The A2K World Cup 2014 Striker Fantasy Game

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:05 pm
@fbaezer,
Since I follow by reading (though I flagged on that with Russia and South Korea), I look around later for photos and the occasional video my computer lets me see -

Just saw this with Ochoa - what a limber fellow..

http://soccer.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/17/guillermo-ochoa-neymar-brazil-mexico-world-cup?eref=sihp (scroll down a bit for the save)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:28 pm
This is Ochoa against Paris Saint Germain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV1xwRtAgxE
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:40 pm
@fbaezer,
(I can't see most youtubes, have a too old Mac, can't update). I can see them sometimes if there is an intermediary like the Guardian showing them.
Anyway, from what I read people saying, he really was in a state of grace as you said.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 07:22 am
@fbaezer,
Impressive.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 10:04 am
Oz versus Holland soon.

I'm guessing 5-1 win for Holland.

Robben and RVP will have a field day.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 10:06 am
@Lordyaswas,
Ooh! Its 'just started. I've cleaned the paint off my hands, made a sandwich or two and just about to knock the froth off a coldie.

See you at half time!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:36 pm
Australia played well, but lost 3-2.

Now Spain are up against it. They could get dumped out of the competition today.

Should be a very good game, as Spain have to pull out all the stops.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:55 pm
Ceremony just starting.....

My forecast : Spain 4 Chile 2
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:58 pm
It's always good to see the underdogs put up a scrappy fight. It was impressive how the Aussies went up 2-1 in the second half especially considering the lopsided predictions for the match.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I "watched" most of that, missed the Dutch comeback until I caught up. Oh, well, in any case the Aussies did quite well versus some expectations.

Now onto the Spain Chile episode..
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Fast start by Chile. What I've already noticed is that they have a loose group of seven at the back, who close up quickly into a tight circle of players who block the area around the penalty spot when Spain are anywhere near the box,
Talk about shutting the door.

Good game so far.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:44 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Chile just scored...2-nil. Alexis, the guy who set up the first goal, just made the second goal, 43:29 into the game. I really don't like these announcers. They say the oddest things...it's like having soccer gossip columnists. It sounds like the same announcer who I used to hear doing the Tour de France... Phil..?

Frankly I keep giving it an honest try..but I still can't watch more than 5 mins here and there 'cause the action is just not what I prefer. There's too much diddling around midfield and not enough shots on goal.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:49 pm
@Ragman,
Um, Casillas not doing so well in the WC so far, it seems.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:52 pm
@Ragman,
I got put off of a lot of announcers when I stayed with my cousins and their giant tv a few years ago (and I've watched sports near forever). My ideal on the WC would be to see the matches sans sound, or at least being able to mute it off and on, and read the guardian's play by play. They're nuts too, in their own special way, but quietly.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, you have found a reasonable solution.

Phil Ligget is his name ... or does he just sound like him?

I know that I was excited watching yesterday with Mexico-Brazil match ...with that Mexican goalie making that colossal save. Brazil-Mexico was a decent match. Of course, fans of Brazil might not say that.

Edit: Chilean fans just broke down some partitions in the stadium and mobbed the media center. Security has things under control after 15 mins.
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/mob-of-chilean-fans-storm-the-media-center--topple-walls-183731766.html
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:06 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Ceremony just starting.....

My forecast : Spain 4 Chile 2

Well, that's one half of my forecast correct. Now all that is needed is for Spain to score FOUR!

This is why I never gamble.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:07 pm
@Ragman,
I'm biased for Mexico anyway, but don't 'hate' Brazil. I was real happy with the outcome as good as it was and am crossing fingers re Mexico moving ahead from the group stage. And, Senor Ochoa is sans a regular team apparently - I'll be surprised if he doesn't get good offers. Or maybe he doesn't want them, since I don't know his history.

0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:25 pm
Looks like it's bye bye Spain. Perhaps they were drinking from the wrong water-bottle?
http://able2know.org/topic/43765-1
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:43 pm
@lmur,
Feels like a requiem for a team.

lmur

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
It does. Spain have been a credit to the beautiful game for eight years or so now. Congrats to Chile.
0 Replies