New Scandal: Argentina doped Brazilians in 1990 Football WC

fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:30 pm
First, the strange 1978 Peruvian debacle; then, "the hand of God", now this:

Bilardo 1990 water controversy blows up again

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Former Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo, a man famous for his ruthless approach and gamesmanship, was in the middle of a row on Wednesday involving a bottle of water, Brazil and the 1990 World Cup.

Bilardo appeared to imply in an interview with a Buenos Aires magazine that Argentina offered Brazil's players a bottle of water which had been drugged with a tranquilliser as the South American rivals met in a 1990 World Cup tie.

"I'm not saying it didn't happen," the controversial coach known as Big Nose told the magazine Veintitres.

However, as Brazilians, believing that Bilardo had confirmed what they had long suspected, were calling for action to be taken, the coach later denied the episode in an interview with Brazil's Estado News Agency.

"Not this again," he was quoted as saying.

"I don't know anything about it," added Bilardo, who led Argentina to World Cup victory in 1986. "These magazines always put what they want."

"Since then, I've spoken to Falcao, Casagrande, Junior, Dunga, (Carlos Alberto) Parreira, (Luiz Felipe) Scolari .. and nobody said anything about it."

The incident ranks alongside Argentina's 6-0 win over Peru, which took them to the 1978 World Cup final on goal difference at Brazil's expense, as one of the great controversies in the tournament's history.

Brazil were dominating the second round match, which was played in stifling heat, when an Argentine player went down injured in the second half and the team doctors and physiotherapists came on to the pitch.

The Argentine players took advantage to drink some water and some of their opponents, including leftback Blanco, came over to share some.

Argentina, who went on to reach the final, sneaked a late breakaway goal to win 1-0. Two days afterwards, Branco said that he had felt dizzy after drinking the water.

Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) general secretary Marco Antonio Teixeira said: "This is an extremely serious fact .. we're preparing a dossier."

Brazil's current coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said he found the story difficult to believe but said the incident should be investigated.

"It's something that needs to be better looked into," he told reporters. "I find it difficult to believe that a coach of Bilardo's standing (should be involved)."

Brazil's 1990 coach demands water investigation

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Former Brazil coach Sebastiao Lazaroni has demanded a FIFA investigation into allegations that full back Branco was offered contaminated water by Argentina during a second round tie in the 1990 World Cup.

Following the match Branco complained he felt dizzy and weak after drinking from a bottle offered by the Argentine players during an injury stoppage in the second half.

Argentina won 1-0 with a late Claudio Caniggia goal after Brazil had dominated from start to finish. They went on to reach the final where they lost 1-0 to West Germany.

One of the greatest World Cup mysteries resurfaced on Wednesday when Argentine magazine Veintitres published an interview with former Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo, who said: "I'm not saying it didn't happen."

Bilardo, famous for his gamesmanship, later said he knew nothing about any deliberate ploy to contaminate the water bottle.

"They've called me from Italy, Spain, England, Brazil ... it's a misunderstanding," said the man known as Big Nose (Narigon).

However, Lazaroni has still called for an investigation.

"If it's true, it's lamentable," Lazaroni told Reuters television in an interview.

"FIFA should investigate and, if it is confirmed, hand out exemplary punishment to those involved.

"It doesn't matter if it happened 14 days, 14 months or 14 years ago," added Lazaroni, who last year coached the Jamaican national team.

"Sport should be based on transparency and fair play and matches should be won by the team which has the best technical qualities," he added.

--------

Any comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,346 • Replies: 7
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
Not surprising seeing as how Maradona had to dry out for a while.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
I saw the video yesterday.

An Argentinian player is fouled. In come the doctor and the waterboy. An Argentinian player extracts a green bottle, starts to drink, the waterboy tells him something, he spits the content and is given a transparent bottle. Branco arrives, evidently asking for water. He's given a green bottle. Another Argentinian player is given a transparent bottle.
Another foul. In come the doctor and the waterboy. When Branco snoops, a green bottle is given to an Argentinian player who pretends to drink -but he really doesn't-. Another Brazilian player tries to look into the box brought by the waterboy, an Argentinian ostensibly moves to block his view.

They also presented part of a talk show in some smallish Argentinian TV station (at least the production was minimal). Two young fellows were interviewing Maradona (the show is recent, Maradone is obese), and he tells the water story. The boys laugh loudly.

It may have been, it may not have been. But, if you see it in a farm, it has duck feathers, walks like duck and goes quack quack, then it's a duck.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:57 pm
LOL great stuff...could it be?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:53 pm
This are Maradona declarations:

"Someone pinched a Royphnol and everything got rotten... all of them came to drink [the wtaer], the good old guys... I told them 'take it, take it Valdito [Valdo] and Branco drank it all. Afterwards he fell after shooting the free kicks"

Rophynol is a potent tranquilizer. It reduces anguish, but can provoke lack of coordination, unstable walking and dryness in the mouth.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:07 pm
Yeow!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:22 am
Amradona and then this...

It's sheer BOLSHEVISM. Unacceptable.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Ray wrote:
Amradona and then this...

It's sheer BOLSHEVISM. Unacceptable.

Bolshevism? LOL

Julio Grondona, head of the Argentinian Football Federation says Maradona "wasn't in his senses".
Grondona was appointed by the military junta, and had been at the helm for 27 years. During that time, several Argentinian teams have gone bankrupt, and Argentina has become a breeding ground for "leg exports"

Macri, the owner of Boca Juniors said: "This is something we can't be proud of. The so-called national shrewedness has damaged us." Galindez, the 1990 waterboy, and close friend of Bilardo, replied: "You're attacking Argentina!, I don't want to see you in court, I want to see you one on one, in the street!".
0 Replies