Why do you think the Bible is factual?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 09:04 am
@BDV,
There is such a book called Bible. It is factual...I supposed you intended to refer to the Bibble content. By the way didn't you noticed yet honest politicians never win elections...ppl hate to deal with the trutb. Tales are what democracy sells. Get use to it.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 11:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
The entire illicit drug movement and prohibition of alcohol was driven by theists.

Seriously!?
Your history of the drug war and prohibition needs brushing up.
I suggest you look for the names Hurst, Rockerfeller, Hoover (FBI director) and Nixon as the prime drivers of the drug war.
These assholes were driven by greed, racial bias and political ambition, not theism.

Nixon wasn't in effect during the 1920s ban on alcohol. This was driven by the "tolerance" group. Funny name since they were intolerant of alcohol. They were a christian group set out to make alcohol illegal. They were successful but the result was a huge spike in crime, death and for years the mafia made millions. Even the Kennedy family benefited from creating illegal alcohol and selling it to speakeasys and made millions.

Then later in Utah the morons began the crusade against marijuana. They spread propaganda to incite fear in the ignorant public. It eventually worked and it was made illegal then the other drugs followed as well as other states were pressured into following suit.

I think it is you who needs a brush up on history.
Krumple

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 11:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I know a great many theists (including myself) who do not attempt to force their beliefs on anyone. I don't know what your view is on abortion, and it really doesn't matter, but whatever it is it is informed by your belief system. By your reasoning, any on the opposite side of your view point can argue that your belief system is harmful and intrusive if you ever expressed your view or voted for a candidate, in part, based on the fact that his or hers aligns with your view.

Believing in a god doesn't taint society. Acting in certain ways that are motivated by that belief have throughout history been harmful to societies but they have also been very helpful.

If you were somehow able to wipe theism from the minds of everyone on earth there would still be wars, cruelty and suffering. The people who now use their theism as a vehicle for their evil deeds would simply find another: nationalism, racism, Marxism, etc.

Sure there might still be war, but a LOT less of it without religion around.

The way to peace is through intellect, theism holds back the rational mind. Sure there are some intelligent people whom are theists, but I bet most of them only claim they are so they don't have to deal with the fallout of their family, work or other social impacts there are when you leave a religion.

If all theists kept it to themselves then sure, you would have a point, but they don't. They are compelled to push their theology into places it shouldn't be. So if 1% of theists keep it to themselves, so what? There are still too many pushing their theistic ideology into the secular arena where it shouldn't be.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 02:31 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
There were no laws on the books about marijuana in the United States. That is until U.S. Narcotics Bureau chief Harry Anslinger started to push the “reefer madness” theme, campaigning to get the “evil weed” out of the reach of Americans. As he told a congressional committee in 1937:
“Those who are habitually accustomed to the use of the drug are said to develop a delirious rage after its administration, during which they are temporarily, at least, irresponsible and liable to commit violent crimes. The prolonged use of this narcotic is said to produce mental deterioration. It apparently releases inhibitions of an antisocial nature which dwell within the individual.” –  H.J. Anslinger, “Taxation of Marihuana” (Congressional Hearings, 1937).

It was people like Anslinger (who was influenced by the Newspaper publisher Hurst) who drove the beginning of the drug war. They were behind the public campaign that featured crap like the movie "Reefer Madness".

Were there religious people that pushed for the same? Of course there were but we do in fact have separation of church & state in the U.S. Your carping about the pernicious influence of theism is bogus.

Krumple

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 02:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
There were no laws on the books about marijuana in the United States. That is until U.S. Narcotics Bureau chief Harry Anslinger started to push the “reefer madness” theme, campaigning to get the “evil weed” out of the reach of Americans. As he told a congressional committee in 1937:
“Those who are habitually accustomed to the use of the drug are said to develop a delirious rage after its administration, during which they are temporarily, at least, irresponsible and liable to commit violent crimes. The prolonged use of this narcotic is said to produce mental deterioration. It apparently releases inhibitions of an antisocial nature which dwell within the individual.” –  H.J. Anslinger, “Taxation of Marihuana” (Congressional Hearings, 1937).

It was people like Anslinger (who was influenced by the Newspaper publisher Hurst) who drove the beginning of the drug war. They were behind the public campaign that featured crap like the movie "Reefer Madness".

Were there religious people that pushed for the same? Of course there were but we do in fact have separation of church & state in the U.S. Your carping about the pernicious influence of theism is bogus.

It was started by Mormons in Utah.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 03:36 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
It was started by Mormons in Utah.

With proof like that, what can I say
0 Replies

CharlesMeadows

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 07:22 pm
@BDV,
You can't prove the Bible is factual. It's a matter of faith. By the way, faith and science can co-exist side by side, as long as a clear delineation is made
0 Replies

daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 09:29 pm
@BDV,
Not the Bible, as is as in word meaning for true meaning but accounts of events usually do not need certain words to show or tell the general basis of what occurred.

Like this post by Debra Law for example: There is a meme that some of my Facebook friends/family members have caused to appear on my page. The meme says:

"Yes, I am a Christian.
I believe the Bible.

I do not support homosexuality or 'homosexual marriage'.

Yes, I still love you.
Yes, we are still friends.
No, I am not judging you.
No, I am not condemning you to hell.
No, I will not let anyone bully you.

--

The word used in the 'Bible', or Holy Bible to denote 'homosexuality in the King James Version is: 'abusers of themselves with mankind', in 1 Corinthians 6:9

733. arsenokoites

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
homosexual
From arrhen and koite; a sodomite -- abuser of (that defile) self with mankind.

730. arrén

male, man.
Arsen (ar'-sane) probably from airo; male (as stronger for lifting) -- male, man.

142. airó

to take up, take away
A primary root; to lift up; by implication, to take up or away; figuratively, to raise (the voice), keep in suspense (the mind), specially, to sail away (i.e. Weigh anchor); by Hebraism (compare nasa') to expiate sin -- away with, bear (up), carry, lift up, loose, make to doubt, put away, remove, take (away, up).

2845. koité

bed, chambering, cohabitation
From keimai; a couch; by extension, cohabitation; by implication, the male sperm -- bed, chambering, X conceive.

2749. keimai

be appointed, lay, lie.
Middle voice of a primary verb; to lie outstretched (literally or figuratively) -- be (appointed, laid up, made, set), lay, lie. Compare tithemi.

And so you have arren, airo, koite, keimai...

What male do you know can 'bed chamber' to 'conceive'?

What I think this is referring to were the 'temple prostitutes' whom the males 'paid' monies to by which some could have gotten impregnated and also by whom the 'requests' of the male could have been 'lifted up' to the local pagan deity. Some temple prostitutes allegories could even have suggested that if a 'temple prostitute' were to have gotten 'pregnant' by a certain 'male (worshipper)' that his prayers would certainly come to pass.

So 'sodomite' may have arrived when 'male' (worshipers) did not truly want their prayers to be answered enough to take the chance of impregnating the 'temple prostitute' for fear that he may have to 'take care of her' if she did. But nonetheless still desired for the 'prayer' to be 'taken up' to the local deity.

I guess you can compare it to 'superstition' with real physical acts/doings, etc...
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 09:47 pm
@daverod,
And what male could have gotten impregnated? And so I would have to think that most of the temple prostitutes were women with the 'sodomites' maybe have been the local males who were willing to partake in the 'sodomy' with the temple prostitutes on behalf of the 'paying male (worshipper(s))'. You got to remember that sexual intercourse and the residual effects of it had to be washed off somewhere. And when there was no running pipes or local showers to jump in and out of to clean your body off, having such practices could have meant 'stinking' for awhile if the 'temple prostitute' was not prepared for sodomite. And so a payment could have been given to the nearby 'working sodomites' with hopes that the prayer would be supplied/provided for.

'working sodomites' being local males who were willing to engage in sodomy with the temple prostitutes for a payment of monies or other goods.

And with possibly many 'temple worshippers' in a given day, the 'working sodomites' had to know how to clean themselves, how to get to certain cleaning places, how to get a change of clothes, etc... Knowledge of the 'process' was probably needed if the 'sodomite' wanted to clean himself off and resume on with the day.

Most definitely, both the temple prostitute and sodomite 'jobs' were probably not 'clean' ones.

Very similar to today's workers who do similar things, maybe not of a sexual nature, to earn some monies to be able to survive.

'abusers of themselves with mankind'

And so maybe the Greek word, arsenokoites ,which The Apostle Paul formed himself, could have denoted both natures of 'abusing self with mankind' for possible luxuries or even maybe for not being 'content' with what one had for that day.
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 10:04 pm
@daverod,
Being a 'hit man' or 'murder for hire' could and might also fit into the term, 'abuser of self with mankind'. Since it was The Apostle Paul who formed the Greek word, arsenokoites, not even those who spoke Greek at that time knew what it meant.

Abusing yourself for a payment or goods. Disrespecting your own well being and safety for payment(s) or goods.

What are those that seek well to do persons to 'shack up' with? Seeking payment(s) or goods for certain services which otherwise might not be sought after. Some individuals have 'pleasure' in that kind of lifestyle whereas some would choose another alternative for the payment(s) and good(s) if they were given the opportunity. And of course, such persons who 'enjoy' that lifestyle will have a much harder time thinking that another lifestyle would provide more or better 'joys'.

However there are those that promote such lifestyles to others as 'nothing' to fear or worry about. And this is where the whole 'individual free rights' and talks and moralities come in.

And within this 'sphere', others question their substance uses, such as marijuana or tobacco or alcohol.

Abuse. If you take a look at the usage from the 'abuse' level, scale, weight, etc, maybe it will give a clearer view of what might be 'abusive' in the usages. Is an addiction that prevents/hinders daily responsibilites abusive to self? Could an unforgiving attitude or heart towards another person or entity prevent or hinder you from doing your daily responsibilities with/towards that person?
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm
@daverod,
Believe it or not, there are certain places in which they say it's okay to daily buffet a neighbor for a wrong he or she may have done.

You have heard of the saying, 'you continue to tell a person what he or she is, that person will end up believing it sooner or later', right? This goes in the wrong direction, also. From being successful to becoming penniless due to what that person is constantly being told without that person being able to find support even for his or her own well being. Look at workplace bullying and harassment. Of course trying to be more cooperative is a good suggestion but if even that fails, what is the worker supposed to do? Then it's on the level of just flat out blatant bullying for absolutely no reason whatsoever. They will bully just because you came in for work. Teens and others have shown to take this even further. They track you down via social media after you left work. When you begin to receive notes and messages of certain of your family or friends, which are not in the same groups as the bullies, then they are really getting deep into the bullying factor. But look at it this way. Had it not been for Christ (J)esus, they would be able to do nothing.

John 15:5 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

This applies to everything in The Entire Universe.

Colossians 1:17 "... by him all things consist."
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 10:39 pm
@daverod,
Which, in your opinion is stranger? The bullies reasoning to be bullies or the bully receiving the 'something' to be able to bully, to be a bully?

John 15:5 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

This applies to everything in The Entire Universe.

Colossians 1:17 "... by him all things consist."

Although this shows the Magnitude of Who He Is, it also shows some really strange things pertaining to life on Earth.

I have heard stories and I have read stories of horrific events which sounds so inhumane and 'evil'. But I have never met any person, in life, who told me these sorts of stories and to which, if I have physically received the account, have, in some way or another, witnessed it, the account, or to have as some kind of evidence for myself to be able to 'affirm' the account. I have heard of multi car crashes and fatalities, I have heard of planes nose diving onto roads, I have heard of this, I have heard of that, but I have never witnessed those sorts of things in my life. And now with all the 'fake news' and Media being revealed, it makes me wonder which is real and which is fake, even of life and death articles.

This may sound off base and belligerent, but I wonder why news reporters are always knee deep in water and high winds when the whole town might be evacuating?? And doing so with a smile. Does he or she get a helicopter lift out of that town? Because if not, the car he's driving might not be able to make it through the flooded streets.

'This town is evacuating now, and as you can see, whhoooosh.... the winds are at very high speeds, rain splash on hoodie of raincoat.. and the eye of the storm is expected in 4 hours. Please.. if you are still within the town, please evacuate immediately. Get to higher ground'....

And after that, he gets into the news van after the camera man and others pack their gear up and drive off to higher grounds?
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 10:56 pm
@daverod,
It wouldn't be a torrential rain fall. But it's raining and it does seem that it is pretty windy. Even the trees seem as if they are going to break in half or be uprooted from the roots.

I know that there are those that commit 'crime'. I do know that there has to be some road accidents, all the drivers are not that adept all at once. I do know those things. So maybe the 'severity' of the events are pretty severe. Pretty severe to make an entire place on edge or on egg shells.

Is anything really 'bad' going to happen?

What are some of the stories that can be relayed so it might open the eyes of the hearers?

I still cannot get over the fact that DKE at Yale, I think this is Yale, has its fraternity 'homes'? that are near driveways and sidewalks.

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/5a67550400d0efd1168b49ce-480/yale-dke.png

https://image3.apartmentfinder.com/i2/IP8gusk6UnSfTZu8mI094SwmMADbn1STJCweN41HujQ/117/greater-grays-ferry-estates-philadelphia-pa-primary-photo.jpg

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5a5e3254f42149ab008b515e-1200/frat%20house%201.jpg

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/31k/30794/44100322/30794_10049894A_49894_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.JPG
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:13 pm
@daverod,
http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/31k/30794/44100322/30794_10049894A_49894_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.JPG

4 bedroom semi-detached house for sale

Victoria Park Road, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44100322.html

How many 'Yales' are there?

Yale fraternity under fire for alleged misogyny

HARTFORD, Conn.—Members of a Yale fraternity that counts both Bush presidents among its famous alumni and whose pledges were ordered to chant obscenities against women are getting a visit from concerned officials of the national organization.

http://archive.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/10/19/yale_fraternity_under_fire_for_alleged_misogyny/

Because the house above listed for sale in Victoria Park is in:

Tunstall is an area in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. It was one of the original six towns that federated to form the city. Tunstall is the most northern, and fourth largest town of the Potteries. It is situated in the very northwest of the city borough, with its north and west boundaries being the city limit. It stands on a ridge of land between Fowlea Brook to the west and Scotia Brook to the east, surrounded by old tile making and brick making sites, some of which date back to the Middle Ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunstall%2C_Staffordshire

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44100322.html
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:22 pm
@daverod,
But why would Yale DKE members want a home in England when Yale is in Connecticut?

And so, the 2 fraternity homes cannot be in England since it was posted as Yale in Connecticut in the news articles. See what I mean now?
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:28 pm
@daverod,
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/71/02/65/14953831/5/920x920.jpg

There is obviously a sidewalk, parking and parking spots. Looks as if the place is going through some renovation.
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:33 pm
@daverod,
But supposedly, these are 1 bedroom Studios?

Greater Grays Ferry Estates
3001 Moore St, Philadelphia, PA 19145

https://image3.apartmentfinder.com/i2/IP8gusk6UnSfTZu8mI094SwmMADbn1STJCweN41HujQ/117/greater-grays-ferry-estates-philadelphia-pa-primary-photo.jpg

Studio, 1 Bath

484 Avg Sq Ft

No Availability
apartmentfinder.com/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia-Apartments/Greater-Grays-Ferry-Estates-Apartments
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:37 pm
@daverod,
What do you get when you get a 6 bedroom home filled with 6 college aged go getters with nothing but time on their hands?

A sell out.

Resale value could be higher than original buying cost.
daverod

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:46 pm
@daverod,
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/italian-actor-and-comedian-gino-bramieri-smoking-a-cigarette-rome-picture-id174308547?s=594x594

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/08/20/business/art2a.jpg

The first is gino bramieri
The second is genshiro kawamoto
0 Replies