The A2K World Cup 2014 Striker Fantasy Game

fbaezer

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:22 pm
The Socceroos deserved better against Netherlands. Somehow it seemed to me that they still don't know how good they are, and they paid for that. Fun game.

The Spanish team had enormous solidarity with King Juan Carlos. "If he signs his abdication to the crown, so do we".
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:42 pm
Results day 7 (no players picked from the game still to be played)

1. fbaezer 23
2. Pantalones 16
3. eurocelticyankee 15
4. hingehead 14
5. McGentrix 13
5. lmur 13
7. Lordyasawas 11
7. Ticomaya 11
9. timur 6
10. George 5
11. ossobuco 5
George

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 04:39 pm
@fbaezer,
Oh boy.
Another point.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:03 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Frankly I keep giving it an honest try..but I still can't watch more than 5 mins here and there 'cause the action is just not what I prefer. There's too much diddling around midfield and not enough shots on goal.

But see, that's what makes the few opportunities that much more exciting. It's the lulls that make the exciting moments so rich.

That's why a basket in basketball is relatively unexciting. They happen all the time. (Ho-hum, another shot.) In soccer, the shots come much more infrequently, so when they do happen, it's an event.

Plus I think you haven't watched enough soccer. You don't understand why they're diddling around midfield. Many Americans share your view, for sure.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
I understand what you're saying, but I also understand all the diddling too. the pace is still skin-crawlingly fiddly and unproductive to me. Yes, I do understand the chess match going on with field management for positioning.

Worse still are the judges or referees and penalty calls. Now that is just criminal. All those non-calls and calls for flopping being such a major part of the break in the flow put me right off. How the referees or judges are qualified is a mystery. Some of them must need seeing eye dogs to find their own arses. Or they're being bribed often.

Believe me, that criticism of basketball about the relative meaningless baskets and action is valid. I generally watch the first quarter and the last 5 min of a typical b-ball game.

Being a fan of all major sports (and minor ones), I've watched soccer off and on since Pelé played for the NY Cosmos? 'Ya think I've watched it long enough?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:28 pm
@Ticomaya,
I've pretty much gotten that part, Tico and Ragman. I just don't know all the different formations and strategies yet, much less the whys of them, though I get there are strategies. Read something today about the earlier tiki-taka mode of Spain being well obsolete now (or so it said) with new attack maneuvers at some clubs.

I'm not a smart person on american type football formations either but I get all that somewhat more.

I'm seeing the same thing happening for me and soccer as many other sports - my key interest is the stories. Part of being raised reading sports columnists, for good or ill.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:08 pm
Do this next time you watch soccer...

When they pass, they will form a triangle of players so they can pass it around. Its always fun to watch the triangle form. Another thing to do is to try to follow a single player, strikers are always fun to watch in the background. See when they try to make breakaways and get behind the defense.

Usual great play is also fun. Players that can dribble well, players that play great D... all those players are fun to watch. Bear in mind that the players in world cup are the best in the world at what they do. Most also play in the EPL. Except those Spanish bastards....
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:37 pm
@McGentrix,
this one works the best of the ones you wrote about:

Quote:
Players that can dribble well, players that play great D... all those players are fun to watch.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:38 pm
Results day 8 (no players picked from the game still to be played, and taking into account all tiebreakers).
Suárez shakes it all.

1. fbaezer 29
2. Lordyasawas 21
2. lmur 21
4. Pantalones 16
5. McGentrix 15
6. eurocelticyankee 15
7. hingehead 14
8. George 11
9. ossobuco 11
10. Ticomaya 11
11. timur 6
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:00 pm
Good for Costa Rica again!
Oy vey, Italy. Balotelli won't get a kiss from the Queen, of course.
Pantalones

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I was really rooting for the Ticos and I'm sad to see England out so soon after two of the most entertaining matches so far.

I organized a draw for my friends and the last place also gives a modicate prize. We agreed that whoever Australia, Costa Rica and Honduras were the candidates for that prize. So far, Spain is taking those honors.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 03:08 pm
I am glad the Perfidious Albion is gone. Italy will pass over Uruguay, IMHO.
Concacaf time! (except for the feeble minded Hondurans)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 03:08 pm
@Pantalones,
Spain may win the losing prize just for the depth of the fall from grace (I'm beginning to like that phrase of yore). Honduras may be quite a possibility, we'll see, but they were never - that I know of and I don't know much futbol - at the tippy top. Australia seemed like it didn't know just how good it was.. as said by some commentator.

'Course, you are probably judging the biggest loser for mathematical reasons, which makes good sense.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 04:19 pm
Results day 9 (no players picked from the game still to be played, and taking into account all tiebreakers).
A failed penalty kick and a referee eager to end the game prevent hingehead from grabbing second place.

1. fbaezer 29
2. Lordyasawas 21
2. lmur 21
4. hingehead 17
5. Pantalones 16
6. McGentrix 15
7. eurocelticyankee 15
8. George 11
9. ossobuco 11
10. Ticomaya 11
11. timur 7
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 07:16 pm
Results day 10 (taking into account all tiebreakers).
Agüero and Higuaín have been but walking shadows, poor players that strut and fret their hour upon the pitch.

1. fbaezer 33
2. Lordyasawas 24
3. hingehead 21
4. lmur 21
5. McGentrix 20
5. eurocelticyankee 20
7. Pantalones 16
8. Ticomaya 16
9. ossobuco 15
10. timur 12
11. George 11
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 07:19 pm
@fbaezer,
I noticed that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, teams keep shifting on ability, which makes this all more interesting.

Iran, for heaven's sakes, picked up from the silly group, quite good (to me).

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 12:35 pm
@fbaezer,
Perfidious?

Useless....yes, talentless, maybe.....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 06:24 pm
No Hasard, no Lukaku and of course no Ronaldo. Stangings remain as od yesterday.
fbaezer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 06:26 pm
Concacaf in this World Cup:
Mexico defeats Cameroon and draws with Brazil.
Costa Rica defeats Uruguay and Italy.
USA defeats Ghana and draws with Portugal.

Honduras is adopted.