisoners.

d. It is against the Geneva Convention to force prisoners to simulate homosexual sex.

e. It is against the Geneva Convention to force prisoners to masturbate.

f. It is against the Geneva Convention to humiliate prisoners by having a woman view their nudity.

g. However, It is not against the Geneva Convention to brutally cut off a person's head and display it on Television. This was done by a group of Islamic Fundamentalists who used the name of God as support for their actions.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:26 am
Providing they were genuine Islamics.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:02 am
Dear Mr. John Webb: May I take the liberty of referring you to the works of Bernard Lewis, who is probably the leading American expert on Islam.

Professor Lewis explains that the radical fundamentalists make up only a small fraction of the believers in Islam.

Professor Lewis explains that the very small group are aggrieved about secularism and modernity of the West and wants the world to be converted to Islam.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:02 pm
Here is the timeline of events associated with the disclosure of prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib, courtesy msnbc.com:

Aug. 31-Sept. 9, 2003
Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, who runs the military prison for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, conducts an inquiry on interrogation and detention procedures in Iraq. He suggests that prison guards can help set conditions for the interrogation of prisoners.

October-December
Many of the alleged abuses at Abu Ghraib take place during this time period.

Oct. 13-Nov. 6
Maj. Gen. Donald Ryder, provost marshal of the Army, investigates conditions of U.S.-run prisons in Iraq, including Abu Ghraib. He finds problems throughout the prisons. Some units, including the 800th Military Police Brigade, did not receive adequate training to guard prisons, he notes. He also says military police (MPs) should not assist in making prisoners more pliable to interrogation, as their job is to keep prisoners safe.

Nov. 19
The 205th Military Intelligence Brigade is given responsibility for Abu Ghraib prison and authority over the 800th Military Police Brigade.

November
Two Iraqi detainees die in separate incidents that involved CIA interrogation officers.

Jan. 13, 2004
Army Spc. Joseph M. Darby, an MP with the 800th at Abu Ghraib, first reports cases of abuse at the prison.

Jan. 16
Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez orders a criminal investigation into reports of abuse at the prison by members of the brigade. The military also announces the investigation publicly.

Jan. 19
Sanchez orders a separate administrative investigation into the 800th MP Brigade. Maj. Gen. Antonio M. Taguba is appointed to conduct that inquiry on Jan. 31.

Late January - early February
President Bush becomes aware of the charges sometime in this time period, according to White House spokesman Scott McClellan, although the spokesman has not pinpointed a date. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld tells Bush of the charges, McClellan has said.

Feb. 23
Seventeen U.S. soldiers suspended from duties pending outcome of investigation.

Feb. 24
International Committee of the Red Cross provides the Coalition Authority with a confidential report on detention in Iraq. Portions of the report are published without ICRC consent by the Wall Street Journal on May 7.

March 3-9
Taguba presents his report to his commanders. He finds widespread abuse of prisoners by military police and military intelligence. He also agrees with Ryder that guards should not play any role in the interrogation of prisoners.

March 20
Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt tells reporters six military personnel have been charged with criminal offenses.

Mid-April
Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, asks CBS-TV to delay airing photographs it has obtained of abuse at Abu Ghraib. Myers says the photos would exacerbate an intense period of violence under way in Iraq. CBS delays its program for two weeks.

April 28
Rumsfeld meets with senators in a closed briefing on the war in Iraq. Rumsfeld neglects to mention the issue of prisoner abuse or the coming disclosure of photos.

CBS "60 Minutes II" airs the photos, setting off an international outcry. Bush first learns about these photos from the television report, his aides say.

Early May
CIA confirms that some of its officers hid Iraqi prisoners from watchdog groups like the Red Cross.

May 1
An article by Seymour Hersh, published on The New Yorker magazine's Web site, reveals contents of Taguba's report.

May 2
Myers admits on ABC's "This Week" that he has not yet read the Taguba report issued in March.

May 3
Officials say the Army has reprimanded seven soldiers in the abuse of inmates at Abu Ghraib.

May 4
U.S. Army discloses that it is conducting criminal investigations of 10 prisoner deaths in U.S. custody in Afghanistan and Iraq - beyond two already ruled homicides - plus another 10 abuse cases. (The number grows by two on May 5, when the CIA says it is investigating more cases.)

May 5
President Bush appears on two Arab television channels to address the scandal but does not apologize for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. troops. The following day Bush does apologize.

May 6
The Washington Post publishes four additional photos.

President Bush privately admonishes Rumsfeld for not keeping him informed about the issue.

May 7
Rumsfeld testifies before the Senate and House Armed Services Committees on the issue of prisoner abuse in Iraq. Separately, Army Pfc. Lynndie England, shown in photographs smiling and pointing at naked Iraqi prisoners, is charged with assaulting detainees and conspiring to mistreat them.

May 19
Spc. Jeremy C. Sivits receives the maximum penalty -- one year in prison, reduction in rank and a bad conduct discharge -- in the first court-martial stemming from mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 12:57 am
Here is the timetable of the murder of Mr. Berg:

Shouting "Allah Akbar" the murderous savages that represent the fring elements of Wahhabis in Iraq, cut off the head of Mr. Berg.

It is unknown whether the murderers debated whether or not they should subject Mr. Berg to "real" torture such as making him strip naked, putting a dog collar around his neck, having him simulate homosexual sex, or beating him.

They decided to make it easy on Mr. Berg and merely cut off his head.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 01:16 am
I guess some on the far left reading Mr. Diddie's comments would come to the following conclusions:

a. American troops are animals

b. American commanders urged them to act as animals.

c. The abuse of poor innocent Iraqis can be laid at the door of the rapacious Americans in charge in Washington.

d. The principles who are ultimately guilty of these crimes are President George W. Bush and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

e. Since they are guilty, they must resign.

Mr. Diddie may or may not come to these conclusions. I can say, without fear of error, that this scenario will not occur. The basic difference between the USA and the Iraqi fundamentalists who believe that Islam preaches that it must triumph over all and bring its teachings to the entire world or put the secular and modernist world to the sword, is that the USA is holding those responsible accountable.

Some Iraqis have been quoted to the effect that the punishment which will be given to Spc. Jeremy Sivits is much too lenient.

I am very much afraid that the Iraqis do not undestand that the left wing in the United States does not believe in justice- Iraqi style.

The left wing, instead, argues against capital punishment, even for the most heinous crimes.

The left wing is noted for its exculpatory sermons which do not blame the miscreants but rather tell us that they could not help what they did because they grew up in a ghetto, were beaten by mom and dad or ate too many Twinkies.

It is the left which must explain to the suspicious Iraqis that our system of Justice, even in the military system, is not the system which feeds live people into shredders, gases hundreds of men, women and children because they are a minority group, tortures THOUSANDS to death, and uses the courts as an instrument controlled by a dictator.

If the far left demands life sentences for the American soldiers who have committed the abuses at Abu Ghraib, then, I am very much afraid that their pleas in the USA for mercy for serial killers or repeat rapists who have been found guilty by civilian courts in the USA must fall on deaf ears since they would be the sheerest hypocrasy.
0 Replies